Fly Tying

I am totally baffled why anyone would want a click-pawl reel. You can get small arbor reels for very low prices with disc drags and sprague clutch systems.

Only $30.00

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Intruder-Fly-Reel-WF4F/60yds/20lb/product/120829053246141/

But if you want Click-pawl ... for $119.00 The redesigned Medalist.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Medalist-Fly-Reel/product/2277926/#desc-tab

Click-pawl reels are cool. It's the click part and simpler design that makes it smile.png

Besides the Medalist, you can find new:

Orvis Battenkill $109.

LL Bean Pocket Water $89 (i have one of these bought used/like new @ $60, nice reel)

Cabelas offers their new CGR reel for $59, often on sale

If you had to go Bass Pro, they offer their Classic Ultra-Light for $99
Anglers Roost offers something for $89

http://theanglersroost.com/products/fly-reels/princess-lightweight-34-titanium-reel-made-for-34wt-lines/

if you want to spend more, and had money to burn, look at the Hardy lightweight series.

I personally like the new Ross Colorado LT but way out of my range and not small arbor

http://www.rossreels.com/colorado-lt.html

Or find an original used Ross Colorado which has a small arbor

All of the above reels should last forever.

If you want to go cheaper but good quality, buy used. Buy used vintage reels for extra character, like a Meisselbach Airex, found for $50 or less online. I have three of these in my collection.

There are many more options in used vintage, but that could start a serious addiction coupled with late night frenzied research on forums dedicated to such reels. Which is fun too.

eric

fresno, ca.

Some like blondes, some like brunettes, even if the cost of entry is steep for the one you love.

I like my Battenkills but I haven't tried the new redesigned one. Mine have a small disk drag and a click pawl. You can see the quality in materials and workmanship, yet simplicity of them. The new one is pure click pawl, I haven't experienced one yet.. Course if you must have a Hardy you probably won't like the new or old Battenkill.

All I ask of reels in that size is that they have a drag that runs smoothly at a light, non- overrun, setting and have a palming rim. IMO. palming the reel is far more effective/flexible drag than any preset high tech system. As for the noise, I could care less either way.

Rocco

I recently got into the market for a click-pawl reel for one of my very lightweight rods that needed a super-lightweight reel to balance it properly. The only reels with disc-drags that were light enough were over $300, while the Redington "Zero" was $89.

I'm also one of those people who like the clicking sound. :)

I am totally baffled why anyone would want a click-pawl reel. You can get small arbor reels for very low prices with disc drags and sprague clutch systems.

Only $30.00

http://www.basspro.com/White-River-Fly-Shop-Intruder-Fly-Reel-WF4F/60yds/20lb/product/120829053246141/

But if you want Click-pawl ... for $119.00 The redesigned Medalist.

http://www.basspro.com/Pflueger-Medalist-Fly-Reel/product/2277926/#desc-tab

Gee, if that baffles you, you must be baffled a lot, HA! Like a dummy I bought one for trout and it's just not right. But, I use it for chasing pan fish and it works really well.

"Gee, if that baffles you, you must be baffled a lot, HA! Like a dummy I bought one for trout and it's just not right. But, I use it for chasing pan fish and it works really well."

I suppose ... When I go fishing, I want to hear the sounds of the wild. Birds singing, raptors screaming in the sky, Wild game running through the wooded areas on both sides of the river. I want to hear the water, the splash of a fish taking a top water popper.

What I don't want to hear is a "New Years" party noise maker ... and that's all I hear if I've got a click-pawl. I've had them ... and got rid of them as soon as I could. Didn't even want to sell 'em ... just threw them away.

Depending on your budget, a good basic click & pawl is the Cortland Rimfly reels, also made under the Leeda name. They were made in England for Cortland, and show up sometimes on Ebay. I've been using them for many years and own several. For a 4 wt, either the small or medium size should work. They can be had for $35 or less.

The Okuma Sierra is another reel I use on my 3 & 4 wt rods, but it has a drag. Another very good reel for the price.

every now and then you can pick up an older Hardy Marquis online for around $100. you can't beat the sound of old hardys. There are a number of hardy made orvis reels that have the same sort of sound.

I suppose ... When I go fishing, I want to hear the sounds of the wild. Birds singing, raptors screaming in the sky, Wild game running through the wooded areas on both sides of the river. I want to hear the water, the splash of a fish taking a top water popper.

What I don't want to hear is a "New Years" party noise maker ... and that's all I hear if I've got a click-pawl. I've had them ... and got rid of them as soon as I could. Didn't even want to sell 'em ... just threw them away.

What he said.

Only folks I know who use them are guys who can barely hear anyway but like to make sure everyone else around knows they have a fish on. These are the same guys who love the sound so much, they often play the fish too long.

I have a Battenkill click 'n Pawl and I love it for pan fishing. For bigger trout I wouldn't recommend it, but to each his own. I had a big brown on last year during the October Caddis hatch. I couldn't even slow the fish up. That's when I decided to used it for pan fish. I think it's great for small fish.

See Mike and Whatfly, I like to get a decent fish on the reel as quick as possible. Never liked having a bunch of line laying around with fish capable of ripping line like salmon and steelhead do. When I get a fish like that on the reel nothing sounds better TO ME than that sound of a big fish ripping line off a click pawl Hardy or equivalent. By getting them on the reel I believe I can cut the time I play them rather than the other way around, and I'm far less likely to get a tangle of line caught in the stripper and send that fish on his carrying a fly in his jaw and maybe dragging some tippet. I have had and do have so many reels I can go noisy or silent at any line weight but click pawl is always going to be my favorite and am happy to see the new Medalist went to that system. Maybe I'll sell a few of my old Medalists and spools and try one of them out.

Nick