Fly Tying
Camocole

Whiting chicks

This looks a lot like the one she had, but it had longer saddle hackle.

post-52210-0-39014600-1456282163_thumb.jpg

Yeah Henry, but think of the fun and enjoyment of being able to make his own hackle strain, even though it may not be as great as the commercial lines. If I lived where I could raise chickens, I'd sure as heck try. As for dragging the ground, maybe he can rig up some chicken stilts. :-)

Camacole... you don't happen to have a picture of that skin? Like to see it.

If your talking about the rooster ill take one tommorow

On Ebay you can sometimes buy Flytie genetic hatching eggs and if you look up Boggy Bottom Bantams on the inter web he sells his breed of Fly tie genetic chicks and eggs.

Howard Hackle Business is for sale. www.howardhackle.com

Yup he has been looking to get out for while now. Extremely long saddles. No whiting but great for fishing flies.

Work with what you have. My niece and her husband had a couple of Araucana they kept in their back yard for eggs and eventually a chicken dinner or two.

post-309-0-31734100-1456358773_thumb.jpg

They sent me some feathers from the first one they made into dinner and asked me to tie some flies for his father when he went to New Zealand. I tied some nymphs and they later sent me some pictures of the trout he caught on them, the likes of which I'll never see in my life time. They had to kill the last one(the brown one in the picture)when they moved from Austin, TX to Porcupine, SD and gave me a batch of feathers as a birthday present. You can tie some really nice nymphs and soft hackles with them. He's already got some invitations to fish up there, so some more nymphs will be tied. He also has some invitations to go hunting. So I'm expecting to have a good supply of pheasant tails later this year

Got a little off subject. Would be fun to raise your own little lines even if they weren't as nice as say the hackles on the market though. :)

Trouble with chickens that people eat is that they usually pluck them and leave the skin on, especially on the back (saddle).

Trouble with chickens that people eat is that they usually pluck them and leave the skin on, especially on the back (saddle).

I wouldn't mind getting a bag full of feathers. Especially if the cost is closer to my budget. I will probably never own a "cape" or a "neck" or a "saddle" because I don't pay those prices for my materials.

If it took 60 years to develop what we have today

whiting is not about to sell their moneymaking chicks to just anybody especially the public

Mike... I know this won't impress the purists, but a couple of years back I bought a "Whitings fly tyers variety pack" from Cabela's for 20 bucks, and they still are advertising it. Got a big bag of capes, lots of different grizzlies, and lots of different colored dyed capes... about 3 dozen altogether. They aren't those real long high quality things you see posted on this site, but they're good enough for me at my level and interest.