Fly Tying
oatka

My Daughter's First Solo Fly

So, yesterday I pulled out the vise, clamped it to the table, and tried some new techniques found on this forum. After about a 1/2 hour or so I got up and went into the other room. Well, of course my daughter who is 2.83 years old decided it was her turn at the vise. So, while I was out of sight she pulled up a chair to the desk and started tying on her own. Now this isn't the first time she's tied a fly, but this is the first time she tied one ALL BY HERSELF! The desk she was tying at is my new fly tying desk, but it's incomplete and therefore there aren't many tools or materials available for her to grab, so she worked with what she had. She did fairly well, don't you think? Oh, I got video of this too, but It's still on the camera.

Check out her first solo tied fly. I forgot to ask her the name.

IPB Image

And here's an action shot.

IPB Image

She used the trim thread I got with my rod building kit. Check out the detail she put into that fly.

So, after taking a few pictures I asked her something about my fly tying desk, and her answer was (pointing to herself) "no, my flying table. My flying table." Yep, there you have it, my new fly tying desk, as incomplete as it is, has already been claimed by my daughter....and she's not even 3 yet. Of course, any of you that have daughters will know that I have NO choice but to give it to her. No choice...absolutely none. Zippo, Zero, Nada! My wife made some comment about how my daughter was more interested in it than my sons, but fortunately they both were excited while i was tying. They were right there in my face trying to get in on the action. The tying desk is a magnet for kids......but I must admit I don't mind as long as they behave.

And then just before bed, I had to ask her one more time about the desk, and again she said "MY flying table." :D

great story and pics....priceless...she'll be spinning woolys in no time...my girls are always willing to go to the basement to play, and Daddy can tie flies......the bench is too high for them to get into trouble (I tie standing up).....and when they get tired of me checking on them and want to play alone....they say "Daddy goe tie flies".....

Great pics and story!

My daughter has been tying for about a year now. Seems like yesterday when she tied the first one. SHe's just about 9 years old and got a sewing machine for christmas. Needless to say fly tying kinda got pushed aside. I haven't tried to push her to tie more lately. I'm sure she'll want to more when summer comes and we're in pursuit of local bluegill poplations.

My now 6 year old son has also been tying about a year now and is starting to get pretty good. He ties mostly panfish stuff, but he's been asking me to show him how to tie some bigger flies for largemouth and smallmouth bass.

I got him his first fly rod for his birthday a few weeks ago. A real slow-moderate 4wt weight that is gonna be great for him to learn to cast with. He was bouncing off the walls when he opened it. :yahoo:

awesome!

I'm working on teaching my 7yo son the basics, when I can get him to the bench between all the other things he's always doing.

I think it's great she's interested and you're willing to let her have-at-it. If only more people would pay attention to their kids.

hope you realize you're creating a monster... girls are expensive, but a girl who ties flies? WOW, second-mortgage time! :)

:yahoo: Thats fantastic! My grand daughter is three and is eye balling my tying desk. Her sister Morgan 17 years old tied her first fly last week. She wanted some thing in PINK. Needless to say I got some PINK yarn out and she went to work. I will same that fly as long as I live.. Again congrats on our new fly tier. :yahoo:

I bought a few things to get my 7 year old grandson started. We've been to the local stocked ponds a couple times with spinning gear and he does real well with that. He has seen my collection of tying goodies and decided he wants to try that some day. He and his younger brother and sister have already claimed one of Papa's fly rods for themselves. I have a 2WT and two 3WT's that I will probably be replacing before long. Their grand-parents on the mothers side live on a private pond stocked with small bass and bluegills. Perfect for them. I have a feeling my tying supplies will also decrease when my two littlest squirrels decide they want to try that too.

Mike

Hello all, I have been reading and learning a ton from everyone on this forum...this is my first post...

Great pictures of the little fly tyer. My son is 4 and loves to sit and play with my extra vise while I tie. Its great, he already has LOTS of questions about all the materials and what fish the flies will catch. He points to the flies I tie and says "when I get big I am going to tie those" After seeing your daughter tie I think its time to put some material in his hands....

Great pics

Greg

Dude that is cool..my 6yr old likes to play around with my stuff so i got him his own materials even a vise..He tied one up for his kindergarten teacher and she loved it says "it is great work for the motor skills" she asked if he could tie a crab( her last name is crabbs ) guess what he wants to do yep a crab....even my 20month old is interested (mostly at seeing what cool stuff he can get into...he even pulled out a whole spool of my thread on night had it all over and wrapped around himself( no danger though i was keeping a eye on him..good thing i didnt need that spool )....anyway keep her going they grow up fast b4 you know it will be dad can i borrow the car...plllleeeaaassseeee........ :D

Oatka,

That's great stuff!! I know because my oldest daughter just tied her first solo flys this past summer while she was visiting. She's already talking about tying more when she comes this year. I suspect, if her interest is still as high as it was last year, she'll be taking a vise and some tools back with her this year :rolleyes: .

Terry

Thats great. My 12 eyar old was tying inch worms the other day. She loves the color purple so of course thats what she used. Whatever I guess, as long as she enjoys it.

That's real cool man!!

I've got 11mo old twin daughters, I look forward to the day. Those are great pics. She looks some pleased with herself!!

Thanks for sharing.

that is too cool!! she's a natural.

i'm sure she knows exactly where her flies are when she is done tying them. :D she'll keep track. When you take the kids fishing this spring she should take her flies along. she will get the biggest kick out of catching a fish on one. Then she can show her brothers how its done :lol: thanks for sharing oatka