Fly Tying
Sur3-Shot

Hunting and gathering

If i have a powerful airrifle and some pellets wat animals would give me the bestmatterial?

I live in the woods so animals aren't hard to find. I just don't know wats best for flys.

The pic is my Big Cat from gamo

post-46620-0-62488100-1358498311_thumb.jpg

Everything furry, hairy and feathered is good material. Birds and thin skin mammals easier to cure than fatter stuff.

Carefully read your state hunting laws and make sure you abide by them. In some states (Like Pennsylvania, where we still live in the 1600's) air rifles are illegal to shoot game with, even squirrels and rabbits. I've got a couple rifles just like yours, and they are indeed powerful magnum spring piston guns. Before trying to shoot any game I would suggest getting VERY good at shooting the rifle--- spring piston air guns DO NOT shoot like firearms, and different techniques usually are needed to shoot them accurately, and you might need to weed through many different types of pelllets to find one that shoots accurately enough to hunt with. You owe it to the animals to make every shot count. Do a web search on the "Artillery Hold" method of shooting spring piston air guns. Also check out the "Airgun University" pages on PyramydAir.com. Above all, be SAFE and don't treat your air rifle as a toy.

add muskrat, groundhog, and beaver to the useable pelts list. Ferile housecats that destroy birds etc should be there just because.

1B

I have been away from air rifles for a while but some of them will shoot almost as hard as a .22 so do be careful. I have a spring gun that is very accuarate but it too heavy to tote around in the woods and the scope is quite bulky as well. It will shoot the eyes out of a squirrel at 30yds if you are good enough. This gun is much better than I am.

I haven't shot in a while (at an animal). But even a .177 air rifle will take out a rabbit. Make sure you get some target time in so you can get a clean kill. Before I started tying I got pigeons squirrels (which are a lot tougher than they look), rabbits, starlings, magpies etc.

I don't know where you live, but like mensioned above, watch what you shoot. Some of those furry animals have seasons, can't shoot any time of year. Also, some furry animals require a fur bearer harvest permit, like the beaver. One ticket from a ranger can buy alot of materials at the shop. The pellet gun may not be legal to use for alot of game. The only birds I know of would be Starlings and English House sparrows. Making a call to your local Wild Life and Parks is an easy thing to do. Can save you alot of money too.

if legal for air rifle use and in season I havest the following for tying materials

-grey squirrel

-red/pin squirrel

-fox squirrel

-turkey

-pheasant

-grouse

some of my friends trap coons, fox, and coyote as well

Make sure you have enough gun to ethically put down your game as well.

Roadkilled pheasants can yield some nice tail feathers...useful for many MANY patterns. In my hiking I have also found shed goose feathers, mallard feathers near ponds, turkey tail feathers...the list goes on and on. Do you do laundry???? There is some good dubbing in your drier filter called LINT...comes in a myriad of colors as long as you like GREY.

I believe, in my state at least, songbirds are illegal to kill, or even the feathers you may find, are illegal to posses. As said, check with Your DNR, they should be able to tell you. (Around here, Starlings are fair game anytime)

If I was into the natural furs, I can't think of an easier way than to acquire them than a box spring trap. I put one in my garden when the varmints start to plunder the tomatoes for some control, but the results sometimes can be too much. I recall the first time I set one, I had squirrels, raccoon and skunk the first three days, plus a red fox at the trap looking for a free meal when one of the animals got boxed.

Thing is that this is one of those "set it and forget it" type of things. I smear some Skippy on a paper towel, load the trap and check on it the next morning when I retrieve the newspaper. I practiced catch and release with the traps because I have enough of that stuff to last a lifetime, so if you need to harvest the varmints I'll leave how they are dispatched to your imagination.
Harbor Freight has these traps for cheap. I consider 10 yards a pretty good shot with an air gun....your not going to get that close to most of these critters.
image_15248.jpg

I believe, in my state at least, songbirds are illegal to kill, or even the feathers you may find, are illegal to posses. As said, check with Your DNR, they should be able to tell you. (Around here, Starlings are fair game anytime)

Chase has just about covered it. Add the aforementioned house sparrow and the feral pigeon to the list, and you have the complete list of birds NOT covered by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act. This ACT makes it illegal to even pick up molted feathers of all other birds, except those species for which there is a legal hunting season; and then it is illegal unless it is during the legal 'open' season.