Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
novabass

largemouth bass streamers?

I would really like to work on some streamer patterns that would work for largemouth bass.

I see all of these cool streamers out there like Conrad Sculpins and Zoo Cougars. I want to start working on some of these patterns. Since I have mostly largemouth bass near me, I figured I would target them. I'm just not sure what patterns I should start with.

What do you guys recommend I start tying?

I have had really good luck with a very simple streamer pattern -- NOT mine -- that has its origins in tarpon fishing.

I call it "Extreme Prejudice"

Hook 1/0 or 2/0

Thread- Fine Transparent Mono used in sewing

Body- None

Wing- 4 three to five inch Saddle Hackles splayed in a ponounced V behind a ball of thread at the tie-in point, two to a side, tied on about 1//2 inch back of the hook eye

Hackle- 2 Saddle Hackles tied full, standing tall to give some turbulence/wobble in the water

Feather Colors -- Orange is the killer/white tails red hackles work too/chartreuse and black/all white,yellow, and red/try furnace (light brown with black stripe) for smallies and big browns

Fish it with sharp, short, strips and longish pauses between every 2-3 strips. (Hits are not hard to detect.) Try it with a sink tip around dropoffs, weed bed edgs, etc during the day.

I tried adding flash but never saw any difference in the fish response. But some reverse tied flash as a tail would add a little bulk w/o weight and could help in murky water/low light.

Rocco

All the above & then some! :D

I use Clousers, Deceivers & Seaducers the most, just because I've been using them the longest.

Bass are not usually that particular, so most any streamer will work. Many of the flies I use for bass are also the ones I use for Stripers, plus I'll use some of the bigger trout or Steelhead flies like Intruders, or MOAL's.

I like to have some variety in patterns, styles & sizes, and often just pick a fly on a whim. Works well for me & if I find I'm not getting bite's I'll switch to something else. I firmly believe in bigger flies for bigger fish too, so many I'll tie are on 1/0 to 3/0 size hooks.

There's really no right or wrong answer, and depends on what you want or are willing to try. ;)

Pick any streamer in any color in any size from 4 to 6/0 and you stand a good chance of catching LMB on it.

I generally like to use sz 1 to sz 3/0 streamer hooks. My favorite pattern at the moment is rabbit strip tail and palmered cross cut rabbit body. I usually do it in two colors, sometimes a few other materials to make it spiffier, and lead wire or bead heads help fish it below the surface. Super simple and fast to tie.

White woolly buggers as in the post above are also awesome producers for LMB for me. I tie some that I like lots.

Here are a few flies that I was catching fish on the other day, both small pike and 2-3lb LMB in Minnesota lakes.

dscf2427e.jpg

-Murdich's Minnow

-Shenk's white streamer

Harry Murray has several good recommendations for smallmouth bass. Most saltwater flies scaled to fresh or tweaked work really well.

Also check out Shannon's streamer over at flyfishohio.com

-Enrico Puglisi baitfish - congo hair baitfish will work.

Its more a question of how you fish it and when you fish it to catch large mouth

This 7 color EP weedless rattle fly has accounted for 7 bis bass over 20"+ in the last 3 years. By far the first one I put on to use.

th_MarkCameraPentax145.jpg

i finally just got to restocking some yellow and chartruse clousers, and a few half and halfs. boring to tie but they do catch most of the fish for me. i occationally use a wooly bugger or some poppers..

but, as a bass angler, i love to see topwater, so i keep some deer hair and foam gurgler bugs around, usually i use those first to see if i can have the thrill of a topwater explosion... then go to the clousers if the deer hair doesn't work, and finally to wooly buggers if the clousers dont work. if none of those work, i generally give up and grab a bream/crappy fly and just have some fun.

glass rattles are a real attraction to the bass. i try to tie most of my half and halfs with rattles instead of lead eyes, works dually as the weight and the rattle. the only problem ive encoutered is getting hung up with the half and halfs because they dont ride point up like clousers.

as far as different streamers, i dont think the pattern should matter much for bass, mostly a fishers preference. i think they look more to the size and how annoying the fly you throw out there is.

A lot of time the old standbys do much better then a most of the newer patterns out so you should always have them in your boxes. No such thing as boring ties tho. :))

My current "go to" is my Ba-Donk-A-Zonk in orange, olive, and black. Basicly a leech-like Zonker pattern, you can tie a whole hoard of them in no time and they are great for wary bass!:ph34r:

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf