Fly Tying

So any opinions on the Maxcatch waterproof silicone fly box in size C?

I had to look them up online. They look workable, if the stated price of $26.00 is for the largest size. If that price is for the smallest, and they go UP from there, then I refer back to the ones from Walmart that look similar for less money.

I'm cheap, and will always buy the best I can, but at the lowest price I can find.

Me, myself and I, we hate waterproof double sided fly boxes. To bulky and heavy with to much wasted space. I prefer slim, ultra thin and super thin one sided clear boxes with no dividers.

I like these for small nymphs,

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/j-stockard-slim-fly-box-with-foam-insert?child=AC-910160-MEDI&utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=gbase_feed&_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI84GC6Myc4wIV7ffjBx2aMwISEAQYHiABEgISQvD_BwE&p=1

Flambeau makes a single sided box that's .76" which is perfect for bigger nymphs. Tons of 1" boxes for dries. I typically pack light with just a couple altoid tins with flies thrown in. When I do take a pack I can take close to few hundred flies, if I had a mind to, in 3 slim boxes that take up less room then a double sided water proof brick but I rarely carry that many flies. Just my humble opinion.

Nice practical boxes PD.

I'll be getting a couple of the large ones with my next order.

At 7" x 4" x 1/2" one would fit nice in my back pocket.

The Maxcatch double side silicone waterproof in size C which is 5.9x3.8x1.77 for $14.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Two-Sided-Waterproof-Fishing-Green/dp/B079CBS8W2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=maxcatch%2Bsilicone%2Bfly%2Bbox&qid=1562266805&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

This is the one I was looking at any thoughts?

I have some just like that, that I actually got from the Green Caddis, the sponsor of this site when they were on sale. I love them, they keep my flies dry, they hold a ton of flies, the flies don't get all tangled together, I can see whats in there without having to open the box and they float if I should drop one. I paid $14.00 each for mine, about 5" X 8"

I also agree with Drifter...ask a hundred fly fishers.....

One note about waterproof fly boxes... "waterproof" works both ways. If you drop a waterproof box in the water, the flies inside will stay dry. Conversely, if you put a wet fly back into the waterproof box, the moisture cannot get out, and all the flies in the box may rust.

The Barnsley plastic box has become my go-to lately. I can't say it's top quality, but it's easy to carry and use. Not for the big stuff though.

$9 on Amazon, has compartments for small dries on one side, foam on the other for small nymphs, small enough to carry as many as you want, with a strap to carry the one you use the most around your neck

The Maxcatch double side silicone waterproof in size C which is 5.9x3.8x1.77 for $14.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxcatch-Two-Sided-Waterproof-Fishing-Green/dp/B079CBS8W2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=maxcatch%2Bsilicone%2Bfly%2Bbox&qid=1562266805&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

This is the one I was looking at any thoughts?

Just quick reaction thoughts;

Too thick. 1' is about the thickest that I like.

Waterproof means you can't put flies back in it the same day. I want all my boxes ventilated.

I don't like double sided boxes.

Plastic is always heavy.

Price is good.

The other guys made some fair recommendations.

if you put wet flies back in a supposedly "waterproof" fly box (yes they can still leak water inside), make sure you leave it open to dry the flies on your way home from your fishing trip

if youre tossing your fly box around like a baseball, maybe the more expensive boxes with the silicone inserts (supposedly holds the hook better) are right for you. ive never seen the need to hold my flies

All good ideas and choices so far. I've been using the Umpqua UPG boxes for "wets". I like 'em, they hold a bunch of flies, securely, and you can see through the lids.

Here's the little Barnsley I mentioned

http://barnsleyflyco.com/images/barnsley_waterproof_fly_box.jpg

They also direct sell a more than decent quality Wheatley style box (metal, individual compartments, with air holes) for about $20 on their website. I bought a couple of those but I find I prefer using the other.

http://barnsleyflyco.com/images/barnsley_fly_box_16_compartment_silver.jpg

I carry 2 non-waterproof doubled sided boxes (one has a small chunk knocked out). One of the boxes has dries on one side and nymphs on the other. The other box has streamers on one side and terristerals on the other. I only use about a dozen different patterns for dries and for nymphs, and seldom carry more that 5 or 6 of each pattern. Streamers are about the same. Can fit each box into a shirt pocket if I want to go light. Back at the vehicle are additional flies if I am catching a lot of tree trout.

Never heard of Barnsley, thanks for the tip Chugbug. I like individual compartments, but without lids for each compartment it is too easy to have a fly blowout of the box, or fall out if the box isn't held level. I have been using the little Tenkara fly boxes, but they only hold a few choices. have to heck out Barnsley. I have looked at Wheatley, but I just can't spend that much. Of course, if I really had any idea what I wanted when I first started buying fly boxes I could easily have a double sided Wheatley by now, instead of a collection of other boxes! Actually, I just ordered the 16 compartment box.

I have an old Perrine #60 box. On the bottom is a green plastic button that attaches to a thin metal strip that goes around the edge of the box. Is it a latch? It seems really stiff and there is no issue opening the box from the edges. Just curious what the green button was designed for?

I have an old Perrine #60 box. On the bottom is a green plastic button that attaches to a thin metal strip that goes around the edge of the box. Is it a latch? It seems really stiff and there is no issue opening the box from the edges. Just curious what the green button was designed for?

That little green button is actually designed as a way to carry the fly box out side of your vest without having to put the fly box in a pocket. You run a piece of fairly heavy monofilament line through the hole in the button and tie a knot on the mono so that it can't pull through the hole. Tie the other end of the mono to a ring or loop or whatever on your vest and the fly box will swing free. This works just fine as long as the fly box closes solidly and is not prone to open on it's own. Most of those boxes are pretty old and well used and have been opened and closed hundreds of times. As a result, some of them will not close up as tight as they did when new. If it opens up while you are fishing, you could lose a few flies that might fall out, though most flies are held pretty securely in those old Perrine fly boxes.

Joe