Fly Tying
fish`n feind

What`your favorite kind of fish to eat

I would also have to say that I'm not much for freshwater fish but I do like saltwater.

Cod, Haddock, Halibut, Hake, Tuna....

Here is a picture of a Skate that I caught from shore while vacationing in Maine this summer.

I ended up letting this one go as my wife felt bad for it (it was "smiling" at her :blink: )

I have heard they taste like scallops? For those who have tried it is that true? Wish I had given it a try.....

Tom

IPB Image

It was in the sink .... until I showed my wife and son....

then it was back across the street with it....

When you flip it over you can see the mouth and gills, my wife said it looked like it was smiling at her :dunno:

Soooooo.... she felt bad and said.... let him go (yes dear...) :( so he went back to be caught another day....

Tom

I have never tried it but have also heard that skate tastes like scallops. Some people take a punch and cut out the wings. Like real scallops

I'm gonna have to go with Crappie. The fillets are so tender and have an awesome taste.

I also love salmon.

mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm!

You guys got me thinking about going out and getting some crappie

Never even thought of eating them,its kinda hard getting over the name lol

Thanks to every one posting Fish`n feind

I'd have to say Crappie, sliced thin, covered well with mix, and fried crispy.

Second favorite: Northern Pike with scrambled eggs and grits (breakfast). When you are camping in a secluded spot in Canada ..... and have your tentsite on a point and the sun is up but just barely ...... and then you smell the smoke from the fire ..... and you sit down on a big log with a plate full of the aforementioned fare...... it''s awful hard to beat in my book.

skatewing!!!! :headbang:

What is that? :huh:

Hi Steve,

on this side of the pond we call it RAY,don't know why maybe because it looks like sting ray but it don't grow as big.

There are two ways of filletting the skate,if the skate is large enough you can cut from the back bone along the wing out to the tip, in strips of approx 3" wide and deep fry in batter, otherwise you cut off the wing completely and dip in batter and deep fry in the whole.

In the States you have McDonnells(fast food)here in Ireland we also have Mcdonnells but we also have what we call the cafe(chipper)It is usually owned by an Italian family and all the food is deep fried in beef grease.

I know it don't sound too good but as they say, don't knock it until you have tried it. ;)

hope you can understand the above. :rolleyes:

It really is a beautiful fish to eat,tastes more like chicken than fish. :headbang:

I cook for a living, from an opinion stand point, I think that just about any white fish goes well with fresh lemon juice and brown butter.

dust fish with flour, pan fry, season with salt and WHITE pepper. remove fish from pan, sqeeze lemon juice (it will reduce in hot pan) add a few tablespoons of butter and wait a few seconds until it begins to turn brown. simply pour the brown butter over fish.....

oh la la dinner is served

try it you will like it. it is also a simple camping sauce

we serve the skatewing like that, but we add a few capers and fresh parsley to the sauce. it rocks!! :punk: :rockon: