Fly Tying
DarrellP

Classic Steelhead fly swap

Thanks Norm. I think I will try to cut down on the hairwing. Like you said, the red band is a judgment call. I like the looks of it and just don't think if the flies actually get fished a steelhead or any other trout would pass them up because I borrowed a treatment used by Carrie. I think the band goes good with the red hook and will have to keep it for my own pleasure.

Edit to add: You should look at a shutdown date for entries so we can figure on how many of each pattern to tie, or if we go to a full dozen it would just probably be one pattern for me. I can tie a half dozen nymphs or soft hackles easily in the time it take me to smooth the bodies, measure the hair and tie these streamers. One thing I'd mention to those who use squirrel hair. It is soft and slippery. I use a trick taught on the net and that is throwing a loop around the hair before drawing it down to the hook. Then after a few wraps I put a drop of cement on the base of the hair before drawing it all the way down. I used to get very angry when I'd tie in squirrel, pull the hair to straighten and smooth it and have half of it pull out. These tricks have cured that problem...MOSTLY...

I've been tying steelhead flies from the Orvis Index just for fun, and they are fun. So, I think I will jump in here too. When I get done with all the flies from the index, I will pick one for this swap and let you know. All I can tell you for now is, it will be from the Orvis Index.

On 3/22/2020 at 5:00 PM, vicrider said:

Thanks Norm. I think I will try to cut down on the hairwing. Like you said, the red band is a judgment call. I like the looks of it and just don't think if the flies actually get fished a steelhead or any other trout would pass them up because I borrowed a treatment used by Carrie. I think the band goes good with the red hook and will have to keep it for my own pleasure.

Edit to add: You should look at a shutdown date for entries so we can figure on how many of each pattern to tie, or if we go to a full dozen it would just probably be one pattern for me. I can tie a half dozen nymphs or soft hackles easily in the time it take me to smooth the bodies, measure the hair and tie these streamers. One thing I'd mention to those who use squirrel hair. It is soft and slippery. I use a trick taught on the net and that is throwing a loop around the hair before drawing it down to the hook. Then after a few wraps I put a drop of cement on the base of the hair before drawing it all the way down. I used to get very angry when I'd tie in squirrel, pull the hair to straighten and smooth it and have half of it pull out. These tricks have cured that problem...MOSTLY...

Dr. SnailMailer, I am in for a 2d offering of a Coal Car Variant on #8, since I do not wish to order online and need not the dozen+ hooks.  vicrider, I recommend we tie standard twelve, distribute extras per SM choices, SM done real good in foam critter swap👍👍

I will join with a TBD.   I will post a pattern soon.

Due date is May 1, right?   Not sure if I will be able to go to a post office before late April.    Wow, this is the first time I've ever been worried about when I will be able to mail something for a swap.

13 hours ago, flytire said:

donation flies in the mail

should be there by saturday

post offices are open

Thank you so much!  I am anxious to see them.  Appreciate your supporting our swap.