Fly Tying
xterrabill

Show your bench

Couldn’t find the kind of desk and top shelving/storage I wanted so I built this one

8C92657B-FCBB-4E67-B157-EF013464FC6B.jpeg

Very nice.  Where did you get the multi colored drawer units on the right side of the table.  Is that one unit or three units stacked.

I suppose one of the few good things to come as a result of the pandemic is that I had enough time at home to finally finish my tying area.   I built the rod holder out of a cabinet I had in the basement and my wife and I stripped and painted the watch makers cabinet.  We looked for years before finding a cabinet (at a reasonable price) that would fit in the space under the window.  This is the way I pictured it would look when I started fly tying and I think I'm pretty much done.  Next project- the card board tube in the rod holder contains a bamboo 3 weight blank that I just received. This will be the 3rd bamboo rod I've done.  The first 2 (5 Wt and 6 Wt) were left for dead restorations.   I ordered this one new from the maker.  I'll post a thread about the process.

IMG_9127.thumb.JPG.c1d295bc6eccc133539cf6cb7376a582.JPGIMG_9118.thumb.JPG.4861f2f8d90644292f2506528c9d70c8.JPGIMG_9119.thumb.JPG.097ddc86c13cda55015607ed6a00b0a9.JPGIMG_9116.thumb.JPG.ac6f2062c9c5ab33f766187dac92c567.JPG

I would like to send you photos, but I have no storage shelves and well equipped space. I can only spend time with my hobby during lunch time on time tracking software, so I'm really looking forward to having my own creative corner at home! 

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

Perfect 10 @DFoster

Thank you all  - I don't know about perfect but it's certainly evolved over the years to better suit my particular method of tying.   As I've posted before my desk occupies a corner of my wife's home office.  I keep it tidy, clean and above all every hook is accounted for (we have a dog and cat).  Both my wife and I are very organized people and for me it's a non issue.  Free time can be hard to come by and I hate wasting it hunting for things hidden in a mess.  I generally stick with tying traditional trout flies for the year plus a few dozen Atlantic Salmon Flies for our October river run so I don't need as much material storage as someone tying a wider range of flies.  It may be wishful thinking but I'm hoping the watch makers cabinet will be it for storage.  It's at about 70% capacity now but honestly it's pretty rare that I don't have a material needed or something very close.  

By the way only us old guys or a serious gymnastics fan will have any idea who Nadia is 😁

12 hours ago, tferg said:

I'll give you 10 bucks for that cabinet under the window ha ha. Nice.

Because my tying area is in my wife's office I do my best to keep it looking nice.   When it came to storage I thought no problem I'll just get a cabinet and flat file cabinets are as classic to fly tying as a roll top desk.  It was a great plan until I started looking for one.  The used prices were landing in the "fine antique furniture" category - I'm talking thousands of dollars.   Personally I just can't justify that kind of money to store feathers and fur.  So when my wife found this one on FB market place at $340 I called immediately.  After 3 years of searching an hour later I finally had my cabinet. 

13 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

My plans rarely come together that nice. Great job!

Mine either and it's usually poor planning/rushing that are to blame.  This past Covid year really slowed life down for a while and It gave me time to focus on what I was trying to do.  My wife has been telling me for 20 years that I suck at multi tasking- 😉

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Because my tying area is in my wife's office I do my best to keep it looking nice.   When it came to storage I thought no problem I'll just get a cabinet and flat file cabinets are as classic to fly tying as a roll top desk.  It was a great plan until I started looking for one.  The used prices were landing in the "fine antique furniture" category - I'm talking thousands of dollars.   Personally I just can't justify that kind of money to store feathers and fur.  So when my wife found this one on FB market place at $340 I called immediately.  After 3 years of searching an hour later I finally had my cabinet. 

Mine either and it's usually poor planning/rushing that are to blame.  This past Covid year really slowed life down for a while and It gave me time to focus on what I was trying to do.  My wife has been telling me for 20 years that I suck at multi tasking- 😉

Your wife sounds mean, I'd tell her to get her office out of my fly tying room. Tell her that, see how it works.😄

3 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Your wife sounds mean, I'd tell her to get her office out of my fly tying room. Tell her that, see how it works.😄

Well Mark, saying that to her could result in any one of a whole range of unpleasant possibilities.  At one end of the spectrum she might serve Kale covered in fat free dressing with non alcoholic beer dinner 🤢  or at the other there's getting stabbed in my sleep - not as bad as the kale but still bad.  

I live with fear everyday, sometimes she lets me go fishing.   🤣

8 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Well Mark, saying that to her could result in any one of a whole range of unpleasant possibilities.  At one end of the spectrum she might serve Kale covered in fat free dressing with non alcoholic beer dinner 🤢  or at the other there's getting stabbed in my sleep - not as bad as the kale but still bad.  

I live with fear everyday, sometimes she lets me go fishing.   🤣

OK, now I understand your situation much better. Your doing good. Just keep doing what you are doing, and if you have to back away, back away slowly and don't lose eye contact. What ever you do, don't run. Never run. PS, she sounds like a very nice lady. Don't tell her where I live.

17 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

OK, now I understand your situation much better. Your doing good. Just keep doing what you are doing, and if you have to back away, back away slowly and don't lose eye contact. What ever you do, don't run. Never run. PS, she sounds like a very nice lady. Don't tell her where I live.

You sell knives she's probably a customer-😄