Fly Tying
bdngrd

Sulfer box complete, Adams, nearly done...

Very, very, nice flies.

I've gone to only tying parachutes and comparadun/sparkledun patterns and given up on the standard palmered hackled dry flies. Do you find that the standard palmer hackled dries ever outfish the parachute or comparadun/sparkledun patterns?

@SilverCreek I'm with you on effectiveness. I'm also a big fan of cripple patterns, emergers and no hackle dries. 

@bdngrd That looks like a tacky dry box. Do you like it?  And nice ties

Thanks you guys, I have been adding a few flies to the rows every day. I do find paras, comparaduns, and emerges to catch more fish, but I just feel like I should always have some classic Adams in 14, 16, and 18 on hand for tradition's sake! I probably use a 14 para more than any other mayfly pattern. I like tying those the most too. 

I like the Tacky boxes and have found them on sale. The dry fly box- pictured- is sometimes a bit finicky as far as putting flies into their slots. They accommodate my OCD pretty well. 

On 11/18/2020 at 9:31 PM, bdngrd said:

Caddis on deck for December

fullsizeoutput_508.jpeg

IMO consistency is the mark of an accomplished tyer,  where just like the naturals each fly looks like the one next to it.  This is impressive and well done.

Thanks DFoster!

Silvercreek, I whip finish at the base of the post on bigger sizes, often on the smaller ones, I tie off on the eye. Either way I make sure to use head cement, as too often the hackle breaks after a fish or two. I have tried UV resin to glue it, but have not liked it- I might experiment more with different resins. It seems like it would be more durable and easier on small flies, I just do not have the hang of it yet.