Fly Tying
flytire

HMH TVR tying vise.....

Hmmmm, for almost $700 U.S. plus border taxes I could buy enough tying material to last the rest of my life. I think I'll keep tying on my cheap vise

. It is a nice looking tool though, for vise junkies with fat wallets.Lol

Les[/quote

$700 ]to last you the rest of your life? I wish, I’m at least $2k in the hole and every pattern I seem to tie requires something I don’t have

Bazzer,

I tie to fish not for show. If I'm attempting a pattern that calls for something I don't own I feel free to substitute something else similar. Saves money and storage space and I still manage the odd fish. They don't seem to care if I basterdize a pattern with synthetic vs. natural materials or the opposite.

Les

We won't start a discussion on whether one can save money or not ... on this thread.

It's been hashed, rehashed, reheated with beans and etc. etc.

Some do, most don't.

My TRV arrived today and Im like it a lot. The LAW style jaws appear to be made of cast tool steel and hold the hook very firmly. So far Ive tried it with a size 18 Trout hook and a size 5/0 salmon iron. The larger sizes can be held by one of the two vertical grooves in one of the Jaws. .in both cases the hook was held very securely.

Rotation is obtained by the large palm wheel. The friction of which is adjustable so you can elect to spin the work or rotate it and hold it in any position.

Congrats on the new vise. Since HMH borrowed someone else's design I wonder why they didn't go with a 5 star thumb wheel in brass. I'll bet that would up the wow factor a tiny bit. I really like the simplicity of the design. It looks like it takes a wide array of hooks without futzing around. I got the original design renzetti presentation vise ~ 35 years ago. I think the closest thing to it is the model 3000 now. I sense that all in-line rotary vises carry some of the DNA of that vise and it is still my "go to" for trout flies. Now, if I see Davie McPhail tying on one of these I might get a case of "vise envy". Good luck and tight wraps.

novabass

Is the vise adaptable for left hand use? or are they going to offer a left hand model?

No, I do not believe so at this time.

I have been tying on my TRV for a few days, here is what I dont like.

The stem is too short

The base is too small and lacks a flat top to lay tools materials on.

The jaws are too short, they need to be long and pointy

The finish on the jaws is rough and needs to be polished out

The Star wheel holding the jaws to the rotating spindle is two small and difficult to turn

Whilst it does hold a hook pretty securely Im not likening the vise at all, as a matter of fact Im planning on returning my vise and asking for my cash back! Ill return to using my Renzetti Master.

Bazzer

Sounds like "Barry the Guide."

He's bazzer485 over on this UK forum with this same topic currently going on. Same person, multiple handles.

Sounds like "Barry the Guide."

Indeed I am one of the same. Im not very good at remembering user names and passwords plus Im now retired from guiding and the only way to creat a new user name is to start a new account.

I have given a honest but short review on the vise. If you dont believe me I suggest you go and buy one for yourself. Its all only my opinion and Ive tried to be objective.

My summary or the TRV is tat its well designed but HMH have rushed to build it and subsequently the usual high quality of their products has failed. Hopefully the next batch will be much improved.

Barry

Bazzer

Bazzer69

Barrytheguide

He's bazzer485 over on this UK forum with this same topic currently going on. Same person, multiple handles.

Barry, I agree with Mike. There is nothing wrong with a little edginess here. No lines were crossed, no people or products were defamed, and no personal attacks were levied. My two cents worth...

Barry, I agree with Mike. There is nothing wrong with a little edginess here. No lines were crossed, no people or products were defamed, and no personal attacks were levied. My two cents worth...

Thanks, I am one of the first people to buy one of these vises, I understand that one hundred were made as part of the first batch. Several people have asked about the vise and Ive tried to give honest answers. I would not recommend this vise unless the quality issues are fixed

Barry

I like Barrys honesty and the fact that the Mods/Admin here didnt edit it or delete it.

On a lot of websites a post like his wouldve been whacked.

When you start paying that kind of money for a vice that holds a hook you are paying for style,looks and tooling so it better be flawless.

Thx for the heads up