Fly Tying
Gene L

Lock down

The other night  I was at the bench when my left hand locked down...thumb and forefinger just wouldn't move.  It was like a cramp. Stiff, and a little pain (but not much.)  A few days later, my right hand did the same, but not as tight as the left.  It went away pretty quickly after I left the bench.    Could be arthritis or could be an allergy (???.  That seems unlikely but I'm throwing out speculations to see if any stick.

I've never heard of an allergy or arthritis causing a sudden seizure of the joints.  Nerve damage (like carpal tunnel) or tendon damage, (like tennis elbow) seem more likely the issue.  Both of those issues are caused by repetitive motions.  Tying is a pretty repetitive motion, so ...

It maybe a simple remedy as Mad Duck suggested.  As we get older the intake of potassium in our diet becomes more important.

Potassium might be the answer.  About two months ago I got these nocturnal leg cramps.    So my potassium level might be low.

👍 Had them too. Started eating more food with potassium and it alleviated the problem plus stay hydrated.

Bananas are a food source of potassium. A search will show other things with potassium. Only side effect with eating bananas is getting you off the chandeliers.

Another simple suggestion...I take a multi-vitamin every day. The key to what I take is label reading and looking for a good, diverse and strong dose of minerals. Will it help with your issue? Can't say , but it sure wouldn't hurt. Try something like Osteo Bi-flex too. You never know.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you're holding the shot glass too firmly!🥴

Trigger finger would affect your forefinger but never heard it affecting the thumb.  A doctor would be a nice idea.  Potassium is a POSSIBILITY, BUT remember, that's also what they use as apart of the chemical cocktail for death row!  I had kidney failure and one lesson was when you lose the ability to pee you have to watch your "P" intake - Potassium and Phosphorus!

Kim

It could be arthritis.  My hands are definitely arthritic.  Recently, I was diagnosed with, what the doctor I've been seeing for therapy for possible carpal tunnel syndrome, called "trigger finger" on my right hand.  Fortunately, it's not my real trigger finger.  The finger bends and locks..and I have to push it back into position.  It's a bit painful but bearable and annoying.  There is what appears to be a callous on the palm of my hand below the finger caused by the muscle contraction.  He did give me an exercise to do that stretches the muscles which has helped.  The other options, which I'm not even considering at this point, are an injection or surgery.    Try the potassium and see if that works, and check if and see if you have what looks like a callus on the palms of your hands.  If the potassium doesn't work, get it checked out.   

They sell anti-cramp topical medication on EBAY.  I have used Caleb Treeze Organic Farm cramp medication.  It smells like a mixture of vinegar and garlic. but it has worked for me when I got cramps in my hands after a day of flycasting.  You can also try some natural apple cider vinegar by rubbing some on your cramp and see if that works.  

14 hours ago, Moshup said:

👍 Had them too. Started eating more food with potassium and it alleviated the problem plus stay hydrated.

Gene, I'm a musician and on occasion I've had a my fore finger lock closed from what I took to be over exertion.  I was told by an RN who was a show when it happened that it was a sign of dehydration.  I prefer beer and bourbon at gigs so she may have had a point.  🙄  It takes a few minutes of relaxing my hands to get it to unlock.  I can't say it's ever happened tying flies though.

The first time this happened I was at the vice, but not overworking my hand.  Second time I was watching TV, no stress at all on my hands.  And the right hand, which saw little action.  So I'm not thinking of overwork, I'm thinking of something chemical going on rather than labor related.  Hasn't happened again.  I drink water and sparkling water all day, and it could be from the flavoring of the sparkling water.  

8 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Maybe you're holding the shot glass too firmly!🥴

Trigger finger would affect your forefinger but never heard it affecting the thumb.  A doctor would be a nice idea.  Potassium is a POSSIBILITY, BUT remember, that's also what they use as apart of the chemical cocktail for death row!  I had kidney failure and one lesson was when you lose the ability to pee you have to watch your "P" intake - Potassium and Phosphorus!

Kim

"Trigger Finger" can occur in any finger or thumb. I have or have had trigger issues in every finger as well as my thumbs. It sucks. One finger was so bad,I had surgery on it.

8 hours ago, WWKimba said:

Trigger finger would affect your forefinger but never heard it affecting the thumb.  

What he described doesn't sound like trigger finger at all.

I've had my hand cramp up after fishing for too long.  It sounds a lot like that.  I now prevent it by switching casting hands from time to time, but I don't know what I'd do if it were caused by tying.