Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

foam flies

I just started tying up foam flies recently. The question I have is do any of you know of a simple fly to start out with other than grasshoppers. I've been looking but cant find much. bass, bluegill, and trout. Any ideas?

Foam beetles are easy. Here's what you need:

HOOK: Standard dry fly #10-18

THREAD: Black 6/0 (at least until you get the hang of tying with foam)

OVERBODY: Black sheet foam, 2mm or 1/8", cut into a strip as wide as the hook gap

UNDERBODY: Peacock Herl, 3 to 5 strands, depending on hook size

LEGS: Rubberlegs, small black

INDICATOR: foam or yarn, brightly colored (optional)

1. Prepare foam strip. Cut a > at one end of the foam strip.

2. Attach thread to hook and wrap a base back to a point directly above the barb.

3. Attach foam strip, with the length projecting to the rear of the hook.

4. Attach peacock, making sure that after securing, the thread is at the barb position.

5. Make a herl rope by wrapping the peacock strands around the thread. You'll need 15-20 wraps around the thread to cover a #14-16 hook shank.

6. Wrap herl rope forward, securing one eye length behind the eye. Any extra herl wraps can be unwound prior to securing.

7. Pull foam strip over the top, and secure with three firm wraps of thread. (don't trim the excess foam just yet)

8. If you're going to add an indicator, do so now. Attach with three wraps of thread. Trim indicator so that the material is slightly longer at the rear, and so that no material will hang over the hook eye.

9. Attach rubber legs to each side of the body, wrapping in the same place as the securing wraps for the overbody and indicator.

10. Pull back legs and extra overbody foam to expose the hook eye. Whip finish.

11. Trim overbody foam even with the hook eye.

12. Trim legs just longer than the hook gap width.

I was able to tie up some humpies. Lots of color combinations, and not too difficult.

Have a good one

Pat carroll

This is one of the first foam flies I learned. I'm not sure what the guy who showed it to me called it, but I dubbed it the "fun foam popper".

Materials:

Hook: Dry Fly 1 or 2XL, straight eye, size 4 to 10

Tail: Marabou

Body: palmered hackle

Head: foam circle punched from craft foam.

Thread: color to match foam.

I punch out foam circles using spent brass. .32 to up to 12 ga. If you look hard you can find bags of pre punched foam circles in a variety of colors. I prefer white, yellow and green.

Tying instructions

Wrap your thread on to the shank and leave it hanging just behind the hook eye. Next step is probably the hardest for the whole pattern. Take a foam circle and pinch it at the bottom. It will form a cup faced head.

Now pinch the foam circle against the sides of the hook shank and take your thread and make several wraps in front of where you are holding it. This should lock it in place. If not you can turn it so it's on top of the hook. I'll put a drop of thin Zap-A-Gap to hold it in place.

tie in the marabou tail, the marabou can also be wrapped down to form a body if you want.

tie in your hackle by the tip at the bend and wrap forward to behind the eye. Wrap down, trim the excess hackle, whip finish.

Take a pair of scissors and trim the hackle on the hook shank flat and you're ready to go.l

You already have alot of good suggestions, but I'll throw Skip Morris' book Tying Foam Flies in there as well. The predator is very simple and probably the most effective stillwater foam fly I have ever used when fished correctly. :)

RJD31, thnx for the link. I seen some pretty awesome flies there guys. And, those flies that were mentioned in the thread were awesome as well. Been getting alot of hits from the bass on the surface lately so Im trying to find the best flies to get em. Been having great luck with the hoppers. I'll try these others in the upcoming week and see how things go. Now if I can just get the g.f. to pick up the rod, instead of just talking about it <_<

You might also want to try the Predator. (My Avatar.) It's in the data base. It came from a video by Chris Helm "Tying Panfish Flies That Work." He also has a black cricket pattern that is tied with foam. But all of his patterns work.

BB

These ones are easy to ty and work great for trout and bass.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Ken B)