Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Poor Mikey

19 minutes ago, essequamvideri said:

Well, we had a different weather pattern here in Maine yesterday.  Snow started about 7am and ended about 4am this morning. Only needed to shove twice,.  Turned out to be reasonably lite snow, but there was 20” of it.

Michael

Last time I was in Maine, I was there to Sea Duck hunt. We flew into Bangor and it had just started to snow. We drove to Searsport ,where the guide had his lodge. It snowed over an inch in the 30+/- miles from Bangor to Searsport. It snowed 27 inches overnight. We hunted in almost whiteout conditions the first day. Ducks would just appear out of the white. Great shoot. We had to wear ski goggles going out and coming in it was snowing so hard. Our eyelashes were literally freezing together The next day was clear and FREAKING cold, -25 with the wind chill. Another great hunt and a cold weekend to remember. I shot a federally banded Drake Eider that still hangs on my wall. We also almost lost several ducks to seals. A whole different kind of hunting for me.

Now they are saying we will be getting up to a foot of snow Tues/Wed here in Michigan. Just great, last time I had the blower out it wouldn't start. Gonna have to spend some time away from rods tomorrow and get that thing running for sure.

We don't do well when it hits below freezing down here. When we get passed socks and sandals weather, it's a state of emergency 

58 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

Last time I was in Maine, I was there to Sea Duck hunt. We flew into Bangor and it had just started to snow. We drove to Searsport ,where the guide had his lodge. It snowed over an inch in the 30+/- miles from Bangor to Searsport. It snowed 27 inches overnight. We hunted in almost whiteout conditions the first day. Ducks would just appear out of the white. Great shoot. We had to wear ski goggles going out and coming in it was snowing so hard. Our eyelashes were literally freezing together The next day was clear and FREAKING cold, -25 with the wind chill. Another great hunt and a cold weekend to remember. I shot a federally banded Drake Eider that still hangs on my wall. We also almost lost several ducks to seals. A whole different kind of hunting for me.

Well worth the price of admission I’d say.

Michael

41 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Now they are saying we will be getting up to a foot of snow Tues/Wed here in Michigan. Just great, last time I had the blower out it wouldn't start. Gonna have to spend some time away from rods tomorrow and get that thing running for sure.

Just watched the weather forecast, looks like we are getting the same storm Thursday and Friday.  I have the shovel all warmed up.

Michael 

Too cold and windy for me, but it was decent enough in the workshop with all the doors closed.   Everything, at this stage, is experimental.  Steve mentioned a jig for clamping cork handles for gluing.  I had some all thread and wood, but I didn't have wing nuts.  So, I made some clamp knobs.  I'm a little off on the spacing of the grooves, so they aren't perfect.

Steve, will your OCD prevent you from using this jig?  If not, let me know and this rig will be on it's way to you this week.

20220130_154742.jpg

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Too cold and windy for me, but it was decent enough in the workshop with all the doors closed.   Everything, at this stage, is experimental.  Steve mentioned a jig for clamping cork handles for gluing.  I had some all thread and wood, but I didn't have wing nuts.  So, I made some clamp knobs.  I'm a little off on the spacing of the grooves, so they aren't perfect.

Steve, will your OCD prevent you from using this jig?  If not, let me know and this rig will be on it's way to you this week.

20220130_154742.jpg

Hell yeah man, those wood knobs look cool on there. I'd use that for sure 👍

3 hours ago, richmce said:

steve, can you put a plow on your rc truck? or just run it back and forth as the tires will kick the snow aside .   

lol I know you are prob joking, but believe it or not I have actually seen guys do that before 😁

39 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

lol I know you are prob joking, but believe it or not I have actually seen guys do that before 😁

We saw the video you posted.

It was 35 below zero this weekend and I went ice fishing. Stayed in my motor-home. After two days at 35 below, it started. Now that's a truck. Caught 57 fish, a 23 and a 24 inch rainbow were the biggest.

19 hours ago, mikechell said:

20220130_154742.jpg

I could make those on my CNC mill, but I like yours better. Adds a bit of personality to them. Wouldn't change a thing.

We've had morning frost on the windshields for 4 days in a row, now.   I am DONE with winter !!!

I'll get it in the mail soon, Steve.

Thank you Steve and Mark, for the compliments.