Fly Tying
Camocole

Whiting chicks

Yeah, I've been contemplating such a purchase, Flafly. But I am not sure I'd even use enough to warrant that little amount of money.

Oh, I could never use all these feathers in my remaining lifetime... not at the rate that I tie, but on the other hand when I do want to try something, like a streamer, etc., I can end up spending (or wasting) more than that trying to cut corners. Once I got them, I have them forever, so I don't have to do without when I need to try something.

on the other other hand, it didn't have any Wyandotte feathers, so I went and bought a couple of packs... one undyed and the other in various colors, from JoAnn Fabric Shop. I couldn't help myself.

Camo... at LEAST three dozen. At 20 bucks, that would be about 50 cents per cape.

I agree with Silver Creek. The theory that an amateur can just start breeding the birds by trial and error is really a stretch. Dr. Whiting is a PhD poultry geneticist with decades of experience on top of extensive scientific training. Sure, an amateur might get lucky, but chances are slim. An example of the sophistication at the Whiting farm is the development of birds with longer legs so that the valuable saddle feathers drag on the ground less, offering a better (and more profitable) product. This trait had to be combined with the feather quality factors. It ain't easy.

Thanks, Bob H

Not sure I agree totally... people have been selectively breeding animals without the need for a PhD for centuries. Doing it with a species with long germination period and only one baby at a time (like elephants) would be tough. With an animal that has multiple generations per year and potentially large number of offspring (like hmmm... a chicken) less tough. It seems reasonable that a rooster with relatively long hackle probably has a gene for that feature on at least one of his paired chromosomes, so it seems likely that some of his male offspring would have that gene. For genes with multiple alleles, there's a good chance that some of his offspring may actually have longer hackle (depending on the genes contributed through the hen/mother). For a person that has a flock of chickens all the time it seems easy enough to try as a hobby. Probably they won't achieve Whiting's success, certainly not overnight, but there's no harm in trying.

The only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve is the fear of failure. (Paulo Coelho, Writer)

...which explains why there are hundreds of hackle farms with the same quality as Whiting, and why a cape and saddle of top quality is no more expensive than a Wal-Mart rotisserie chicken.

Yes you could breed your own, but it will take a long time to get truly high quality hackle. Consider that it took Henry Hoffman about 25 years before he sold his business to Whiting and another 25 years to get to where we are today.

It seems your attitude would be the reason. " It can't be done so why try" . No one is saying you will get Whiting quality , but you can get hackle that can be used. I've been tying for over 40 years, so I've seen the rise of genetic hackle. You should have seen the stuff we used before that !

I used the "stuff we used before that" and I don't care to go back to it.

Not my intention. I just think one should have realistic expectations. If you enjoy the process then go for it, just don't expect Whiting ( or Metz or Collins...) quality hackle very soon.

Could someone please show a store hackle compared to a home grown hacle

And jaydub dont take this post in the wrong way

But the biggest reason I made this post is I live far out and its hard to just got to the store and drop 60 to 100 dollars for one color every week its not possible so I came up with the stupid conclusion to buy whiting chicks.

Sure waiting 25 years is a figgin long time but if I need to get dome decent hackle with out asking my mom to drive

Me to the fly shop and buy 1 item for $100 every week nope

Thats what you call attempting suicide haha.

Could someone please show a store hackle compared to a home grown hacle

Can you find someone in your area that has a rooster? See if you can actually go look at the feathers and you will see for yourself how usable the hackle will be.