Fly Tying
dontheo

Fly Dressing (Floatant)

What type of fly dressing (floatant) does everyone use out there? I have been using "scotchguard" at the bench and just retie on a new fly if it gets slimmy or water logged. Does anyone have any home made recipes? I saw a white gas and parafin a while ago but it didn't give mixing porportions. I was assuming that by white gas they were talking about unleaded way back when Amaco only carried it.

Ted

I use a Samadou and when that quits I put gink on. It will cost you more to buy gas and parafin then a bottle of Gink cost.

Frogs Fanny is pretty good stuff...it,s a dessicant....Excellent for cdc just brush it through the fibres and away you goTtreat yourself to a piece of real amadou to dry your wet or slimed fly prior to treating with floatant of any kind....it is amazing stuff.Loon aquel is a good gel floatant as well....

Hey guys . I use thompson water seal ,man you can get lot from 1quart and a small spray bottle . also at the tying bench just drop them in after tying a few drys make sure your head cement is dry. me no iam not cheap wink.gif tight lines MIKE

White gas and paraphin bugeyes.gif !!?? Sounds a little risky for me. I've been using Gink for several years now and love it. I don't treat my dries at the bench, just on the stream as needed.

Jim

Kevin gaves us a demo of Frog's Fanny and man that stuff is amazing. You can dunk a fly under water and pull it back out and it still looks completely dry blink.gif

You could probably float a bead head with that stuff!

I use something called Peterson's Liquid Cork. Unfortunately, I hadn't seen it available lately and am about to run out. Very effective plus it works on CDC.

Bamboo

You wil find Frogs Fanny at nearly any decent fly store...I took some home to Scotland for some of my buddies,they loved it!!! Only thing is, a fanny in Scotland is the name given to a ladies most intimate private parts....i can still here them laughing!!!!

A friend of mind treated a beadhead nymph with frogs fanny, put it in a glass. At the end of the day it was still floating. im sold on the stuff.

QUOTE (usual suspect @ Jan 21 2005, 09:41 AM)
a fanny in Scotland is the name given to a ladies most intimate private parts....i can still here them laughing!!!!

laugh.gif I can just see your buddies' faces when you told them you got some frog fanny while in the states.... blink.gif bugeyes.gif

cheers.gif

Here is a good one for you guys. Anti foam agent.

At the grocery store you will see by the rug doctor machines antifoaming agent to put in the machine.

Guess what, that is the same stuff we call dry fly flotant.

The antifoarming agent is a slica based solution that floats on top of water.

Check it out, make a glass of soapy water and add a drop of your gunk or other silica based fly floatant. The foam goes away.

Instead of a couple bucks an ounce you can get it for a couple of bucks a quart.

Robert