Fly Tying
Stuart Fluke

What is your favorite fly fishing Rod?

12 hours ago, redband02 said:

Sweetgrass bamboo pent

Just find the most expensive rod you can and then say that's your favorite?  Just joking.  I'm sure there's more expensive rods out there.  😉

I couldn't even afford to look in the general direction of one of those.  I've got an old bamboo rod that my Dad left behind, but I've never fished it.

Got alotta choices.  Truck box has different setups for local stuff at an instant.  Many 2 piece.  Another box I work out of in ArkieLand wading 4 different streams from truck.   Most favorite daily prolly lil EagleClaw Granger I got years ago for $18 at a bankrupt sale.  Shoulda bought them all.  Effortless with a lil bass bug cruising the banks all afternoon with old shoulder issues.  Will hate when I brake it.  I believe they can be had even today for $100ish.  I don’t take it on trips. Blind fold you and you might think your casting a Sage/Helios but that’s an exaggeration.Favorite reel is lil gold Plueger gifted years ago by daughter.

03D713D8-6DEE-4FEA-B7D8-E16AE6A5DD37.jpeg

6B680303-BE55-454C-90CC-A2702F69FA44.jpeg

On 1/8/2023 at 6:47 AM, redband02 said:

Sweetgrass bamboo pent

I've got an 8' 4/5wt Mantra penta. Love it. Glenn and crew know what they are doing!

I have 2 rods.  The better one by far is a St. Croix Imperial Graphite XL 4302-5/6-8'. I've had it long enough that it should be my favorite by now but soon after I got it we moved and I haven't fished much since.  But I'm working on that.

My favorite rod that I've had forever and I have many fond memories using it is a Berkley Cherrywood (fiberglass) C40-8' 7wt.  It was the best I could afford when I was about 17 years old. It has served me very well.

My favorite rod is an 8' St. Croix Legend (not the Legend Ultra).  I got it from Cabela's as a close-out when the Ultra replaced the Legend.  It's about the speed I like  and I've caught a lot of fish with it. About 20 years ago.  It either dark brown or black with maroon wraps.

My favorite rod?  Probably the one in my hand when we're fly fishing since we use a wide range of rod sizes in the backcountry of the Everglades... I keep on hand rods from a 5wt all the way up to a 12 wt - but in the backcountry each day I'm usually handing my anglers rods from an 8wt up to that heavy 12wt depending on the circumstances and the situation.  When we're in freshwater after peacock bass and other exotics in local canals we're using 5wts up to 9wts (and that 9wt will have a full Intemediate line for working deep..).

Although I've been building rods since 1971 (and currently am restoring one of my spinning rods for the skiff)  - I long ago quit making fly rods for my anglers -since I just can't make one quickly enough - and we do break some rods...  The factory rods on my skiff are mostly by Temple Fork Outfitters (can't say enough good things about their customer service...).    

My absolute favorite of the fly rods I've made myself is still in service (but reserved for me and not used on charters any more...) after a careful restoration...  It's a 10wt, built on a Thomas and Thomas Horizon blank with a Powell machined aluminum reelseat that I put together back in 1995, just before I took up guiding... Originally,  the Horizon graphite series of rods and blanks were a teal blue in color.  During the restoration process I removed the finish by careful scraping just the surface then water sanding the surface with 400 grit wet/dry paper -and now that nearly 30 year old rod is a gun metal gray in color.  When I do this kind of restoration I never put any finish on the rod itself - only on the thread wraps that hold the guides.   The unfinished surface is just waxed periodically (and that's how I do all of my graphite rods, spin, plug, fly... when restoring them - including the one I'm working on now...  This old 10wt has seen hard commercial service including tarpon up to nearly 80lbs so these days it only comes on my skiff when I'm out exploring on my own without any customers aboard... I know that one of these days it won't survive a trip but that's all part of the deal... The first reel on it was a Billy Pate Bonefish model - these days it sports a Nautilus 10wt reel, usually loaded with a full Intermediate line... 

On 1/10/2023 at 9:08 AM, redband02 said:

I am just curious, is the Mike Clark bamboo all that it it cracked up to be?

Why don't you use it a lot?

I think I am afraid I will break it.  I plan on using it more this year.  It is an excellent rod.

Mine is an 8' 5 we. St. Croix legend, not the legend Ultra or whatever their top rod is.  It's my go to rod for trout or pond bass.  There are much more expensive and probably more performing rods, but I like the Legend.  I mainly mess around now with fiberglass rods, which I like.  They are heavier and slower than graphite but I enjoy fishing them.

Tom Morgan gave me a graphite Winston 8' 4 weight years ago (along with a couple others). It was a prototype rod that he built. I love the thing and fished the hell out of it. As you know Tom passed away a couple of years ago.  I am afraid to fish it now for fear of breakage but I'm sure he would want me to.  I also have my late fathers old glass rod that I pull out on his birthday.  I also have my late brothers rod that I built for him back in the 80's that I will fish now and again.

What brand: St. Croix Rio Santo
Rod length: 9 foot
The weight of the fly rod: 4wt
Action: Medium-fast
Is it a Fly Rod Combo? No
What do you fish with it? Trout, smallmouth, panfish
What did it cost you? $120 for the rod, $50 for the reel (Picisfun Sword), $60 for the line (Rio Gold) 

Currently, it's my only rod. Looking to add a nice 6wt to the quiver