Fly Tying

42 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Thank you. I should probably check out the shop I normally go to (2 hours away) I know the guy who runs it so I might be able to shoot him text

If you are seriously considering the vise, you might ask him if he might be able to offer you $15 or $20 in credit in fly tying materials if you buy the vise from him on a specified day if you drive 2 hours each way to go see him--and that you would like to buy it from his store.  If you are not sure you can follow through I wouldn't do it though, as it would probably damage your apparently good relationship with him. People can understandably get upset about stuff like that.  Or if your time is hard to come by, he could probably ship it to you... I think it would probably be more fun to go to the fly shoppe (but 4 hours is a lot of driving too...)   : )

Good luck!

I know this topic comes up every so often, but buying from a local store <in person> JUST to buy from a local store is counterproductive.  If you're paying more for the item, then that retailer will maintain higher prices and fewer walk-in customers will buy.  If the retailer believes he'll be able to stay open on walk-in business only, then he/she is sadly mistaken.  Those companies, even small Mom-n-Pop places, that don't embrace the online sales world are destined to fail.  Since people can check prices on their phones, right there in the store, any place that overprices their products ... destined to fail.

Definitely check your local places, but if they have an online presence, go their, purchase your items for "in-store" pick up.  This lets them know they are getting online attention, and you get the warm fuzzies knowing you're supporting local businesses.

I'll check it out next time I run for new matierals. They have some sort of website thing but it only has the musky stuff on it. 

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

I know this topic comes up every so often, but ...

I hear ya Mike.  But, you forgot to say "In my opinion,...".  Notice that you have basically "lumped together" all of the "Mom 'n Pop places" into one category.

Your wrote: "Buying from a local store <in person> JUST to buy from a local store is counterproductive." 

--- Counterproductive for who (you?)?  It is perhaps at least as true that we "vote with our dollars".  

Pushing your example to the limit, we will all be buying all of our fly fishing paraphernalia from a catalog version of Walmart in a few years.  Is that the "least" counterproductive?   The idea reminds of the old Sears & Roebuck catalog (which admittedly was a big winner in its day)!  : )

In short, (I think you should) admit that you are only speculating as an outside observer. It's hard to argue that you know better than individual business owners what makes their business' tick. But, all of the above is only my opinion.  

Cheers, Bill

An after thought.  I have noticed that I am willing to pay about 60% more for many moderately priced items in either of my 2 area fly shoppes. At 100% more or even higher, I might be more willing to postpone my purchase. As I suggested in another post I made recently, there are some things it is nice to to see in person, e.g. shoes, waders, or rooster capes.

7 hours ago, mikechell said:

I know this topic comes up every so often, but buying from a local store <in person> JUST to buy from a local store is counterproductive.  If you're paying more for the item, then that retailer will maintain higher prices and fewer walk-in customers will buy.  If the retailer believes he'll be able to stay open on walk-in business only, then he/she is sadly mistaken.  Those companies, even small Mom-n-Pop places, that don't embrace the online sales world are destined to fail.  Since people can check prices on their phones, right there in the store, any place that overprices their products ... destined to fail.

Definitely check your local places, but if they have an online presence, go their, purchase your items for "in-store" pick up.  This lets them know they are getting online attention, and you get the warm fuzzies knowing you're supporting local businesses.

Not to just "Dog pile" on you, but I might add, for a guy that doesn't spend over a nickle a year in a fly shop you have a lot to say. Here are some things you may not have considered:

• In a fly shop you are able to see and feel what you are buying, that's important with many fly tying materials. You should expect to pay something for that.
  • Convenience and timing. In a fly shop, you can bring it home the same day you buy it. You won't have to wait and you won't have to pay extra for shipping. When one compares prices, be sure to add the price of shipping to the on-line retailers price.
  • You can often get fishing and fly tying advise at a fly shop that you can't get online. That's worth something.
  • A brick and mortar store can never compete with an on-line retailer because he has expenses that an on-line only dealer doesn't have. He'd go broke if he tried.

You are right, to stay in business today it's necessary for many Mom and Pops to have an on line presence but to treat my store as if it was strictly on-line and price accordingly would be suicide. I have to trust that my customers will recognize what benefits a Mom-and-Pop, brick and mortar provide and be willing to help support it. Many of mine do.

Many of us like other people and enjoy human to human interaction, it's a pretty special thing to be able to sit and chat to others about the things we like to do. We'd even risk contracting a virus to do it.

48 minutes ago, petelangevin said:

Up over 85$ now.    I would not be surprised if it goes over retail.

I don't think so, used items on on-line auctions seldom go over retail unless there is something special about the particular item. Especially since there is generally a warranty on the new one, not so on the used one.

53 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Not to just "Dog pile" on you, but I might add, for a guy that doesn't spend over a nickle a year in a fly shop you have a lot to say. Here are some things you may not have considered:

• In a fly shop you are able to see and feel what you are buying, that's important with many fly tying materials. You should expect to pay something for that.
  • Convenience and timing. In a fly shop, you can bring it home the same day you buy it. You won't have to wait and you won't have to pay extra for shipping. When one compares prices, be sure to add the price of shipping to the on-line retailers price.
  • You can often get fishing and fly tying advise at a fly shop that you can't get online. That's worth something.
  • A brick and mortar store can never compete with an on-line retailer because he has expenses that an on-line only dealer doesn't have. He'd go broke if he tried.

You are right, to stay in business today it's necessary for many Mom and Pops to have an on line presence but treat my store as if it was strictly on-line and price accordingly would be suicide. I have to trust that my customers will recognize what benefits a Mom-and-Pop, brick and mortar provide and be willing to help support it. Many of mine do.

Many of us like other people and enjoy human to human interaction, it's a pretty special thing to be able to sit and chat to others about the things we like to do. We'd even risk contracting a virus to do it.

Not to pile on either, let me add. I know the guys in my local shop(s). They're a good bunch. We trade info, fly recipes, techniques, etc.. They are trying to support themselves and their families doing something they love. I'd rather my money go to them than some faceless internet site. I don't mind paying a little more for the "extras". Granted I do make internet purchases, but that's my second choice.  And Mark I agree, "it's a pretty special thing to be able to sit and chat to others about the things we like to do. We'd even risk contracting a virus to do it."

I will probably go to the shop and check stuff out there. I think he has a renzetti in the display case so I might be in luck. 

3 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I don't think so, used items on on-line auctions seldom go over retail unless there is something special about the particular item. Especially since there is generally a warranty on the new one, not so on the used one.

Mark it funny sometimes people surprise you with bidding.  I have bought things for fractions of retail prices and seen items go over retail.   Especially with fly tying items.  

Bought a fly reel for one cent but paid $16 to get it from Hong Kong. BTW, it's a good reel and still offered. Here is it and the writing is- BF 600 Fly Reel. On a 6 ft. 2 wt.

BTW, group, I got tickled at the earlier ad. There is a big difference between "vice" and "vise."

IMG_5437.JPG

'BTW, group, I got tickled at the earlier ad. There is a big difference between "vice" and "vise."'

In Europe and a lot of the world, it's spelled "vice."  In US, it's vise.  Why, I don't know.