Fly Tying
rolsen

JANUARY flies

ARGH JUST MANAGED TO BREAK MY VISE!!!!!!

And breath...

Not too handy.

Not in the slightest but about right for me lol.

Gonna wait for work to pick up, then I might get a HMH Spartan. Been considering one of the Snowbee vises too

I will do. See if I can find a UK dealer.

I think I've managed a fix using duct tape and solder. Don't trust it to take much pressure though lol

Sweet fly Kirk, is that one with the lead?

Umm tried an ackroyd style fly, first time ever as you can see some subs have been made like pink - pretty messy 1st effort but it is a very buggy fly whoa! Maybe i call it a Whackroyd.

size #5

P1192084_zpsad5143d0.jpg

size #1.5 gold AJ

P1192081_zps704fd334.jpg

Wings P1192090_zpsb493d978.jpg

Then more winters hope type flies #5

P1192088_zpse8f94d92.jpg

And some surf candies.

P1192079_zpse7b07757.jpg

For those asking about my extended body fly, My technique was to take a small needle and put it in the vise tying my materials onto the needle. Im almost certain its impossible to tye a fly with techniques i use without a needle.

for the body I would take some elk hair and tie it in somewhere near the butts, at a point where the elk hair extends far enough out to match the size of a mayflys body and tail, also making sure I had a long thread tag. Then I would warp the thread up the elk hair with the tag also getting toyed down. Once at the appropriate length for the body, I reversed the process and back down to the butts, once again bring the tag with me. tye of and your base is done.

As for the dubbing, polypropylene dubbing is long and stringy and using a rotary vise, can be dubbed with out thread to make the body. Douse the body in head cement and let dry. Now the body is complete. Pull on tag to curve the body.

Jam, thanks. You think my fly is sweet - I wish it was half as sweet as your ties; you've got mad skills!

I didn't put any lead nor did I compress the foam head but I did use a longer shank hook. I wanted it to be more of a surface walker.

Kirk

Jam, thanks. You think my fly is sweet - I wish it was half as sweet as your ties; you've got mad skills!

I didn't put any lead nor did I compress the foam head but I did use a longer shank hook. I wanted it to be more of a surface walker.

Kirk

Love the way you make salty flies look so finished, takes some talent to do that! Crazy stuff, one of my friends in Aus was just asking me for a fly Exactly what you have done for Mulloway, another species of drum.