Fly Tying

I place a small spot of glue onto the back of my thumbnail and using my nail like a painters pallet I lift of the glue with a fine needle and place it on the fly. The residue on the thumbnail can be scrapped off when dryish

I just apply glue directly to the needle from the bottle. I do that with head cement too.

Zap a gap has a nice long neck and will remain liquid for months uncapped. I believe docs use a form of CA to secure certain wounds. I've used it deliberately to stop bleeding after slicing the tip of my finger. I also use CA securing gel spun to the hook when starting a hair bug. It has many uses in brushable, thin, medium and gel formulas.

I once glued 2 fingers together in a small spot with zap a gap. Wife knew fingernail polish remover would do the trick and it did! Put some on the glue spot and work it in, fingers came unstuck and no harm done.

Bob

I will have to find it again, but there are some fine nozzles that fit on the zap-a-gap bottle that allow putting a very small drop on the fly.

Rick

I use Zap A Gap but I hope you've gleaned that it is not necessary. Plus Zap A Gap is just one brand of CA glue. Search Zap A Gap at amazon. com and you'll find a ton of versions, including the tiny tips for detailed application.

Pacer Technologies markets Zap A Gap. Pacer also offers a product called Z-7 Debonder which claims it works for removing all CA glues.

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=zap/zap-z-7-debonder

eric

fresno, ca.

All CA adhesives are not created equal. Many are water soluble, Crazy Glue for example.

My understanding fron Bill Hunter of Hunter's Angling Supply, is that a customer of his could not tie a knot in mono very well. He was a chemist and made up Zap-a-Gap, resistant to water effects. Use it on tippet/leader knots and the first widely marketed CA waterproof was introduced to fly fishing. A mono knot does not fail until it slips.

Regards,

FK

I use Zap A Gap but I hope you've gleaned that it is not necessary. Plus Zap A Gap is just one brand of CA glue. Search Zap A Gap at amazon. com and you'll find a ton of versions, including the tiny tips for detailed application.

Pacer Technologies markets Zap A Gap. Pacer also offers a product called Z-7 Debonder which claims it works for removing all CA glues.

http://www.supergluecorp.com/?q=zap/zap-z-7-debonder

eric

fresno, ca.

This is the right answer and the product works quite well...twenty posts later...

I sand paper it off my finger tips. And yeah moisten your fingers first with some water and it will lessen the issue

Zap a gap has a nice long neck and will remain liquid for months uncapped.

What brand was that?

This has not been my experience at all. I accidentally left a bottle of Zap-a-Gap (name brand), with the long skinny applicator, open overnight, and it was shot by the next morning. Nothing for it but to throw it away.

Since then, I've gone to the Loc-tite control gel, though I do have some Z-a-G brush-on that I have yet to use.

Cold; I have applicator tips but dont use them. I took a picture last Thursday for a thread below. This is just a corner of that picture that shows "Wonder Wax", Liquid Fusion, brushable LCA and brushable (Wapsi I think) CA and other chemicals. The three arrows are pointing to 6 month old Zap-A-Gap pink (thin) and a year+ old Zap-A-Gap Green and just the tip of a six month old Zap-A-Gap green. None of these are covered. Tha larger bottle may need a poke with a bodkin but all three are liquid. I haven't found a reason to cap them except they do a hell of a job on the formica top on my workbench if spilled. No high end furniture for me. Mabe the adhesive in the long shiny applicator hardened.

post-54877-0-63943000-1462821591_thumb.jpg

As to the original poster's issue with heat reaction, it may be that your skin/system is simply reactive to a chemical in zap a gap. try a different brand. or go without.

eric

fresno, ca.