The Ark Swap - FLIES MAILED

On 5/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, psychoprince said:

Mini Zonker

size 12 hook

white micro zonker strips

dubbing blend: ice dub  UV pearl and senyo  white lazer dubb

bead head

E689E245-901C-4CBF-9B81-B548A29CEBE4.jpeg

Looking forward to those. I'm thinking crappie are going to love them. I do have a totally off subject question though. Why do you put your flies the way you do? Maybe I've done it wrong for years but I was taught to slide the bend of the hook into the slot. This should minimize damage to the foam when removing since point is not in foam. Also, dry flies and soft hackles and those with hackle in front have the hole cut out so hackle is not crushed. When I do Christmas swap I get boxes with flies in the way you have them and the flies in the way I do it and it just seems to me like backing the hook in is the better system. 

Also, did you do your dubbing in a noodle or in a dubbing loop. I have a tough time with ice dub and getting a decent noodle.  Nick

My contribution hit the US postal stream today.  Estimated Time of Emergence (ETE): Monday, 6/7.  This year, for me, this has been a good pattern during the cooler, rainy, and/or overcast weather.   

Will PM tracking #, jic.  

Just got mine to the PO still haven’t named it, just a little something a threw together with peacock hurl and some nice looking poly braid string

1527F47B-C9F1-418B-9C70-F2F969CA7C57.jpeg

Just got some nice ties in the mail from Niveker.   Another swap that is measuring up very nice!

Kim

Hey Vicrider, So in response to your question I have no idea 🤷‍♂️. I typically back the bend of the hook in as well. I recently bought that fly box (8$) so I thought it was a steal. That being said all of my other boxes just have the slit in them not the small triangular part, I’m guessing they are so there’s more room for the hook point?  Guess it was oversight as I was rushing to the post office before work. I took some of these flies down to a nearby pond and racked up more bluegill than I could count so I hope crappie like them just as much!

I considered using a dubbing loop but with some persistence and 10 chubby sausage fingers I was able to get what I hope is  a tight enough dub on there. Happy Fishing!!

Got some nice flies from John1986 in the mail today.  Just got back from a nice drive to Livingston Manor, NY to visit the Catskill Fly Fishing Museum and other points or interest in the Roscoe/Livingston Manor area.  Nice weather and a fine day trip!  One more thing checked off my "things to do on 1 tank of gas" bucket list!

Kim

Killer bugs have bugged out of here. Should be there before the end of the week.

Got two mailings from jburge today.  Nice, clean killers!  Swap's looking better and better!

Kim

Wood duck and deer body hair.

This is a variation of the Darbee two feather fly. I used deer hair instead of hackle. The wood duck flank forms an extended body. Simple and quick tie, but a great dry fly for picky trout.

Daiichi 1167 size 14

They will be in the mail today.

3CDEEFDE-5A2F-4B1F-842C-CBFC481446F5.jpeg

875BB7BF-3C79-416B-B208-62327808EBAD.jpeg

06F51FEB-9422-47C1-9A7D-0D673EC7C3E9.jpeg

949C0CEB-7E96-4176-9291-A63FFB621C5A.jpeg