Fly Tying
bulb

back pain @22 yrs. . .

If lighting really is the problem there is a great DIY tying lamp article here on Global Flyfisher.

Given you are travelling you can make this into a travel light by replacing the mains USB adaptor with one of the power packs that Apple have made ubiquitous with their terrible battery life. You could even get a solar powered one, for those periods you can't access mains electricity to charge it. This set up would be small and light enough to travel with.

Cheers,

C.

I like the tying lamp. We don't have an Ikea but we do have several big box stores. Will have to check this out.

The problem is the back. When I was young I convinced myself it was a back muscle problem and not a disk problem. I could not bear to think that it was a disk problem. It was a disk problem. After learning it was a disk I was able to properly deal with it. Exercise, lumbar support, lift with the knees, no carrying heavy things on my back and I reducedmy back swing to about 70%. Sitting for hours at a time is not an option regardless of the chair, the lighting or the vise. I can't tie for more then a 1/2 hour without having to get up but that's a mental thing that my back benefits from. I will also tie standing up. It's actually pretty comfortable. Enjoy your travels.

What can be taken away from all of this is, exercise, don't stay in the same position for extended periods and get it checked out. It sucks to have back issues.

Getting old isn't for the faint of heart.

Hi Hugo,

After years tying commercial, we both have back pain problems. To manage the back pain, we do three things. First, we use a very good office/rolling/adjustable height chair for about 30 to 45 minutes then stop tying long enough to put on a "stretchy" back brace and tie for another 30 or so minutes. We find switching back and forth with the back brace on then off really helps. THEN after a few hours of tying, we tie for an hour or so in a "kneel-in" chair for a change in position. By never spending a lot of time in any one position and changing regularly, we manage to keep the back aches to a minimum. Also, a doctor friend recommended a pain pill combo the works for us. We take one extra strength Tylenol and one Alieve as a two-pill combo when the pain gets difficult. The pills and a quick walk around the block can get us back at the vise for another hour or so. Good luck with finding a solution to your "pain problem." Let us know what works for you and only take pain pills if your body doesn't react negatively to them. Take care & ...

Not for everyone but...

I built my own tying desk, higher than most. It is 38" high which allows me to use an extension chair that adjusts height to put my eye nearly level with the vice jaws. ( I used to get neck pains from long sessions but no longer.) My legs extend nearly straight down so I can juse the chair as a butt rest with feet touching the floor or scoot deeper onto the seat and put my feet on the lower bar rest. Changing positions frequently is easy.

Now if I had just been smart enough to make the table surface twice as big....it would have twice as much refuse on it.

Rocco

I know this is an old post, but how about just get up and move around before the pain gets to you?? I deal with the results of three separate service related back injuries every single day, and a combination of exercise, stretching, being acutely aware of how I move, and also aware of how I sit makes life tolerable most of the time.

Surprisingly, the two most comfortable places for me to sit are the driver's seat of my Outback, and the AirProMax seat in my kayak! smile.png

I always kind of chuckle at the "oh my back hurts after I've been sitting tying for an hour" complaints... get the F up and move around some! Unless you're in an african sweatshop tying commercial flies, there is nobody forcing you sit for long periods in front of your vise.

X2 jsmy... I had a spinal burst fracture and lots of surgery to put humpty together again in 2011. A second back surgery in 15 and a third this last October. Changing positions, moving, avoid prolonged sitting are great advice. After that beer and bourbon and rum.

At the price, fisherboy, that desk should hold materials in place for me.

Maybe JS could get one, and it will massage his neck when his hackles get stirred up !!!

I know this is an old post, but how about just get up and move around before the pain gets to you?? I deal with the results of three separate service related back injuries every single day, and a combination of exercise, stretching, being acutely aware of how I move, and also aware of how I sit makes life tolerable most of the time.Surprisingly, the two most comfortable places for me to sit are the driver's seat of my Outback, and the AirProMax seat in my kayak! :)I always kind of chuckle at the "oh my back hurts after I've been sitting tying for an hour" complaints... get the F up and move around some! Unless you're in an african sweatshop tying commercial flies, there is nobody forcing you sit for long periods in front of your vise.

For now, I am going to wait for a tier, that must, or does, produce flies to make their living, address this post.

Personally, I agree with most of this, but there may be aspects involved here, of which Joel is not aware. I must commend him once again for his blunt, no bullshit style. No one is forced to guess what he thinks.

In the interim, kayak drivers, perhaps you would post or send me a link to that seat information, especially Hobie owners that may have done a retro-fit or replacement of their factory seat.

Carry On....

This is probably not relevant, but I thought my spine was hurting. Pain running down my leg. What was causing it was my wallet with a lot of plastic in it, back when I was spending time on my computer. Slimmed down my wallet and the pain disappeared. Worth a try.

Also, I use a standup desk at work with a comfort pro gel mat that I stand on. The adjustable desk by steel case is expensive but for me was worth it.