Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

Thanks guys. These were all on bobbers and minnows in thick cover. It's crazy how you can pull 5 fish from an opening in the grass the size of your hand.

I watched several other boats around us jigging, catching smaller and fewer fish. I have done it a bunch in the past, and know several people who have been doing very good with them. I have tied a few in the past too, but I'm just more confident in a live minnow. Besides, I enjoy the lazy way of just kicking back a watching a spread of bobbers bob

post-59266-0-66680700-1516563905_thumb.jpg

post-59266-0-11663900-1516571776_thumb.jpg

It probably varies from place to place, but up here most people troll jigs for best results. It's what's worked best for me, even better than live minnows. When in central Florida, we use minnows and crush them. Up here the specks tend to stay in open water until February when they move into the shallows to spawn. Maybe that has something to do with the effectiveness of trolling, but it does work incredibly here

FRn ... this is the "No fly zone" ... so, probably minnows below a bobber.

You nailed it...

I have been tying and building some Crappie jigs for neighbor celebrating new boat purchase. I fully expect him to fish these under a slip bobber, tipping them with minnows. This effort should be worth a fish fry or two, maybe a few trips to Keyhole or Tongue River Reservoirs, if Spring thaw ever gets here.

When two rods are legal I have frequently bait-fished with one and fly cast with another. Filet and release for me on Crappies, Walleyes, and large Yellow Perch... We will be prepared...

We used to troll a spread of 12 rods. Starting with two 5' on the stern, and getting longer all the way up the sides to 14' rods coming off the sides of the bow in a Carolina skiff. Trolled pink/orange curly tailed grubs on jig heads. We killed the crappie in lakes along the St. John's river in Florida. Caught lots of big bluegill, bass, and stripers/hybrids too. Even catfish and gar.

A nice catch of lakers and brookies. Before the C&R guys start yelling at me they were taken from a remote lake that only has winter access for about two months. Less than 100 fisherman days per year.

post-46209-0-07695400-1516732355_thumb.jpg

Good stuff Lesg! Thanks for sharing.

I knew I wasn't the only person on here who fishes with something other than a fly. I didn't mean to turn this thread into my own brag board.

So let's see some more fish pics NOT taken on fly.

Caloosa,

If I limited myself to flyfishing only I'd be staring out the window for 6 or 7 months of the year. lol I try to enjoy the winter as well as the other seasons. My wife says that I am the only person that claims to like winter and really means it.

Les

I took my wife out on a private lake behind my mother in laws place.No public access...its paradise!Caught these two whoppers on spoonless beetle spin and super light GX2 combos!Mine was 2-2.5lbs and hers was a flat 3!Hers was a damn hog!

post-3092-0-39917300-1516745869_thumb.jpg

post-3092-0-40423300-1516745968_thumb.jpg

"Scuse" my french, but Holy Shit ... those are Bass in Crappie camouflage, Zip !!!

That 3 pounder is, indeed, a HOG !!!

"Scuse" my french, but Holy Shit ... those are Bass in Crappie camouflage, Zip !!!

That 3 pounder is, indeed, a HOG !!!

Thanks,Mike!I told her by any anglers standard's, they were big fish.Im not sure it really sunk in with her that it was a true trophy sized fish.I was just glad to be able to take her out and catch something nice since she doesn't fish a lot.

Some monster specks there Zip!

Congrats to my bud Brandon McMillan and his little brother Jared. Both in the top 5 on the first stop of the FLW tour here in our backyard. It's a great start to the season.

See the clip of Brandon going, "all out" to land a good one. All while keeping his hand on the boat to avoid disqualifying the fish.

https://youtu.be/L3fU0bq7qJs

post-59266-0-82964900-1517243056_thumb.jpg

LMAO!He did not want to lose that fish!

Hah !!!

Went right in after that girl !!! Lost a rod and was fixin' to lose another one hooked in the weeds, I think (slipping off screen at the lower right).

I hope he needed that one to win ... and that he won with it !!!