Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

DECEMBER flies

A Pat Cohen inspired fly

B) A Punk Rocker Variation that I cranked out today B)

Bruce,

When do you put in the peacock herl dorsal fin and the pectoral fins. After the deer hair is trimmed? Glued in?

Or is the dorsal fin tied in at the tail only, then deer hair is packed and trimmed, then it is pulled over the trimmed deer hair and tie at the hook eye? The pectoral fins aren't tied while packing the deer hair , then trimmed around are they??

A Pat Cohen inspired fly

B) A Punk Rocker Variation that I cranked out today B)

Bruce,

When do you put in the peacock herl dorsal fin and the pectoral fins. After the deer hair is trimmed? Glued in?

Or is the dorsal fin tied in at the tail only, then deer hair is packed and trimmed, then it is pulled over the trimmed deer hair and tie at the hook eye? The pectoral fins aren't tied while packing the deer hair , then trimmed around are they??

Thanks for the good question. Everything is glued in afterwards, but there is no reason you couldn't attach the peacock sword feather at the base and pull it over when trimming was completed, but you would still have glue in up front. Again this is being done by some but I glue all "extras when fly has been completed

Note to self, coffee and setting BM wings is not good, shakey stuff.

Sorry messy heads as my scissors are about as effective as those plastic ones you get at school in grade 1 so they don't actually cut butt ends, more like grab and pull them. ^$#^%$#

post-29540-0-73934300-1356560799_thumb.jpg

And it is really hard to do BM wings on smaller sizes like a 7.

OK, so maybe I have too much free time but with this terrible weather (blowing snow), I thought I'd tie another Punk Rocker, so for your viewing entertainment B)

Bruce

post-4571-0-25923400-1356567999_thumb.jpg

Make one for me too! i am going to troll it for Mahi.

Nice tube too from Curtis, that thing is money.

ha you would have to get a super wide gap hook just to be able to use it. Check out Pat Cohen's stuff, not that Bruce's stuff isn't fantastic, but Pat Cohen sales these flies, I don't know how these guys pack the deer hair so tight

Note to self, coffee and setting BM wings is not good, shakey stuff.

Sorry messy heads as my scissors are about as effective as those plastic ones you get at school in grade 1 so they don't actually cut butt ends, more like grab and pull them. ^$#^%$#

And it is really hard to do BM wings on smaller sizes like a 7.

Love the spey hackle on these. What did you use Jam'? Looks like some blue guinea in there too! I know you feel about the scissors. I am tough on mine and after a few swearing fits when I cant cut I buy new ones lol.

PS. Its not the coffee. Its the whiskey in your coffee that makes it tough :huh:

I've been messing with some bigger baitfish patterns on tubes. This is a baby Brown that hopes to be a meal for a bigger Brown this spring...

That is one awesome fly my friend. Impressive.

OK, so maybe I have too much free time but with this terrible weather (blowing snow), I thought I'd tie another Punk Rocker, so for your viewing entertainment B)

Bruce

Bruce. Those are true works of art.