Fly Tying
DFoster

Dollar Tree deal of the day.

I found water proof touch up markers for furniture at the local Dollar Tree.  Sold in 3 packs and at least at this store they were available in brown, almost brown, sort of brown, brownish, light brown and  black.  Usable colors to a fly tyer.  I know some choices in green would have been nice but hey they're a buck.... for 3.   So  I thought I would pass this along.   ACT NOW!  The local manager stated that Dollar Tree was soon to be renamed "Dollar and a Quarter Tree" the result of skyrocketing fuel cost.

IMG_1661.thumb.JPG.df550653aada4e506b58e2158901c8a3.JPG

Rigorous scientific testing indicated they do mark paper with different colors.

IMG_1666.thumb.JPG.01789ea86fb161a9d7d4faead8fee6b2.JPG

I’ve used them on feathers with varying degrees of success.  They worked better for me on softer, webbier stuff like hen, partridge, grouse, not so well on rooster cape/saddle feathers; since I dye everything now, I don’t need them for that application. They do a decent job on foam.

Regards,
Scott

Good to know.  For almost all of my flies, I use white thread, and use markers when I need to at the head.  After 25 or 30 years, some of my markers need replacing.  

16 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

How do you use them for fly tying?

To color hackle maybe??? Parachute posts? Color bodies? Foam?

My main use for them is to color shell bodies on nymphs as shown in the photos below.  Like utyer stated  I also will sometimes color a light colored tying thread dark when I'm about to finish the head.  This allows for a light colored body with a dark head without needing to change thread spools.  I haven't used marker pens on feathers but have used them on foam and to darken the backs of San Juan worms and they work well on both.

14 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Skeet up to this point I've been using sharpies on my flies and have had no issue with them fading.   

Capture.PNG.caae1d34e8357d9a39f18dc829b67871.PNGCapture3.PNG.61e6a475faa33c8792ee341eeccd1ef9.PNGCapture4.thumb.PNG.446c57826baa0654008b47c00fa5782c.PNG

1 hour ago, skeet3t said:

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.  There are far more color options for water proof markers at a craft store but they are also a lot more $$.  Still if you need a really specific color that's the place to go.

We have a Hobby Lobby about three miles away. One our favorite places, even just to browse for a while.

I sometimes use markers to color one side of a nymph, leaving the other side lighter, since the belly on nymphs is usually lighter than the top.  Obviously, this works best when the dubbing is lighter colored to begin with.

On 12/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, DFoster said:

...available in brown, almost brown, sort of brown, brownish, light brown and  black...  

😆 love it!

There was a post somewhere I read recently about the world's best dry fly, the Adams. I and others cheat and use Cree for the hackle instead of alternate grizzly and brown. This person came up with a different answer to simplify the Adams and the pictures he had looked great. He takes the proper size grizzly hackle and puts alternating bands of brown with a Magic Marker. Simple and looked good and if you don't tell fish what you did I'll bet it'll work fine on the stream. Can anyone have too many Adams?