Fly Tying
flytire

July Flies From the Vise

18 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Been thinking about those PMD cripples all morning. Went home for lunch and twisted a couple. Size 18

PHOTO_20200731_121941.jpg

PHOTO_20200731_123051.jpg

How! I could barely tie a sunken trico on a size 18. Those look really good!

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

How! I could barely tie a sunken trico on a size 18. Those look really good!

Thank you, appreciate that. I wear reading glasses so I can actually see what I'm doing 😁.  Here's some advice, take it for what it's worth. Three things that help me. Keep as little thread as you can between the bobbin and the fly. You'll get more accurate wraps. Don't rush, quality not quantity.  You know you'll get faster as you tie more. Practice. By practice I don't mean tie flies particularly, but practice technique. For instance you've been tying those split calf hair wings.  Tie just wings. Tie a set, razor 'em off, tie another set, over and over and over again.  When you're feeling comfortable, then go for the whole fly, or another technique.  Not to be too nit-picky, but your wings are a little cocked to one side. That can be fixed, by working on just the wings. By working only on the wings you'll be better able to see just what the wings are doing, because you won't be distracted by the rest of the fly.  Again, I'm not wanting to be brutally critical or an a$$ but want to see your tying get even better.  Any great performer, athlete, etc., they work on the basics all the time, before going on to the advanced stuff. I try to practice a particular technique every day for 15-30 minutes before I even start my first complete fly. It's helped me, maybe it'll help you too.  Keep at it!  

Last one for this month.  A Bulkhead hollow tie.  They slim down quit a lot when wet.

Bulkhead.JPG

39 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Thank you, appreciate that. I wear reading glasses so I can actually see what I'm doing 😁.  Here's some advice, take it for what it's worth. Three things that help me. Keep as little thread as you can between the bobbin and the fly. You'll get more accurate wraps. Don't rush, quality not quantity.  You know you'll get faster as you tie more. Practice. By practice I don't mean tie flies particularly, but practice technique. For instance you've been tying those split calf hair wings.  Tie just wings. Tie a set, razor 'em off, tie another set, over and over and over again.  When you're feeling comfortable, then go for the whole fly, or another technique.  Not to be too nit-picky, but your wings are a little cocked to one side. That can be fixed, by working on just the wings. By working only on the wings you'll be better able to see just what the wings are doing, because you won't be distracted by the rest of the fly.  Again, I'm not wanting to be brutally critical or an a$$ but want to see your tying get even better.  Any great performer, athlete, etc., they work on the basics all the time, before going on to the advanced stuff. I try to practice a particular technique every day for 15-30 minutes before I even start my first complete fly. It's helped me, maybe it'll help you too.  Keep at it!  

Thank you sir. I just used this on a hex to get the hackle just right (in my mind) will post the pic next 

24 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you sir. I just used this on a hex to get the hackle just right (in my mind) will post the pic next 

My pleasure. Nice job on that hex. That's another technique, wrapping hackle.  Collar style, parachute style, palmered. You get the idea.

Update on the Hex: Threw it in a kiddy pool and moved water by pushing on the edge and the two I tied float consistantly for 1 minute and 47 seconds without any type of floatant straight from the vise. I then gave them a thorough drying and applied floatant, then did the same thing. They stayed up for  2 minutes and 30 seconds, almost another minute! My only issue is what happens to the body once it gets wet, it turns green because the body material is quite thin so you can see the black thread through the body, will fix this in the future by adding yellow floss over the body before wrapping it.

Switch to white thread then use what ever color sharpie you want to color the thread just off the bobbin before you whip finish. Or use white thread then switch to black after the body like a classic salmon fly it will keep your floss bright.

My take on the Flash Monkey. Just adding this to the list of patterns I am learning. I think I will go try it out next week. 
Thanks

DSC_0065.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Pbass said:

My take on the Flash Monkey. Just adding this to the list of patterns I am learning. I think I will go try it out next week. 
Thanks

DSC_0065.jpeg

I think that one will fish well, might be a good pattern to tie on a jig hook

11 minutes ago, vicente said:

I think that one will fish well, might be a good pattern to tie on a jig hook

I have never tied on a jig hook. I will have to give that a try! Thanks 

21 minutes ago, Pbass said:

I have never tied on a jig hook. I will have to give that a try! Thanks 

I really like the umpqua u555 jig hooks for bass flys or really most flys I tie on a jig hook, good wire thickness and superb quality at a fairly low price.

7 minutes ago, vicente said:

I really like the umpqua u555 jig hooks for bass flys or really most flys I tie on a jig hook, good wire thickness and superb quality at a fairly low price.

I just googled them. They look interesting for several things I am attempting to tie. Thanks again!