Fly Tying
moder

What did you first start tying?

I think I started tying marabou and bucktail jigs for panfish and bass and walleyes. I also as a kid used to make my own spinners so naturally I dressed the hooks for those. I started tying flies shortly before I even picked up my Dad's old fly rod and caught fish with it. My first flies were woolly worms - buggers weren't really known to us at that time and the internet was hardly a dream. Books from the public library were the main source of info, and most of them were a little dated, even then. I tied all the patterns in them though, and caught lots of fish.

got a saltwater kit with a video of Lefty Kreh so naturally the first fly I learned was a deceiver

I started with Gold ribbed hare's ear nymphs, and though i did occasionally take a break to tie various this or thats, probably tied 2-300 of them before doing much else, in a variety of colors. It was boring, but it sure did build a lot of skills and I dont think ill need to tie more for about 10 years.

Moved to dries after that, and about to take a foray into soft hackled wets.

The Adams:) <--love that fly! Wooly Bugger <--colour i forget, Brassy Nympth. All flies plus others

came from the book in the starter kit so on... Just kept tying till i perfected a few good ones.

Then moved on to the Streamers, then it was bass bugs from deer hair:) Now its mainly big pike flies,

streamers of any kind... deer hair poppers, Muddlers. Now i buy 1 fly then make like 6:) once u get the hang of it its fun to make a fly big, nice or ugly lol an fish get caught on it "Goal Accomplashed"

But ya i still try ? ever type looks worth it even if i dont have the same materials!! i just make ? ever

an mix it up an make my own styles most times:) Seems i have to slow down on tying till i get more

quality materials!

i started on a san juan. just to get the basic motions of tying then started to tie a prince since most of your basic skills are involved in a prince. tails, body, hackle etc.

The first fly I tied with the intent to take it to the water was a wooly bugger. Before that, I fooled around with some simple flies that weren't much more complicated than tying on a small tail of some sort and wrapping a bunch of thread on the hook. Someone earlier here said they'd heard if you can tie a wooly bugger, you can tie anything. I'm not sure I'd go quite that far, but wooly buggers do give you a good introduction to "planning" your fly if you get interested in tying variations or coming up with the next famous fly pattern.

neoFLYte

Austin TX

my first was a yellow and orange wooly bugger dont ask y but i caught alot of brim on it then the knot came undone (half-hitch)

my first fly was a local dry fly pattern called the Borcher's Special... I tied it in 1954....

My first was a San Juan Worm, hahah! After that it was a black and olive Woolly Buggers for a few flies, then the Adams. Still really a newb, that was in 2007. I am obsessed, though, so I have that going for me.

Dick Miller, my 6th grade teacher, had a fly tying/fly fishing club at Lincoln School in Grants Pass, Oregon. Our first fly was a grey hackle yellow and the next was a red ant.

trout flies.I taught myself with the text,Orvis beginners guide to fly tying.My first fly i tied was a wooly bugger.The first fish i ever caught on a fly i tied was on a hares ear.18 inch brown.

shane

p.s.that was 17 years ago and i am still learning.All be it mostly trout flies,but now i rarely fish hackled dries,with the exception of brookie streams.I now mainly fish ,comparaduns,the usual,and small 20-#28 cdc and thread midges,and allotof emerger type flies and recently more soft hackles.Man do i love this sport.

Something completely random. What I mean is, it wasn't a pattern, but rather random materials and just slapped together. After a day of that, I started doing real patterns, but I don't remember what the first one was.