Fly Tying
Sippy

Better order some more hooks!

Yep. He's addicted. Sarah said that he'd sit at that vise all day if she didn't pull him away for a break.

I can see it now.......... smoke.gif

"Uncle Shoe and I are fishing this weekend and we need a dozen Black Stones by tomorrow son." whistling1.gif

I wonder if that's how DanSteelieman got his start? 

I wouldn't worry. People Like DanSteelieman are born. baby.gif biggrin.gif

Cool post!

QUOTE (Shoe @ Aug 18 2004, 01:44 PM)

I wonder if that's how DanSteelieman got his start?  bugeyes.gif

LMAO!!!! biggrin.gif

I guess you can't ground him from tying flies since it's not as bad as being in front of nintendo all day

Pay attention to that little one, when it comes to creativity the youngsters are in a class of their own. Teach the basics and let em run with it.

Listen here MR PARTY COORD.......I'll give you a cricket and tie all right.... Better yet, why don't you ask him to get me some new Winkleman glasses and a couple ribs......

Impressive!

Will- Do you have a category for 5 year-olds in the 2004 contest?

Bamboo

QUOTE (Bamboo @ Aug 19 2004, 01:06 PM)
Will- Do you have a category for 5 year-olds in the 2004 contest?

Yeah but Will dosent want any competition in a category he has a chance to win! laugh.gif boxing.gif

I sense a strong opponent for the rooky of the year title. Good job bud! thumbsup.gif

I second any opinions here who say you should let him atleast learn basics and then let him enter the rooky or most creative fly contest. If you let him tie 5 flies a week, then in a month he will have tied 20, and by the end of November (if you start him now) he will have tied around 70 flies. By then he is sure to have atleast one good fly especialy since you and Shoe can give him pointers when he is done tying fly (but as you probably know, don't push him to tie flies). Any way, enough said, hope you got one that realy likes fly tying and who keeps his interest in it. headbang.gif

That's pretty cool! Do you use anything to cover the hook point up while he's tying or do you just let him "have at it"? My daughter's 5 and I promised her I'd show her how to tie before school started this fall. She'll sit with me for an hour watching. I was going to cut the tip off a couple of hooks to start her out. Maybe I'm being too much of a worry wart????

Lance,

What I do is stick a pencil eraser (as in from a number two pencil) over the hook point.

john

i would either cover them with something, cut it off, or possibly bury it in the vise jaws for younger kids (no offense meant, but especially girls), as bleeding may not be the most satisfying feeling for them. Little guys (especially Sippy's group, LOL), wear blood like an honor! hehe...... I remember when i was a kid, i thought bleeding was cool and normal, go figger, i feel sorry for my parents.

steve

ohmy.gif Its really nice to see children expressing their creativity with something that can produce lasting satisfaction! I never could get my children into flyfishing or tying but they both are artists and musicians and I am proud of them! AWWW...but the prospect of grandchildren one day. My Grandfather was the first to take me fishing, not my pops. Take the boy out whre some eager brim lie and he will surely cathc his first fish on a fly he tied!!! biggrin.gif

thanks for the cheerful submission of your post!

A.A.