Fly Tying
Moshup

Grizzly Hen Tips !

Anyone have a source for some nice rounded grizzly hen hackle for tying Adams ?  I have been searching a long time and the hackle isalways too pointed or too large.  Have tried the Whiting winger pack but the hackle is just too wide for suitable Adam wings. Any suggestions ? 
Thanks..

I bought a bunch of domestic hen capes from a guy on ebay a while back. They are perfect for winging drys and cheap, around 10$ a cape. Also another option are the whiting brahma hen capes. I know there's no grizz in the brahma line, i use the molted gray and its close enough for me.

I've been doing it with hen hackle feathers the way Norm (flytire) suggests for almost 50 years.

regular barn yard hens work fine check around for people tht raise chickens for laying.

One add on to the nail clipper thing...NEVER EVER use the clippers for anything but feather work. Be sure that the blades are curved as well. Large toe nail clippers (the preferred size for this application) often come with straight blades. Be sure to check closely.

I'm the cheapest bastard around.  Get some grizzly Indian hen capes, 5-7 bucks a pop, a great deal considering the ridiculous 'genetic' prices. Get a couple. It helps if you can visit a store and pick through their stock.   

flytier thats not a grizzly cape more of a dominique hackle chicken not related to grizzly at all

you would have to argue with Dr Tom Whiting on what breed his chickens are - not me 

isnt "grizzly" more of a "color" than a breed

what i showed will definitely work for Adams wing tips

fish cant tell the difference 🤫🤫

I think it's a Barred Rock chicken.  I don't know the difference tween Barred Rock, Dominiker and Grizzley. I think Griz is just a pattern off one of the two gray barred chickens and not a breed. Bob Jaklin said BR but the modern term is called grizzly.

When I was a kid we had Dominiker chickens in the yard.  They were hardy chickens and avoided the typical chicken-killers like weasels. 

On 3/24/2024 at 6:30 AM, flytire said:

you would have to argue with Dr Tom Whiting on what breed his chickens are - not me 

isnt "grizzly" more of a "color" than a breed

what i showed will definitely work for Adams wing tips

fish cant tell the difference 🤫🤫

I have argued.with tom on occasion. been raising birds since the 70's