Fly Tying
SalarMan

Vise Positioning

My pedestal sets locked inside a solid wood riser that I made.  I added nonslip grips meant for chair legs at the corners. The wide footprint allows me to utilize the taller stem meant for the C- clamp without the vise becoming “tippy”.  The hook ends up roughly at an elevation of a few inches below my chin and allows me to rest my elbows comfortably on the desktop while I tie. 

VISE.jpg.b278297e1ebd018b48f0536ea68bdf9b.jpg

Mine sits about nose level with my current chair.  It sits on top of something I "borrowed" from work when I retired.  

P2010356.JPG.81c46fddd63b04421b686d296e3cc7c4.JPG

4 hours ago, flytire said:

@ScienceGuy141 here you go

DSCN1438.JPG

i do NOT do anything special.

my table is from walmart and the top surface is 29 1/2 inches off the floor

the center axis of the renzetti traveler is 39 inches off the floor

when sitting in my office style chair, my nose is about as high as the vise and that make me look directly at the subject.

the chair seat is about 16 inches off the floor

chair.jpg

when sitting, i tie with my hands above my heart. i'm a short person and all of this nonsense works for ME

it took me over 40 years to achieve the tying position that's just right for me

be yourself and find the right sweet spot just for YOU

Greta stuff Norm. I sure do admire your work...and your well thought out needs for your tying...not to mention how neat your desk is compared to mine with its usual chaos.
Thanks for the insight.

George

3 hours ago, DFoster said:

My pedestal sets locked inside a solid wood riser that I made.  I added nonslip grips meant for chair legs at the corners. The wide footprint allows me to utilize the taller stem meant for the C- clamp without the vise becoming “tippy”.  The hook ends up roughly at an elevation of a few inches below my chin and allows me to rest my elbows comfortably on the desktop while I tie. 

Great setup Dean, and as you know I am also a big fan of that vise.

George

Mine is sitting where it always does in this house.  Right in front of this computer.  It's at chest (nipple?) level.  A lot of my newer patterns that I try and add to my patterns database are found right on this computer so that's where I tie (plus my computer chair has a nice back).

Kim

I use a pedestal vise and I set it on the keyboard shelf of my desk.  So, it sounds like I am in the solar plexus height group. 

21 hours ago, DFoster said:

Dean -

As an additional comment, my only issue with the TRV was the inability to attach a good usable material clip. I looked at the version on my Renzetti Master and a light went on in my head. I ordered one from them, opened the hole on the tab to fit the TRV and what you see is what I got. I set the clip at a height that works for me because when the Allen bolt is tightened back up to hold the head solid, the clip will not move.

George

DSC_0001 (28).JPG

DSC_0004 (31).JPG

@SalarMan

Honestly this is a great tip George and I wonder how long it will be before HMH offers something similar? I have considered adding the Renz clip as you show.  But I mostly tie small flies and often the materials are not long enough to reach the material clip. (several sets of hackle pliers ).  I also like to rest my left hand right where the clip is.  That said there are times where it would be nice to have one on my vise.  For me it's one of those "trade off" situations.    

1 hour ago, DFoster said:

@SalarMan

Honestly this is a great tip George and I wonder how long it will be before HMH offers something similar? I have considered adding the Renz clip as you show.  But I mostly tie small flies and often the materials are not long enough to reach the material clip. (several sets of hackle pliers ).  I also like to rest my left hand right where the clip is.  That said there are times where it would be nice to have one on my vise.  For me it's one of those "trade off" situations.    

I fully get what you are saying about the flies you tie and hand position. When I have a 2/0, 3/0 or 4/0 hook in the vise for a classic salmon fly I may have 2 different tinsels and the body hackle all tied in ready to go once the body is complete. Those items are usually 5" or 6" long and I have to keep them out of the way somehow...and that simple trick with the Master Series material clip was by far the best solution for me. Perhaps this will help another one of our fellow tyers.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

Dean -

As an additional comment, my only issue with the TRV was the inability to attach a good usable material clip. I looked at the version on my Renzetti Master and a light went on in my head. I ordered one from them, opened the hole on the tab to fit the TRV and what you see is what I got. I set the clip at a height that works for me because when the Allen bolt is tightened back up to hold the head solid, the clip will not move.

George

A clip like that mysteriously showed up in my mail yesterday for which I am eternally grateful for. I think it will work great for me. Thanks.

In his book Production Fly Tying, A.K. Best recommended that the vise be mounted at a height that allowed the tyer's forearms to be at no more than 20 degrees above parallel (with the floor/desktop) when tying. I've tried to hold to that recommendation ever since I read that, and have found that it does reduce fatigue in my arms and shoulders. I use a Peak rotary mounted to my desk with a C-clamp. When I am seated, the head of the vise is about at the level of my sternum. This does have me looking down at the fly, but, like Mikechell mentioned, I am looking through the bottom portion of my progressive eyeglass lenses, and this keeps my head level enough that I don't get neck cramps. If I need to see the side of the fly, I just rotate the vise. 

My vise sits clamped to the left side of my multipurpose desk at a height very close to Mikechell's and DarrellP's.  Yesterday I tied at an expo in New Orleans.  The vise was sitting about 6 inches higher.  It didn't seem to make a difference.  

I would adjust it to wherever you feel comfortable. I don't believe there's a certain degree above parallel. Everyone is built different.