Fly Tying

I can't do it.  I've seen the videos and my fishing pal can roll cast like nothing.  I've watched him do it and simply can't straighten the line out.  It rolls, then lies in a puddle in front of the rod.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Hard to tell what's wrong without seeing your actual cast, but @gadabout's advice seems about right.  Sounds like you're not getting enough power in the forward snap.  Get a well formed 'D loop' before the foreword snap and keep the rod tip up at the end of the cast and pointing at the target. 

What action rod are you using?  Its harder to roll cast with a softer rod, IMO.  

When you raise your rod to pull line back to form the d loop you can't do it too fast. You need to maintain some tension/resistance on the line so you can roll the loop which will then continue to roll the line off the water.  Of course free advice is worth what you pay for it. 

Even though I fly fished and was catching fish, I decided to take an Orvis course to freshen up my skills. Very first thing they do is show you how to cast. I could throw the line well, but one instructor scrutinized my every cast. I told him where I fished I didn't have to cast far out-we are in NJ not Montana or out West where there is big water. He liked my roll cast though. He began to come around and told me I will be the 1st one to catch a fish out of the group of 10. We went to a stream by where I lived and  I almost got a fish by doing the roll cast. When we went for our final test, I caught the 1st fish and the most fish (got 3). I won an Orvis fly box and was invited for the next class to be a helper. 

On 10/6/2023 at 4:12 PM, RickZieger said:

The only way I learned was to practice on the lawn with no fly on the line. I will not tell you how many hours it took.

Rick 

Rick that is what we did when I took the Orvis course. On an empty soccer field with no hook but a little bit of weight on the line. Also learned how to avoid getting knots in the line.

Here are a few pointers I used when guiding/teaching - and I concur that fly line (not just leader)-in-the-water is the only way to learn and become proficient.  IMO the water tension on the fly line is a big part of the roll cast.  Of course, practicing on the lawn for consistency after you have the basic muscle memory is just fine.           

Technique:  Slowly raise the rod tip and consciously wait until the rod tip is just past vertical (but slightly away from your head) and slightly behind your shoulder, and then pause momentarily (the pause is important).  Then abruptly cast forward with an action similar to burying a hatchet in a log at waist level.  Start off with enough fly line to still have about 10-15 ft of fly line on the water at the top of the cast (the pause).  It also helps to use a relatively short (7.5 ft) tapered leader with a small tuft of yarn as a fly - it allows you to see the overall outcome of the cast.  You can migrate to more fly line in the water, and longer leaders after you're comfortable with the basics. 

That's my 2¢ worth . . .

Regards,

On 10/5/2023 at 9:31 PM, Gene L said:

I can't do it.  I've seen the videos and my fishing pal can roll cast like nothing.  I've watched him do it and simply can't straighten the line out.  It rolls, then lies in a puddle in front of the rod.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

1. You may be "aiming" too high by stopping the rod too early in the rod stroke.

2. You need to practice ON WATER so the rod can load properly. On water, there is adhesion between the fly line that is laying on the water and the water surface. This helps load the rod by forcing it to bend to break the water tension on the line.

3. If you must practice on grass, make a "grass leader" that mimics the drag of surface tension.

grass_leader_note.jpg.00e819e34ae616d3431c11534bfbcb91.jpg

Instruction for making a grass leader is in this issue of "The Loop" on page 4.

https://www.flyfishersinternational.org/Portals/0/Documents/Casting/The Loop/1998.SUMMER.LOOP.PDF

If you still are not able to roll cast, start with a side arm roll cast. If you are right handed, stand sideways with with your left side facing the direction you want to cast. Start the cast with the rod parallel to the water or ground. Draw the rod backward to your right side parallel to the water/ground behind your right side and then cast it forward (toward your left side) in an oval loop.

Once you are successful with a sidearm roll cast, gradually start increasing the oval cast and you will be "roll casting" side arm over your head. You now have the feel and timing of an overhead roll cast. So try doing it facing forward.