Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Welcome to the forum Panfisher... got your email. I look forward to the Renzetti .pdf's I emailed you back with my addy. I really appreciate it.

tom

A friend gave me a Cabelas Master vise. I just don't know any better is why I keep it.

Maybe someday I'll get another one, but I'm still learning, so who knows.

I am a (reasonably) happy HMH Standard user. I've had the vise for twenty years, and have yet to tie smaller trout flies on a vise that is more enjoyable.

My father has used a Dyna King for many years, and I am truly impressed how securely it holds larger hooks. But the large collet adjustment knob makes tying small flies on this vise completely annoying.

For tying large flies, I frequently use a Griffin Patriot. It's not beautiful, but that hook aint going nowhere.

I've been using a Montana Mongoose for about a year now. Decent vise but alot of small quirks that bother me. Overall not entirely satisfied.

Well, I just picked up a new Regal vise and as of right now, couldn't be happier. It's just so nice to just throw in a hook and off I go. I don't have to waste time adjusting the collet, and the hook holding power seems excellent. Overall, it does what I need it to but I'm sure I'll find something I don't like about it in time. lol

So I've been doing a little research today. I've looked all over this board, retail sites, and manufactures homepages to find my next vise. I narrowed it down to the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose, Peak Rotary, and the Danvise. After much deliberation, I think I've decided to go with the Danvise. I've been tying for long enough to upgrade to the next level of vises.

I currently tie on a Cabelas Master Vice. Now I just have to tell the wife. :huh:

I began tying on an A type vise and used it for about 1 year. Since then I've been through a Griffin Odyssey, a Regal, an HMH, a Thompson Supreme, a Peak, and now have a Renzetti Traveler Cam. The Griffin was too cheesy, the Regal was great until the first time I failed to put the hook in far enough and it shot the hook out like a bullet, ricocheted and pierced my eyelid and eye, I just didn't like the HMH, the Thompson was poorly made and had too much slop, the same with the Peak. I've been using the Renzetti for almost 3 years now and have taken a liking to it. The only change I would even consider would be to go to a full sized Renzetti because of my big hands. I feel a bit cramped with the Traveler when I try to rest my hands on it to steady them when doing precise cuts.

Joe P.

Well, I was tying on a Danvise....until for no discernible reason, a plastic bolt (or threaded rod?) inside the rotating barrel just decided to split into two pieces. I hadn't cranked down on the adjustments at all, in fact vise rotated a bit while I was tying (wasn't a difficult pattern). when theat plastic bolt broke it sent the crank and adjustment screw inside the crank and two concave slip washers flying across the room into the wall. I was disappointed, since I was just getting used to the vise. It will take me a while until I can see if I can repair the vise. If I'm able to, you know that plastic threaded rod, is gone...it'll be all steel. I've looked, but haven't been able to find an exploded view of a Dnvise (aka Danica vise). If anyone has acces to one, I'd appreciate seeing it, since it would tell me how to approach fixing the thing. Finished up the flies I was tying for the Tom Nixon swap on my old Sunrise vise (which I've used a s a backup vise for ages, got it for less than $5 when a local sporting goods store in town closed its doors. so it looks like I'm back to the Sunrise and my venerable Thompson A for at least a while. I don't really care that much as long as the vise holds the hook securely, which I've always found has been a matter of learning how to correctly adjust the vise for different size hooks.

Mark Delaney

I started out with one that came in my bass kit.Then moved up to a cheap rotating one ,now I use a Griffin Mongoose the only problem i have is when you rotate it upside down the vise sometimes gets in the way.Loooking at ther Griffin Patriot as a backup vise.

I currently use a Dyna king barracuda. I have gone through a bunch of others and it is the best made vice on the market, but they all have there highs and lows. The barracuda will crush hooks and the jaws are a bit rough to go below 18's. I really dont like the renzetti vises because I dont think they hold a hook very well and they arent as well made as some of the others. The regal vises are really nice, especially the new one with the stainless jaws. It has great holding power and has the finest jaws of all their vises. Rumor has it that they are going to have a full rotary model out some time next year. One other vise I like is the Griffin Patriot. The dan vise is a great value but if you slip a hook you need new jaws. Peak, HMH and Anvil are all making great vises too. I dont have any experience with a nor vise, so I have no opinion. If I were looking for a new vice I would look for something with cam jaws, ability to hold a variety of hook sizes, and solid construction. I think that any of the dyna kings fit all of those requirements and I would look at regal as a second choice, and HMH as a third. One thing to consider also is if you want fixed, rotary, or true rotary. Too many vices and too little time.

Just started a few months ago and I bought a rotating Renzetti. The place where I bought is was quite open about it being a knock off but I am quite happy with it. When I get to know more about what I want I will be a more discriminating buyer.

So I guess it isn't a Renzetti actually........ :blink:

The box mine came in says Metz Best Vice I.

It's worked well for me. Certainly not the greatest, but seems well worth the $30 or so that I paid.

I don't know who my vice is made by. I bought it about 20 years ago. The shop said it is an Orvis vice.

post-4799-1145123376_thumb.jpg