Fly Tying
atxdiscgolfer

Fly Tyer Magazine Swap

I look forward to seeing them Woodenlegs and Fishingbobnelson; sorry I havent updated everyone. I got slammed with work this week, selling containers to put hand sanitizer in has kept me very busy this year to say the least. 

Mikemac1 your patterns arrived, nice submission sir and thanks for the extras; I cant wait to throw those Q’s Beach Bugs at some Sea Trout and Reds down here at the Gulf after this Hurricane subsides. 

I'm valiantly trying to tie the moose mane mosquito from Winter 2019, page 22. I may give up after spending two nights breaking moose mane when just about finished, then cutting thread and starting over. I might try soaking some moose mane to see if that helps with the breaking. Otherwise it's a pretty straight forward tie and looks nice and should fish well. It is on a Klinkhammer 16.

DSCF5914.JPG

Funny how things work. After taking two attempts to tie the Moose Mane Mosquito and having one for a picture to show for it I went back the bench with a fresh attitude, sorted through the mane hairs for better looking ones, tied them in place and as I got to bottom of tie loosened the tension on the string slightly and turned Mane to start in the direction I was wrapping. and wrapped back. Then I held finger on hair as I started it first few turns and really worked hard to keep even pressure on both white and dark hair, and presto, 13 or 14 tied without breaking a single hair. I don't think the hair was loose but it is coated with a fine coating of UV so should hold up pretty well. Rest of tie is herl and synthetic instead of calf hair for post and wrapped with feather from the third grizzly cape I got before I got this good one. So you get something close to what's in the picture after all.

Remember this is designed to penetrate surface tension so if you treat only treat hackle and not the body of the fly. My understand is that the Moose Mane does not have the hollow fur of the deer and should sink to just below the surface while parachute holds that easy to eat snack ready. Oh yeah, that's what I read.