Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

dubbing garment fur

Hi, I am trying to dub some fur from a garment but I can't get it to stay on the thread. I think it is mink, it is very soft. when these garments are made do they remove the guard hairs. I have seen them cheap at rummage sales but haven't got them because I wouldn't know how to use them or if they are the right kind of fur

I'm probably the person who would use that stuff...I'm fairly sure I have actually in the past.

I raid the Dryer for Lint, use dyed Rabbit skins from the craft store, pretty much anything goes with me when it comes to it becoming Dubbing material. I'll mix different types together, use a coffee grinder to chop it up a bit, then add in deer hair, pet hair, or whatever I have available to get the combination of color and texture I want. I've made some seriously Ugly Nymphs before...they caught fish.

I do know now as I learn more that some Fly Recipes require certain types(Hare's Ear,Mink, etc.) if the goal is to tie a Traditional Fly you'd have to look up what it requires. I'm definitely not a "Traditionalist", not that there is anything wrong with that, because I completely respect people who can do that to the letter of the Flies Recipe consistently. While I try my best to imitate other flies and design my own my flies are my creations with bits and pieces of different materials...if they catch fish I tie them again the same way with the same materials. For me it's a constantly evolving and completely consuming passion. Some day that may turn more Traditional but for now anything goes.

I say Try It...What can happen other than you make something of your own creation...that is never a bad thing!!!

As rolsen said try lightly waxing your thread , if that doesn't work for you then go the dubbing loop route. When I actually lived where there were trout and close by (high schools days ), I used a lot of thrift store fur collars to tie including mink and fitch fur. It made good dubbing for mayfly nymphs etc. and all I cared about was if the color was close to what I was tying. I caught plenty of fish with those flies and still use fur from collars , pieces of coats and the occasional section of an old pelt I got cheap because it was starting to fall apart. I use an old coffee grinder for blending into dubbing , mixing types and colors to see what I get including mixing it with store bought dubbing . Now a days I fish for smallmouth and carp so I will even cut strips of the garment fur to make make larger strip nymphs, crazy carpers and such. Use your imagination , anything goes so long as the fish fall for it. I have enough mink dubbing left to last the rest of my life , lol. Now if the rivers and creeks would clear up so I can actually go fishing!

Yep......dubbing loop. Anything will work in a dubbing loop.

Dubbing loop, paint a little head cement on it ... everything sticks to it, then it's glued in place after you've wrapped it.

Hi KOKOEK9,

They don't remove the guard hairs, but on some clothing pieces they will trim the ends of them off so all of the hairs are the same length.

Regards,

Mark

They don't remove the guard hairs, but on some clothing pieces they will trim the ends of them off so all of the hairs are the same length.

Actually, that depends. Guards hairs are plucked on some types of fur garments, and sheared on others. On some, the guard hairs are left intact. All depends on the type of fur & how the furrier wishes the end result to look. I've seen some American Opossum pelts that had the guard hairs plucked, and it made a beautiful affect, like the tip dyeing process we see now with rabbit strips, only it's natural! smile.png

Mink is a short haired fur, so is not usually sheared. It has a lot of guard hairs generally. Mink guard hairs are also fairly hard, like squirrel hair, and does not compress easily. It's very possible what you think is mink, could be dyed muskrat. Both furs are similar.

Mink & muskrat both are excellent dubbing material, and I agree with the others, try either a loop or the split thread technique to trap the hairs.

thanks for your advice, I have some patches of fur that was given to me, some are fur squares some are from garments and others are just pieces if I posted pictures could you quys identify them. I tried on ebay and they all look alike to me. I'll try the wax, how do you do a dubbing loop

Hi, I tried the wax, will probably work can't do the dubbing loop I can get the dubbing to twist around the thread it just comes right of. I want to be able to do a simple dubbing noodle as in the videos on UTUBE, simple as pie, if you are a professional tier.

Use a very small amount of the fur when you are trying to make your noodle. If you get too much and try to dub it then it usually don't work very well. Start with a very small pinch and twist it onto your waxed thread and then add very small amounts to build it up to the desired thickness. Be sure that the hair, or dubbing, is fluffy and not packed together when you try to dub with it. You can make a dubbing noodle to wrap the abdomen of a nymph and then use a dubbing loop with the same hair to create the thorax area and come out with a very effective fly and only use one material for the entire process. With a little practice you will be dubbing your flies like a pro. I have problems sometimes if my fingers are rough from work or from fishing in the winter because the hair tends to catch on the rough skin, but a little fine sandpaper or lotion usually cures the problem. Also, dry fingers and unwaxed thread is a dubbing nightmare for me but a bit of dubbing wax or moist finger tips seems to help a bunch. Dubbing loops look like they are complicated but they really aren't at all and you get a very spikey or buggy effect with them. I'm far from being a pro tier, I have just practiced and played a lot over the years.

Good Luck,

Tony

You have received some really good tips. Use very small amounts of fur and kind of tease it out a little bit before you try to apply it to the thread. I usually just moisten my fingertips to dub, but for some difficult-to-dub furs, I will use wax on the thread. Also, be sure you are always twisting the dubbing in the same direction. Don't lose hope, keep practicing and you will get it. Remember, a little dubbing goes a long way.

Hi, thanks for the advice, could it be the dubbing. the fur I am using is from a garment, it is very fine and soft. I cut it up into shot pieces and finger blended it. But when I wind i on the thread it make a really nice noodle trouble is it is not around the tread it hangs parallel to the thread