Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Opening Day

Does your state have an opening day for fishing?

or is fishing open year round

i believe Connecticut is now year round

All year long season here in Mass. 

Seems some people around here view the rolling of the stocking trucks as sort of unofficial opening day, I think.   

I kinda miss the build-up in excitement that opening day used to hold for me when I was a kid, but I'd rather have it this way.  

Depends on species as well as the river or body of water here in Michigan. Some streams are special regulations/catch & release only and are open year round, others have seasons that are closed. For the trout streams here that are closed, they open on the last Saturday in April.

2 hours ago, flytire said:

Connecticut is now year round

Yes, only difference is it moves from catch and release to put and take on the 2nd Saturday in April  

Here in PA all stocked streams are closed to any fishing, I think from the end of February till opening day, usually the first weekend in May.  Special reg areas are usually open.  For other species the season is pretty much year round.   Bass season used to be closed for a month or two during the spawn, but now it's catch and release and no tournaments allowed.

I miss the old time of opening day the planning and prep-  we used to camp setting up the day before and stay the weekend cooking the first fish for opening breakfast. The build up to the season was good for missing 2 days of school Friday & Monday. Too many people around these parts (southern New England) to do that today I'm sure you get ticketed for camping and campfires without permits.

Varies depending on species and body of water here in Minnesota. The day everyone really refers to as opening day though is the walleye opener in mid-May. 

In Montana, there are many waters open all year but the general opener for everything is the third Saturday in May.

Down here in paradise (Florida) my first question would be "what's an opening day"?

After all there ought to be some compensation for putting up with all the BS my state has in too many cases...  For anyone not noticing our current weather spat - Mother Nature doesn't fool around when it comes to a bit of rain (25" in a day at my local airport - Ft Lauderdale, completely shutting it down for a few days...).

In Oregon the general season for Trout is: lakes open all year, streams open May 22 - Oct 31. But there are many exceptions with streams that are open all year or have some other season. Most of the streams I fish are open year round. It gets more complicated with some other species. You need to know the rules for exactly where you are going.