Fly Tying
flytire

GPS Navigation

Hate to say it but I can’t get anywhere without it. I use Waze because of the excellent system for marking hazards like potholes, speed cameras and police. It’s on all the time in my car through Appleplay even if just driving local. I use it Locally for the hazard warnings and for directions when I know where I’m going. Our state police filed suit to close Waze down because of how effective it was at marking their locations. The suit failed. That’s why I use Waze. 

I can't get anywhere new without it. In 2015 my phone stopped working while I was traveling and I had to buy a map. Had to go to two or three different gas stations before I could even find one. Took me 20 minutes just to find where I was. Hadn't used one for many years. Used to keep a Thomas Guide in my car.... 

49 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I use Waze

Waze was how I got chugbug27. The first school day after moving to Topanga, CA, I got stuck in terrible, freak traffic taking the kids to school, and we were something like an hour late. I found Waze that night and signed up. (It saved the day many times after that...) Anyways, getting a username for chugging around town, "chugbug" was already taken, and it was route 27 I'd be chugging along on through Topanga, so there you go, chugbug27 wouldn't even be here if it weren't for gps.

So yeah, nothing to do with beer and nothing to do with fly tying...

my intention is not to break or avoid laws but just for navigation purposes

does appleplay/carplay have to be installed on the car? my car is not equipped to use that

I have known too many people who got lost using GPS. Had it on one van and never used it. FWIW, several years ago, I downloaded Google Earth Pro. I look up the address, etc., write down the directions and go. I have also printed off the screen with the streets, landmarks, etc. I have used this approach for years and it never fails. Went to a hospital in Alabama, friend had GPS and deviated to take a more direct route to I-20. Got tired of: "Turn around and go back." Originally GPS took him by way of Pat's barn which was several miles out of the way. Son got lost with Google maps, too. Asked for directions and got to his destination. JMHO.

I do, problem is, it has kept me lost as much as it has kept me found. It has lead me to bridges that were never finished and roads that lead to nowhere.

50 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I use maps on trips. I know call me old fashioned, I gave up cell phones 20 yrs ago so I guess I am. Just how I have always been.

When I had my sales business, I must have had over 50 city and state maps. Kept a few since we follow our grandson's baseball career.

In the olden days when gas stations gave free maps, this sign was in front of a gas station: Maps folded free.😁

8 hours ago, flytire said:

my intention is not to break or avoid laws but just for navigation purposes

does appleplay/carplay have to be installed on the car? my car is not equipped to use that

My intention is also not to break the law or avoid laws. I’m just avoiding potential tickets and potholes. We get wheel, tire, axle, control arm and tie rod  destroying potholes this time of year. 

my bad on the name, I think it is correctly called Apple CarPlay and it is an option that comes with the car. If you don’t have CarPlay it just means your phone apps won’t play through your cars infotainment screen. You can still use Waze over your phone. It just won’t be as large. It happens to be a great navigation system wether or not you want to know where the police are.  My Waze has never gotten me lost and it uses the speed of other wazers to determine the fastest route. I guess other apps due that as well but I’m not sure. 

I downloaded waze to my iPhone but haven't used it yet

My Hyundai Tucson is not able to use apple car play

I think I'm driving to Florida next month so I'll give it a try then

Garmin free updates for life (GM wants $$$) to update my truck and it always sends me on roads I am not allowed to travel (over gvw and or commercial/combination plates) garmin model for rv use avoids prohibited routes.

On 2/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, flytire said:

I downloaded waze to my iPhone but haven't used it yet

My Hyundai Tucson is not able to use apple car play

I think I'm driving to Florida next month so I'll give it a try then

Waze is what I use even if I know where I'm going.  The alerts can really save you from getting stuck in traffic.  Everything from hidden police to animals on the road to accidents.   I know you know that here in the northeast the potholes are a big problem at this time of year.  Last week I passed no less than 5 cars in the breakdown lane with flat tires from hitting the same pot hole in the left lane.  Waze warned me it was there a half a mile out.