Fly Tying

Glad to see another argument was avoided lol.

My parents argue so much and it just really sucks when you guys do it... Glad it didnt happen!

I'm sorry for that last forum. And allowing that to get so heated.

Bolt on plastic parts can always be replaced with metal ones if needed!

Yeah, i really don't have that big of an issue with them. I just was making a comment to the construction. It would be nice to be metal, but I am quite happy with the vise either way. I hear they have excellent customer service, so if they do somehow break I think Wolff industries will fix it or replace it. (I am hearing from many people that they won't break though).

I tied one fly on it so far, been very busy the last few days. I tied a really great crawdad fly. I plan on making a video coming up soon on that fly. I will say, I have to get used to the vise, but so far, so good. I really do like it a lot.

Any recommendation on the jaws and clamping them? It seems like the lever gets stuck a bit occasionally. Should I oil it or anything?

Just keep an eye out in the future, never know where you might find a alloy or metal part that will work! Then you'll have a pimped up or tuned up vise!:-)

Yeah the Peak vise has plastic screws, not just the head but the whole screw. They have brass replacements for them.

You might contact the company about the sticky jaws and see what they say. That doesn't sound right. You seemed to be having trouble getting the pre set adjusted right in the video, are you sure you aren't cramming the jaws down too tight ? On another note, a little lube never hurts.

the "plastic" screw is actually a "metal" screw with a molded plastic part to make it into a thumb screw for easier tightening.

6123034-23.jpg84casobz.jpg

it is stated in the video that he would have like to have seen it as a metal screw but it really is metal. it is not there to cheapen the vise as stated in the video

more inspection will reveal that

atlas_vise_close3.jpg

19782.jpg

T-Head Thumb Screw Knobs can be press-fit onto screws to create a small knob for clamping or securing. These knobs can be used with any length screw and the T-Head design provides extra leverage when tightening.

once the vise stem is inserted into the pedestal base and the thumb screw finger tightened, how is it going to break?

that thumb screw was rotated/played with in the video for a longer amount of time than is ever needed to just tighten it in the pedestal smile.png

Yeah the Peak vise has plastic screws, not just the head but the whole screw. They have brass replacements for them.

You might contact the company about the sticky jaws and see what they say. That doesn't sound right. You seemed to be having trouble getting the pre set adjusted right in the video, are you sure you aren't cramming the jaws down too tight ? On another note, a little lube never hurts.

That's what she says... Lol ok sorry, Bad dad joke...

I know I'm not cramming them down. I wasn't used to the setting. They actually were staying open. I'll take a pic later today and show you why I think they are sticky.

the "plastic" screw is actually a "metal" screw with a molded plastic part to make it into a thumb screw for easier tightening.

6123034-23.jpg84casobz.jpg

it is stated in the video that he would have like to have seen it as a metal screw but it really is metal. it is not there to cheapen the vise as stated in the video

more inspection will reveal that

atlas_vise_close3.jpg

19782.jpg

T-Head Thumb Screw Knobs can be press-fit onto screws to create a small knob for clamping or securing. These knobs can be used with any length screw and the T-Head design provides extra leverage when tightening.

once the vise stem is inserted into the pedestal base and the thumb screw finger tightened, how is it going to break?

that thumb screw was rotated/played with in the video for a longer amount of time than is ever needed to just tighten it in the pedestal smile.png

For the 3rd time, I really don't have much of a problem with the screws, it was the first time I saw the vise, and I still think the vise is a great vise. It was litterally an initial comment.

I tightened the thumb screw however long it took... There wasn't any trickery here (not sure if that's what you were implying). Maybe I did something wrong?

Ya, McFly, you have said that. But for the sake of the video listening audience , well you put that information out there so now it might just be a concern to someone besides you, like maybe me for instance. Again, as I've said elsewhere in the forums, not just to you so don't get all twisted over it, words have consequences and they have meaning. It's an open forum with open discussion, it's not always about you. Others besides you might just have a concern about the "plastic screws" you spoke of. And so it gets discussed. I very much like the information flytire put up and consider it accurate. I could go on and say much more but will end there.

That's what she says... Lol ok sorry, Bad dad joke...

I know I'm not cramming them down. I wasn't used to the setting. They actually were staying open. I'll take a pic later today and show you why I think they are sticky.

Yes, I would be interested in knowing more about that.

I like to say that the Brits and the US are two countries separated by a common language.

In the USA the common usage is Fly Tying VISE. In Great Britain Fly Tying VICE is commonly used. See all the fly tying vices on these British sites:

http://www.grampianfishing.com/vices-accessories-c-36_61.html

http://www.troutcatchers.co.uk/fly-vices-c102x2679514

http://www.fly-fishing-tackle.co.uk/acatalog/fly_tying_vices.html

Both terms are used but like a hook GAP or hook GAPE, there are prefered usages.

See the second usage of "Vice" below:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vice

vice 2

(vīs)

n. & v.
Variant of vise.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/vice:

American heritage Dictionary

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=vice

noun

& v.

Variant of vise.
Wickitionary:
Noun

(plural vices)

1. A mechanical screw apparatus used for clamping or holding (also spelled vise).
  2. A tool for drawing lead into cames, or flat grooved rods, for casements.

I like to say that the Brits and the US are two countries separated by a common language.

In the USA the common usage is Fly Tying VISE. In Great Britain Fly Tying VICE is commonly used. Both terms are used but like a hook GAP or hook GAPE, there are prefered usages.

See the second usage of "Vice" below:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vice

vice 2

(vīs)

n. & v.
Variant of vise.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/vice:

American heritage Dictionary

https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=vice

noun

& v.

Variant of vise.
Wickitionary:
Noun

(plural vices)

1. A mechanical screw apparatus used for clamping or holding (also spelled vise).
  2. A tool for drawing lead into cames, or flat grooved rods, for casements.

Blah, Im an ignorant American. What can I say? Haha. English as I know it is as Cheech mentioned it, But hell, there is ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat. Brits and Americans almost never do the same thing the same way. Gotta be different man. Stick it to the man.

The Etymology (word origin) of VISE is from the Anglo-French VICE, hence the equivalency of VICE and VISE in usage. VICE is the original version of VISE, hence the meaning of VISE derives from from the meaning of VICE. As noted below, VISE did not come into usage until the 1500s.

Despite the equivalency of VICE and VISE, I still wince when I see Fly tying VICE rather than VISE or fly fishing POLE instead of fly fishing ROD. I wish fly tying VICE would fall out of usage. I hate being reminded that fly tying is a vice as in the primary definition.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=vise&allowed_in_frame=0

vise (n.) dictionary.gif early 14c., "a winch, crane," from Anglo-French vice, Old French vis, viz "screw," from Latin vitis "vine, tendril of a vine," literally "that which winds," from root of viere "to bind, twist" (see withy). Also in Middle English, "device like a screw or winch for bending a crossbow or catapult; spiral staircase; the screw of a press; twisted tie for fastening a hood under the chin." The modern meaning "clamping tool with two jaws closed by a screw" is first recorded c. 1500.

But hell, there is ALWAYS more than one way to skin a cat.

As long as this is taking a turn for the linguistic... I have heard this countless times since I moved to the US. I want to know exactly how many ways there are, and who came up with them, you bunch of sickos...!!!

:D

or teach some tyers/tiers when to use there they're their, to too two, dye/die, weather wether whether etc

by bye buy :)