Fly Tying
flytire

January Flies From the Vise

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Marks not the only one with a blue gill box so I made some blue gill stuff.  My blue gill box just isn’t as big as Marks. I’m hoping this floats on top with the tail down like a reversed Ned rig. 

Hook - size 10 dry fly

Thread - 6/0 Uni, red

Tail - squirmy wormy

Body - UV peacock herl/ brown hackle

IMG_8467.jpeg

I have none to show but they are a very good  sunfish fly.Greenies really love them.I had a couple dozen i tied a couple years ago but they all chemically broke down inside the storage box.Kind of melted together like plastic baits used to do .A gummy slimy mess.My best vesion was a bead nead tied on competition type 60 degree barbles hooks.I just glue them to the thread wrapped hook.A little ice dub near the bead and some parteidge a few wraps.I too use Gorilla super glue.I use pin vises with sewing heedles to apply as little glue as possible.They never come off unless the fish tear them off.With the tung bead and jig hook they fish really well and will get pretty deep pretty fast.

I too favor the gorilla glue.I use tung beads on 60degree competition type hooks.Wrap the shank well and apply glue sparingly with a needle and just glue the worm on.Wrap some ice dub near the bead and finish with some partridge soft hackle.These fish well in clear old stone quarries.They get pretty deep pretty fast and do not hang up easily as san juan style squirmies.I have no pics as mine were all a couple years old and all melted together in a gooey slimy mess.Why?I have no clue but will now tie them as i need them.The hooks and beads are not exactly cheap but i am.

Edited by jcozzz

1 hour ago, jcozzz said:

….

I just have always been in awe of those Maine streamers.Especially Carrie Stevens ties.

Me too. They have always worked well in my area.  Lew Oatman streamers too.

On 1/25/2024 at 7:14 PM, jcozzz said:

I too favor the gorilla glue.I use tung beads on 60degree competition type hooks.Wrap the shank well and apply glue sparingly with a needle and just glue the worm on.Wrap some ice dub near the bead and finish with some partridge soft hackle.These fish well in clear old stone quarries.They get pretty deep pretty fast and do not hang up easily as san juan style squirmies.I have no pics as mine were all a couple years old and all melted together in a gooey slimy mess.Why?I have no clue but will now tie them as i need them.The hooks and beads are not exactly cheap but i am.

Gooey slimy messes suck. The rubber is better nowadays. 

On 1/25/2024 at 6:46 PM, Mark Knapp said:

It's only a matter of time now. I bet you'll be 'gill fishing before me. My panfish trip doesn't start till April 18 and runs for 6 weeks. I had to negotiate down from 3 months to 6 weeks. My wife doesn't trust me down at Havasu for a full three months. Too many fish, I guess.

March thru May is striper fishing for me, June and July are  SMB and flounder,  and August is about right for pannies. 

36 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

March thru May is striper fishing for me, June and July are  SMB and flounder,  and August is about right for pannies. 

I'll catch few stripers, SMB and LMB  and a cat or two as by-catch while I fish the red ear. I even caught a turtle last year.

I hope everyone has a great season.

On 1/25/2024 at 1:14 PM, SalarMan said:

Unfortunately we will never really know...we can only speculate and do the best we can.

Here's a really good article all about the late Carrie Stevens and her streamer patterns including a step by step pictured autopsy of one of her Blue Devil patterns. It's from the American Fly Fisher magazine. I'll try and post the link to it below if it works here. It starts on page 10, and concludes around page 20 if I remember correctly.

2002-Vol28-No2.pdf (amff.org)

Regards,

Mark

30 minutes ago, mvendon said:

Here's a really good article

Thank you Mark for posting this. I had not seen this article and I enjoy tying history as much as tying much like the Hilyard's book.

Chris