Fly Tying
Gene L

How did I get so many hooks?

I'm trying to consolidate my hooks today.  I've got way too many.  I semi-organized them in three Umpqua hook boxes. My problem is how to separate them.  In "Dry" and "Nymph" no problems, but then I've got Klinkhammer hooks, scud hooks in both light and heavy wire, nymph in standard and x long, curved shank dry, and probably some I haven't organized yet. I think I acquired them a few at a time when I saw a video of someone tying a fly on a certain hook and thought I needed some and because I couldn't find what I needed at home, I ordered some a few at a time. And they built up to a ridiculous state of affairs.  The lesson is to organize your hooks early so you know what you need and what you have. 

15 hours ago, Gene L said:

I'm trying to consolidate my hooks today.  I've got way too many.  I semi-organized them in three Umpqua hook boxes. My problem is how to separate them.  In "Dry" and "Nymph" no problems, but then I've got Klinkhammer hooks, scud hooks in both light and heavy wire, nymph in standard and x long, curved shank dry, and probably some I haven't organized yet. I think I acquired them a few at a time when I saw a video of someone tying a fly on a certain hook and thought I needed some and because I couldn't find what I needed at home, I ordered some a few at a time. And they built up to a ridiculous state of affairs.  The lesson is to organize your hooks early so you know what you need and what you have. 

If it is any consolation my Wife says I have the same problem. I myself don’t think she is correct however the two shoeboxes of hooks may prove me wrong. 

Michael

For the most part I tie and fish traditional trout flies in sizes 8 to 20.  The somewhat limited range of natural material classics kept my hooks and material collection at a reasonable level.  BUT this past summer I discovered Smallmouth living in a nearby river, suddenly I was making room for larger hooks and all sorts of streamer stuff.   Dyed furs and marabou come in hundreds of colors and as you know when it comes to synthetics there's simply no end to the options.   This could quickly get out of hand....  

To answer that question, how did you get so many hooks.? That's easy...tying and tying materials are an addiction 

7 hours ago, flytire said:

H3DsbmC.jpg

Yup that's happened to me.  I came home with a Starling skin only to realize that I already had one.  I find myself at the fly shop and can't remember what I have or need.   I started keeping a list in the notes section of my phone.  Anytime I'm low or out of something I add it to the list.  If I'm missing a material for a particular fly I add that to the list.  It works for me.

Same problem here.  I have hooks ranging from size 30, though I may have some size 32's I just can't see them, up to 5/0.  One thing I learned early after I was told that I would need dry, wet and nymph hooks was that I really didn't need wet and nymph hooks.  I could just tie them on dry fly hooks.  My one foible is that I prefer straight eyed hooks over down-eyed hooks.  When I moved into salt water I eventually realized if I rinsed the fly off after I used it I really didn't need to tie them on "salt water" hooks.  I use the same hooks I use for my bass flies.  Those I buy from non-fly fishing sources.  One of my favorite hooks for large flies is the Eagle Claw Aberdeen Crappie hook.  Wide gape, long shank, and sharp right out of the box, and cheap.

Materials, same problem that others have already mentioned.  I really don't know what I have.  I know I don't need peacock herl or starling skins.  I just have to keep that in mind.  I just open my birthday card from my sister.  A $75 gift certificate for the local fly shop, and I'll get another one for Christmas.  Definitely need to make a list before I had to the fly shop after New Year's.

My early years of fishing began with fishing for trout with minimal stuff and a minimal budget. Mainly it was simple yarn tied on a hook with an overhand knot and a split shot. I learned the simple ways of a Mennonite farmer. While the budget has grown, those lessons have never escaped me and I have as few gadgets, gizmos, hooks and materials that I realistically need. I consider myself lucky to have learned from a simple man when I read all of the posts about the expense and amount of stuff some accumulate. I’m sure I’ve bought double stuff before but I just can’t remember what it might have been, thread maybe? Brassie wire? Possibly a pack of hooks but I use all my hooks. I definitely won’t buy something when I have something that can be substituted, and everything can be substituted, and that applies double to hooks. Organization is key and so is not buying everything some YouTuber, famous fly tier, or just some guy on the internet ties his flies with. I do have a slight problem with cheap bobbins. For some reason I feel every spool of thread needs its own bobbin. 

A few years ago, I entered all my fly tying material into an Excel spreadsheet, which I keep a copy of on my phone.  If I’m contemplating a material purchase, I first search my spreadsheet to see if I already have it.  Works for me.

I have a list of dry fly hackle on my phone, especially when it got too pricey for me. Probably need to put hen hackle on too. Too many new items out now, makes it hard to keep up with it all.