Fly Tying
Claudia

Flies from the vice.

Claudia,

This is what I have been tying for a buddy's trip to the Frying Pan and Blue.

mysisA.jpg

Mysis Shrimp

Hook: TMC 2487 #20

Thread: 17/0 Uni

Antennae: Coq de Leon, Medium

Eyes: Burnt Mono

Legs: Fluoro-Fiber

Abdomen and Tail: Micro Tubing crimped with Coq de Leon/ UV Knot Sense

Kimo

Great tie on this pattern :headbang:

:bugeyes: hillbilly that box is looking better every day

:bugeyes: John that is just SICK :headbang:

:bugeyes: Lars M awesome v wing and zonker

Can't wait to see more

Rocky

Claudia,

This is what I have been tying for a buddy's trip to the Frying Pan and Blue.

mysisA.jpg

Mysis Shrimp

Hook: TMC 2487 #20

Thread: 17/0 Uni

Antennae: Coq de Leon, Medium

Eyes: Burnt Mono

Legs: Fluoro-Fiber

Abdomen and Tail: Micro Tubing crimped with Coq de Leon/ UV Knot Sense

Kimo

Kimo, have your buddy and you, that is if you are going, stop in Cutthroat Anglers in Silverthorne, right on the Blue. 400 Blue River Parkway, (970) 262-2878 or www.fishcolorado.com Tell them Futzer sent you. It is a really cool shop and Trapper, Chris, Andrew etc will be happy to set you up on where to fish. Excellent Mysis` BTW. If the trip is soon be set on BWO's in 22s, 24s and a few no see ums in 30 32. Do a couple string things, white thread on 28 or smaller hook, thats all. The best Mysis time of year is in run off season on the Blue, when Dillion Res fills and spills. Dillion is a bottom shiponed only dam, so the water temp is cold, when it fills and spills the water temp is raised and the real pigs line up below the dam. So it is not uncommon to see a flyfisher with the outlet stores of Silverthorne have a 30" rainbow on, and a crowd gathered.

For the Pan, I like size 20 or 22 candy cane midges. red and white crystal flash body, candycaned, with a very small peacock head. Don't tell anyone else K.

Cheers, Futzer, oh and good luck.

Finally got my desk cleaned off from last year. Started a few midges. The first one is just antron yarn (maybe 8 fibers from the yarn,) and a little peacock herl. The second one has a little CDC pulled over the peacock and a CDC "wing."

Nothing like a little close up to show the flaws in your work.

post-12074-1231209534_thumb.jpg

Normally I am busy cranking out flies for my tying classes all winter, however.... Patti Beasley asked me this fall to tie up some flies for the 2009 Indiana on The Fly show. She has an Entomologist From Purdue that will be in the Education Center part of the show with samples of the aquatic insects found in the streams around Indiana. She thought it would be a good idea (and I agree) to have some flies along side some of the insects to see what flies might represent the insect at a various stage. So......

Through great effort on her part and mine, we finally got the list of insects from the Entomologist around the 12th of December, just in time for the holidays. I started the research when I got the list and by about the 20th had a list of flies (with recipes) to tie up. Needless to say these are not just "fishing" flies. These need to be tied nicely, you know look like they were tied by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

I just finished them up over the weekend and am in the process of finishing the display case. Sorry, no pictures at this time. I have been to crammed to just get them and the cases done in time. But there is a larva and adult Stonefly, Dobsonfly, Mayfly and Caddis. As will as a Water Boatman and a Adult Crane Fly. Only one is my own creation, the Adult Dobsonfly. The rest are patterns I have tied or found during my research. I was mostly interested in finding flies that would resemble just the insects that are local to Indiana waters.

So... here are a couple of pictures of the Mayfly flies. Not certain if any of these were tied by Eric Austin but they are used in his story/web page at Fishing With Flies.

Here Is the Brown Drake Larva

BrownDrakeLarva.jpg

Here is The Brown Drake Spinner

BrownDrakeSpinner.jpg

So, that is what I have been tying. And they actually look like the pictures.

Stop by the education Center at the show this Saturday to see the rest.

Good lookin flies!!! I plan on being at the show in Indy this weekend.

Normally I am busy cranking out flies for my tying classes all winter, however.... Patti Beasley asked me this fall to tie up some flies for the 2009 Indiana on The Fly show. She has an Entomologist From Purdue that will be in the Education Center part of the show with samples of the aquatic insects found in the streams around Indiana. She thought it would be a good idea (and I agree) to have some flies along side some of the insects to see what flies might represent the insect at a various stage. So......

Through great effort on her part and mine, we finally got the list of insects from the Entomologist around the 12th of December, just in time for the holidays. I started the research when I got the list and by about the 20th had a list of flies (with recipes) to tie up. Needless to say these are not just "fishing" flies. These need to be tied nicely, you know look like they were tied by someone who knows what he/she is doing.

I just finished them up over the weekend and am in the process of finishing the display case. Sorry, no pictures at this time. I have been to crammed to just get them and the cases done in time. But there is a larva and adult Stonefly, Dobsonfly, Mayfly and Caddis. As will as a Water Boatman and a Adult Crane Fly. Only one is my own creation, the Adult Dobsonfly. The rest are patterns I have tied or found during my research. I was mostly interested in finding flies that would resemble just the insects that are local to Indiana waters.

So... here are a couple of pictures of the Mayfly flies. Not certain if any of these were tied by Eric Austin but they are used in his story/web page at Fishing With Flies.

Here Is the Brown Drake Larva

BrownDrakeLarva.jpg

Here is The Brown Drake Spinner

BrownDrakeSpinner.jpg

So, that is what I have been tying. And they actually look like the pictures.

Stop by the education Center at the show this Saturday to see the rest.

tups_indispensable_wet.jpg

Tups Indispensable (wet) - or variation, if you so wish

Hook: Kamasan B175 #14

Thread: Pearsall's Gossamer, yellow, waxed with cobbler's wax

Hackle: Sandy dun Whiting Coq de Leon

Tail: Sandy dun Whiting Coq de Leon barbs

Butt: Tying silk

Body: Tups dubbing mix

tups_indispensable_wet_soaked.jpg

Same fly, but soaked

Cheers,

Hans W

Hans W,

Thanks for the recipe info. Will file that one away. Nice Flies.

Wow so whoever suggested just buying stuff in the regular fishing equipment at Cabelas probably didn't expect this. I know it is hideous, but it did just come out of the vise. lol. It reminds me of the lochness monster, and it floats!!!!

post-1167-1231286340_thumb.jpg

I photographed a set of flies last evening which were submitted for inclusion in Flytier's Page, and thought I would share one of the images. Call it a sneak peek...

Interesting structure in the body of this cased caddis, no? ;-)

dj_4.jpg

Cheers,

Hans W

Hi Flytier

How did you make the body on that fly it looks great and i would love to make some for my fly box.