Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Brian Brown75

Other hobbies

Does anyone have any hobbies besides the odvious tying and fishing? I do models of tanks and figures and recently got fired up on them again after winning four awards for two models. Ill be going to nationals in a couple years

I am a welder by trade so I like to build stuff out of both metal and wood, I make my own bows and arrows,knives stuff like that. I can't sit still so i'm always fiddling with something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Long distance bicycle riding and hiking in the mountains around here. Winter is the only time I can do that here. A little warm here in the summer, but it's a dry heat. :hyst:

Golf and running I am on the cross country and track teams for my school B) . In fact right now I am supposed to be looking for track spikes.

I like to work a lot of long hours or fish/tie flies.... not much of a life at all here in boring bucks county PA.... I would love to get a harley to cruise, but my second mother (wife) won't let me.

Cycling, woodworking, and photography.

This year I was training for a triathlon (my first and I'm not a runner by any stretch of the imagination) but ran into some medical issues so that is sidelined until next year.

I play baseball, watch baseball, and watch more baseball. And of course the obvious, tie flies, build rods, and cast the flies the rods. :rolleyes:

Here she is....

Picture001-1.jpg

Yup, a good old homebrewing set up. Still in the works but good enough to brew some 200 gallons each years :rolleyes:

Good beer, bad beer, it doesn't matter... it's all beer :D

My other hobby is even more expensive than fly fishing :wallbash: Been real big into building drag cars and lifted trucks since I was a kid. This is my current project I've been working on for about the past 10 yrs now....all tube chassis fiberglass body 69 GTO with a 540 big block.

gtoi.th.jpg

One of my Blazers I built badck in the mid 90's

blazery.th.jpg

Have been into a lot of other things over the years. Use to race nitro powered RC cars&boats, was into models for a few years, got into airbrush painting for awhile. Actually just this past week started on another new hobby with the purchase of a SLR camera and a bunch of camera gear...like I needed another expensive hobby :wallbash:

Steve

Has to be guitar I guess.

..and this surprizes and astonishes me to no end! I never gave 2 seconds of thought to playing any musical instrument for my whole life. Never knew anyone who even owned a musical instrument other than a dog whistle. Then two years ago the wife decided we would take a Community College beginning guitar course for family "togetherness." I figured to hide in the back for the 2 hours every Tuesday over the eight weeks...just get it over as painlessly as possible and keep the peace. Instead something incredible happened. As the instructor explained how the guitar works I was amazed.

I realized... Hey...This is just like fly tying. To make something beautiful and useful ...rather than fur and feathers for flies...one makes use of musical chords...placed in varying arrangements to make songs.

I suppose because of my many years of fly tying and knot tying while fishing I had developed well disciplined dexterious fingers that adapted speedily to the new task of finger picking the flattop. Anyway I was off and playing the thing in no time at all. Come end of the course eveyone else in the class, including the wife, was still trying to figure out the A chord from a D7. The instructor accused me of having prior experience...but no way lady.

I try to play at least an hour every morning. No bands or public perfromances for me though. I find it a great personal emotional release....a real stress reliever. As someone said..music is the noise the soul wants to make. Know what?...They were right. I'm just sorry that it took me so long to find out...but I found out....(sorry Beatles)

For me it's training bird dogs and hunting. I focus mostly on upland bird hunting but bow hunt for deer a little also. We got my daughter a pointing lab pup this winter and will be working on training it for both upland and duck blind work. Finally a reason to go out and shoot my own wood duck feathers! (somehow I don't think this will be cheaper though,,,,, :rolleyes: )