Fly Tying
tagsoup

How to practice techniques?

My vise will arrive tomorrow and I'm ready to learn. I'll practice wrapping and whip finishing a bare hook to start, and I'll use cheap sewing thread at first, but when it comes to things like palmering hackle and winding pheasant tail barbs around a hook, how does one practice this without wasting material? Can I just wind and unwind hackle repetitively, or will the hackle take a set after the first time and not work for practice after that? I'd sort of like to have the techniques down a bit before I actually try to tie a fly. Or should I just go for it and tie some flies that look like a chromosome abnormality? I know they'll still catch fish but I want the fish to be proud of me, not hitting my fly out of pity. 

Ah man, just go for it and tie some flies. Don't over think this.

Pick an easy pattern with just a few materials.

When you can consistently tie that pattern and all the flies look the same for that pattern, you got it.

In the beginning almost every pattern will challenge you in a new way. Just get after it. You might need to tie a dozen before you get six that look the same. with the first six looking like chromosomal abnormalities. You're on a steep learning curve just relax and enjoy the ride. I can guarantee that the first time you catch a fish on one of your ties you will be grinning from ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat.

You got this. Now go tie some flies.

You’re sweating the small stuff. Whip finishing, palmering hackle, wrapping pheasant tail and most other “techniques”  have a zero learning curve and there is absolutely no reason to start with sewing thread. Most problems with starting out is in proportions, crowding the eye and too many thread wraps.  I agree just start tying flies. It’s not that difficult to tie fishing flies. You will waste some material but that’s fly tying. I’m sure the fish will be proud of your first attempts. Good luck and enjoy!

6 hours ago, tagsoup said:

I want the fish to be proud of me, not hitting my fly out of pity. 

LoL -very funny

I agree with Gillage.  Pick a fly and start tying. If the hackle, herl, body material, thread, or whatever doesn't look right, it can nearly always be unwound without harm several times. Don't be afraid to re-do several steps if things aren't going right. 

The consistency thing can be over-emphasized sometimes. 

One problem with sewing thread is it can be too thick, depending on size pattern you are tying, but that doesn't mean you can't use it, just something to be aware of. 

Right on, thanks guys. I didn't mean I was going to tie flies with sewing thread, I meant practice whip finishing and wrapping a bare hook. Nothing else. 

Now, the only reason why I asked is because I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, at the price of materials. Ok, I wasn't that shocked. Y'all warned me. Off I go to tie out of proportion flies with too many thread wraps and a crowded head. Proportion, got it. 

I think the best basic technique is thread control. learning to flatten (untwist) or to tighten the twist to make the thread behave the way you intended to achieve your desired outcome. there are YouTube (search fly tying thread control) videos with good explanations of techniques. learning and developing your technique will help you securing different materials. by all means tie a fly and have fun doing it tying should be a relaxing pastime not a frustrating one. proportions and neatness will develop with practice - starting with a simple pattern and tie it until you are happy with it. you can always take a razor blade and clean off the hook and start over.

Keep in mind that even those relatively expensive materials usually tie many-many flies.  I also concur with the advice not to over-think it.  Just blunder in, relax, try things, and have fun!  🤪  

It also helps to tie several flies of the same pattern and size consecutively - it will help you practice consistency, dubbing, head space, thread flattening, proportions, bulkiness (most beginners over-dress their flies using too much material), . . . etc.  

Good simple ones include:  pheasant tail nymph, hares ear, RS-2, WD-40, midge pupa like Brassy, Miracle Midge, Black Beauty, and Zebra Midge . . . there are a bazillion YouTube videos to watch.  My (biased) favorites include:          

Charlie Craven:   https://www.youtube.com/@CharliesFlyBox 

AvidMax:   https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLR4SExPuVZNHiWzoRFXYPgAhdWwEnlobZ  

Anglers All:   https://www.youtube.com/@AnglersAll/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0 

Regards, 

1 hour ago, tagsoup said:

I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you, at the price of materials.

If you want to economize there are some online stores that do focus on economy. Chuck and Deb is one, but there are many others

https://chuckanddeb.com/fly_tying_index.htm

And there's always roadkill...

Oh, and the relatives of dead fly tyers are often eager to get rid of their tying stuff, for reasons that may become obvious to you and your own family over time. 😉

Agree with all of the above.  If you want to practice whip finishing before you start, that’s not a bad idea.  You can even use a toothpick, instead of a hook..  

I've been tying for a long time.  Still can't do a whip finish.  It never stopped me from tying flies.  Go for it.  Start tying some flies.  The more you tie the more you learn and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks all! I tied some basic olive green buggers today, and even though each one had its little issue it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I'm pretty happy! I'll fish one tomorrow morning. Philly, I'm not gonna lie, that ol' whip finisher is a mind bender. I did get it down though.

I ended up deconstructing the flies several times to measure how much lead wire and chenille I used on each fly, and it wasn't much. I can make these things for a fraction of what I can buy them for. I should've started tying flies back in the 70s. Thanks again, good people! 

There is some excellent advice in the posts above.

Here is what I have to say.

1. Everyone that is an expert was once a beginner, even Charlie Craven.

2. The internet is a wonderful thing BUT internet cannot duplicate what is found in a good fly tying book. The fly tying book is organized in logical steps to teach fly tying by teaching you skills in a logical fashion and steps to tie basic and then more complex flies that you can actually fish. I used Fling and Putterbaugh. You can buy one used here:

https://www.amazon.com/Basic-Manual-Fly-Tying-Paul-Fling/dp/0806981466

3. Piss poor materials material make learning fly tying more difficult and create piss poor flies. Do not waste money in all in one kits UNLESS the kit is sold by ORVIS. They sell beginner kits with decent tools and material. However, I still prefer buy a higher quality flies and tools if you are sure you will continue to tie.

4. Personal instruction beats watching videos. I learn from the best - Gary Borger - and he gave me a huge advantage right at the start.

5. Even experts use tools rather than doing things "the traditional way." For example, Charlie Craven uses a Materreli style whip finisher - it is the best and much faster than whip finishing by hand. A 5 turn whip finish requires no head cement to prevent the fly from unravelling.

https://www.jsflyfishing.com/products/materelli-style-rotary-whip-finisher?variant=43244984893669

https://youtu.be/_3oGi7eU7Qg?si=0MHa_a33cwS7Rzph

6. Ihe Benchside Reference is the Bible of fly tying and I own one of the original copies of the 1998 edition, but in my opinion it is no  a book for a beginner. I suggest you buy a used Fling and Putterbaugh's Basic Manual of Fly Tying.