Fly Tying
BillD58

Fly tying station

My wife bought me a Orvis Fly tying kit last August. I had some medical issues. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to use it. The Vise won’t clamp to the table. Looking to get a fly tying station. Unfortunately I have no way to make one. Looking for suggestions on what would be a good one to get. Also was debating on getting a vise on a pedestal. Which would be a betting option. 

I've never used a fly tying station, but they do look nice. I dont have a designated tying desk or space for an organizer though, so all my materials get put away between tying sessions. I tie on a pedestal. If you get a pedestal, just make sure it's heavy enough to anchor your vise adequately for whatever you're tying. The c-clamps are more secure for flies requiring you to be heavy handed, but obviously you need a table that you can clamp to then. Unless you mean a separate fly tying desk as an fly tying station, the station organizers won't solve your vise clamping issue.  

26 minutes ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

I've never used a fly tying station, but they do look nice. I dont have a designated tying desk or space for an organizer though, so all my materials get put away between tying sessions. I tie on a pedestal. If you get a pedestal, just make sure it's heavy enough to anchor your vise adequately for whatever you're tying. The c-clamps are more secure for flies requiring you to be heavy handed, but obviously you need a table that you can clamp to then. Unless you mean a separate fly tying desk as an fly tying station, the station organizers won't solve your vise clamping issue.  

What would you recommend for a pedestal base vise? Looking at either the Renzetti traveler 2300 or the Griffin Mongoose. 

56 minutes ago, BillD58 said:

What would you recommend for a pedestal base vise? Looking at either the Renzetti traveler 2300 or the Griffin Mongoose. 

You could potentially just get a separate pedestal for your current vise. Regarding the two vises you mention, I have not tied on either one of them. The Renzetti travelers have a great reputation and are the work horse vise for a number of renowned tiers. I have only heard good things about the Mongoose as well, but it is not used nearly as widely as the Renzetti. If I were going to get a new vise, I would go with the Renzetti, but that is just me. If you have a fly shop or sporting goods store that carries fly tying vises, I recommend getting your hands on these vises and making the decision based on how they feel in hand. Be thinking about things like clearance around the jaws, positioning of the levers, ease of adjusting the jaws for different hook sizes, range of hook sizes the jaws can hold and how that relates to what you intend to tie, etc. Quickly glancing at these vises, I think I would reach for the Renzetti mostly because of the lever position and the Renzetti lever is metal. 

This convinced me that a fly tying station would never be enough: https://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?/topic/109799-how-many-spools/

I use 2 plastic storage boxes so far and I'll soon outgrow those.

I have some Plano organizer boxes in a larger box and a Fenwick tackle box for my tools.  I have a drawing board with a piece of felt on it with my vise on a pedestal base and a couple of old desk lamps where I tie.  Later I may make a couple of modular type organizers that will be simple and easy to make with a block of wood, some dowels, and a drill; one for threads and one for tools.

For use I set things up on the dining table.  It's an easy set up to take down and get out of the way for Sunday dinners.  I'm keeping it simple.

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/products/flat-pedestal-base

OF-914560-0000_500x[1].jpg

Just ensure the pedestal base is heavy enough for your tying, some vises also have a shorter stem to use with the base and a longer stem for the c clamp.

you can find nice tying benches from  oasis   Home. - Oasis Benches  if you can not make your own or find them on line Fly Tyer's Desk Top Bench Bob Marriott's (bobmarriottsflyfishingstore.com) is interchangeable for left-handed tiers. Oasis probably is one of the best-known, look before you leap, I spent a lot of time working on what I wanted. A bench is nice I take mine from the house to the travel trailer or on trips keeping the same setup. Take your time and think about what you want a bench to hold and what you use the most.

Both Renzetti and Griffin make quality vises. Either one will serve you well for the simple process of tying a fly. 

My view of the portable benches is the higher the price the more useless but cool looking holes you get. You can buy a pedestal vise for less then the price of a portable bench. Or you can just buy the base for 20 buck and use the vise you have. The overwhelming majority of vise stems are either 10mm or 3/8’s. So be sure to get one that will except your stem. 

J stockard has a couple of pedestal bases but they only weigh about 2- 2.5 lbs

I have gotten mine from E-Bay and they weigh about 4 lbs . I have been buying the Griffin base, up to over $37 now but weighs over 4 lbs

Your local fly shop should be able to order a Griffin Base for you if you don't Ebay

I have used the Griffin bases for years - a lot of times I buy a "clamp on" vise and just cut the shaft down to the size I need. I usuallly replace the  tightening screw with a hex bolt or similar screw

Tom

I’m a big fan of pedestal base vises over clamp-style vises.  The  clamp-style vises are just too limiting about where you can use them.  My personal choice is a an HMH Spartan.

Having a permanent place to tie is one of the best things you can do for yourself.  About 15 years ago, I invested in a small roll-top desk.  Best thing I ever did.  Since then, I’ve tied 100% of my flies.  Before that it was maybe 50%.  When you’ve got to pull all your stuff together each time you start a tying session, it’s easy to talk yourself out of it.  Last year, I was in a Goodwill store and saw several roll-top desks for sale, similar to mine.  They were not much more than $100.  A bargain, for sure.

As far as weight you can always place a weight on the pedestal to make it even more stable.  I put a cylindrical piece of steel on my pedestal that brings it up to about 5 pounds.  It's plenty stable.  And at a little over 2 pounds it was stable enough before I added the weight but I was aware of its lack of mass.  I just had the weight in my workshop and it was easy/convenient to set it on the flat base.  And it's not in the way at all.  I cut down a refrigerator magnet to fit the top of the weight and use it to hold extra hooks waiting to be tied.

As far as fitting your vise the hole in the pedestal base usually fits the vertical shaft on 8-10 mm AND 3/8" vises.  The screw coming in from the side clamps the shaft in the hole.  Yeah, make sure it fits but I'd be surprised if you find a pedestal base that won't fit.  My pedestal base is a Sunrise brand made in India and fits my original Indian made Sunrise Master Vise and 3 American made Thompson vises fine.

If I am correct , I think the kit your wife bought included a vise. If that is correct, I would just buy a pedestal base for not too much $$ and try tying for awhile and see if you like it.

If in fact you stick with it, then your will begin to figure out what you like/need before making another investment.

I would encourage you to check out this link and you can see a bunch of different fly tying benches/stations and solutions that other people use. After tying for awhile and figuring out what you like/need/want it will a fun and easy decision. Just my thought YMMV

Let's see your tying station

What you will notice if you check out the link above. Each tyer's station is unique. You will notice some similarities, but each one is unique to the individual.What is good for me may NOT be good for you.

Welcome to the forum. Have FUN.

tons of ideas here

fly tying benches - Google Search

IMG-2918_1024x1024@2x.jpg?v=1599857516

i use this one from Finest Fly Tying Benches of Colorado – Fly Ty Bench

get a simple pedestal from an online retailer and it fits right on top of the bench Griffin Pedestal Base - Fly Tying Vises and Accessories (caddisflyshop.com)

Griffin Pedestal Base - Fly Tying Vises and Accessories

3 hours ago, gillage said:

the kit your wife bought included a vise. If that is correct, I would just buy a pedestal base for not too much $$ and try tying for awhile and see if you like it.

If in fact you stick with it, then your will begin to figure out what you like/need before making another investment.

+1

Imo get the JStockard pedestal base for $20 until you get some tying time under your belt. It's a good match for a starter kit.