Fly Tying
DFoster

A couple of hours fly fishing in Colorado Springs

My wife and I just got back from 4 wonderful days in Colorado Springs.  We went out there with our daughter who has travelled to Colorado Springs for work and knows it well.  She filled our schedule with plenty of tourist things to do.  I knew before we left that we would only have a short window of time (if any) to fish... But damn it we’re talking Colorado here and I wasn’t going out there without a rod.  Because of the limited time I decided to go light with gear.  I packed two short 3 weights for my wife and I , 1 small pack with 1 box of assorted flies, a net, 2 back up leaders and 1 spool of 5X.  No wader staffs or waders, just water shoes.  We stayed at the famous Broadmoor which offers a 4 hour “fly fishing adventure” to their guest on their private section of river.  But- and maybe it's just me, a $1000 for 4 hours of fishing seemed  a bit excessive even if it does include a lunch.   FTF member Flyflinger, was kind enough to offer me some advice on where to find fish but the local rivers were flowing high due to rain and without wading gear I wasn’t sure which locations would be fishable.  We stopped at the Angler’s Covey to purchase our fishing licenses.  Hans, a staff guide could not have been more helpful and directed us to a knee deep small stream that was perfect.  Located above 10,000’ of altitude the water was cold, and the air was thin which kept our pace slow.  A slow pace was good because there was the threat of rattlesnakes.  Considering it was a 30-minute car ride over 6 miles of dirt roads to reach cell service we were careful to stay out of the tall grass and watch where we stepped.  On my 2nd cast I netted a 12” Rainbow and a few cast later my wife had a nice bow of her own.  Over the next two hours we each caught a couple of small Browns, lost a few others and took in the experience of the Rocky Mountains.    We spent as much time enjoying the natural beauty as we did fishing.  This was the very definition of small stream mountain trout fly fishing,  it was amazing!  

IMG_8516.thumb.JPG.973643b0c6732dbeba37f953a4f0f3ad.JPG

IMG_8521.thumb.JPG.6c35d18b8f03cc2c88af3cc8659dba34.JPG

IMG_8549.thumb.JPG.ba54d6bcfce8e7262afa114872e6d26f.JPG

IMG_E8519.thumb.JPG.b9665fc7237681d61ec7ba0d68000482.JPG

IMG_E8535.thumb.JPG.280634e01eb0bd29adb6140e75ef0a7d.JPG

IMG_E8547.thumb.JPG.25df222cd5c3332f0d603f1780c1aa4b.JPG

IMG_E8536.thumb.JPG.00df05988ed6e2a9f995e2c1fc9d6801.JPG

1 hour ago, RickZieger said:

Nice fish and photos.

Rick 

Thanks Rick- We truly had a great 4 days but my favorite part was our time fishing. 😄

On 8/16/2023 at 9:13 PM, chugbug27 said:

A+ for you DF, great use of that extra time

On 8/16/2023 at 9:24 PM, niveker said:

Beautiful all around, DF.  Nice report and photos. 

Thanks guys, the trout were not big but they were wild which is always my favorite and as you can see from the photo I couldn't have been happier!  I've never been a destination angler, in fact I have never gone on a trip where fishing was the primary reason to go.   I'm content just to get out on our local rivers for a few hours.  We had so much fun on the adventure that we intend to pack some tackle whenever feasible on future trips.  My daughter and wife said something about Utah next year on the flight home.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:58 PM, Bryon Anderson said:

That looks fantastic! That's exactly the kind of experience I would look for out there. Beautiful  pics. :)

Thanks Byron.  I have to much New Englander in me to move but I would love to visit that stream again someday 😊. It’s a really special place for a wild trout guy. 

On 8/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, DFoster said:

Thanks Byron.  I have to much New Englander in me to move but I would love to visit that stream again someday 😊. It’s a really special place for a wild trout guy. 

just saw this. That's CO for you

21 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Dunno how I missed this. Great pics!

Thanks Steve. It’s always nice to fish somewhere new as you know. 

What a great mini fly fishing adventure you had in Colorado Springs! It's so nice when locals share their knowledge of accessible spots. Sounds like finding that small high altitude stream was the perfect low key way to experience the fishing there. And how cool that you both caught trout on just your second casts. Experiences like that, enjoying natural beauty and catching fish on ultra light gear in scenic surroundings - that's what makes traveling to fish worthwhile, even if just for a few hours. Thanks for sharing the details of your trip. It's memories like those from Colorado that will keep you coming back for more fly fishing adventures.