Fly Tying
rolsen

JANUARY flies

@Jam. Man you have had some awesome sh#$ coming off the vise lately.

@Kirk. As usual..stellar.

@Kahau. Very nice classics there.

Here is one of my favorites to tie (lately). Learned the original style in a video from Capt. Mel Simpson. Now ive just run with it and continue to tie them up in different variations.

SAM_0651_zps44093545.jpg

Sweet tie. Did you leave space near the eye in order to accomodate some sort of knot for the leader?

Of course I did! happy.png lol

In reality, my proportions were a bit off! Started it a little to far back on the hook shank. This is on a SC15 gama hook which is a little long for my liking, but its what I had. For Tarpon I prefer the SC17 which is a short shank heavy hook!

Suspendedbuzzer_zps4f903037.jpg

I used foam to make a suspended/emerging buzzer. pretty pleased with it biggrin.png

Next time I tie some up, I might use antron yarn to make a trailing shuck

Hey Chefben, with the tarpon flatwing is it 2 pairs of guinea or just 1? Might have to try it maybe with a collar of EP brush :)

They are pretty easy to tie, thanks to Davie McPhail's video on Youtube.

Gonna try a few different shades but I need some larger scud hooks as well. Size 14 would be the smallest I think I can tie of that pattern and the largest I have is size 12. Would love to tie some on a size 10.

Hey Chefben, with the tarpon flatwing is it 2 pairs of guinea or just 1? Might have to try it maybe with a collar of EP brush smile.png

Its a pair of black hen feathers (one on each side) then a pair of guniea (one on each side). Ive done a couple with finn raccoon collars that came out awesome too! I just ordered some good hen back in a variety of bright colors so be ready for some colorful stuff lol tongue.png

Ahh! Yeah i know what you mean about the finn raccoon, last few weeks i only just picked up some and it is a very very mobile material, i had no idea they were so soft but i am highly impressed with it. Might try some in a split thread and see what happens.

Golden Pheasant - yeah, wing is a bit too long, but it was very hard to find suitable tippet for this one sad.png

post-46140-0-24675700-1358799391_thumb.jpg

good grief that is neat rolsen!!!

First ones an intruder tied with summer largemouth fishing in mind..

second is a foam hopper pattern that i use on my beloved brook trout, i can never have enough hoppers!

post-45335-0-52393100-1358801011_thumb.jpg

post-45335-0-64834600-1358801085_thumb.jpg