Fly Tying
mybadhabit

Danvise jaws

I just received a new set of Danvise jaws and they are not the same as the original set I had for the vise. My original set of jaws started to curl at the tip where the hook is positioned and could no longer hold hooks smaller than a size #10 or #12. I thought the jaws would be made from tempered steel and therefore not bend or become misshaped, but I was wrong, after only a few hundred flies the jaws were no longer usable for many hook sizes. Which makes me wonder about the product itself, as an entry level device I think it should last much longer than it did. I tie on sizes 10-18 most often and I wondered if any one else has had this problem with a Danvise.

Thanks for you responses

Blane

I had the same problem with my Danvice. Bought replacement jaws last year but they started to curl also. I like the Danvice, but this problem is tiresome and expensive.

Bought a new vice about two weeks ago so the Danvice is shelved.

Jaws are almost always the first part to develop problems on vises, but one does seem to read about problems with the Danvise more than any other these days. I'd contact Al Beatty (hopefully he's still the US rep.) and see if there's anything he can do...or go out and get a Peak, Renzetti, Dyna-King, HMH, etc., and chock this one up to experience, as eisik did...

The Danvise seems to be purchased by new tyers and less experienced tyers. Combine lack of experience with the higher leverage of the Danvise cam and with jaws that aren't "as hard" as most quality vise jaws, and you've got the recipe for many deformed jaws. Your replacement jaw tips probably don't have as narrow of a profile as that of the original jaws, which should (all things equal) make the tips a bit more durable. Not too long ago, it seemed the price of a Danvise was about half that of other quality rotary vises. But today, the price of the vise, the extension (which you may want) and one replacement jaw (which you'll probably need) will set you back the same as a Peak or a Traveler. Still, it's a vise that some people enjoy and praise.

Edit: I hope I didn't imply that the Danvise is just a beginner vise. That wasn't my intent.

Edited by Bugsy

I bought a Danvise about 4yrs ago, then had to replace the Jaws about 6 months later. The tips of the jaws started to flare out and wouldn't hold the hook properly. Back then you could order the Jaw set directly from Al Beatty's website which they propely replaced. Then I found out the correct way to adjust the jaw before flipping that cam lever with the adjuster screw along side the jaw. Once you get that right the jaws will last a long time. I've been using mine now for about 3 yrs now without any problems. I believe the jaw set comes with these instructions too. Atleast they use too.

Mike

mybadhabit,

The Danvise is a great entry level vise and the jaws hold up fairly well but hook placement is critical. They aren't very forgiving. Check out this video on the Renzetti YouTube Channel which shows proper hook placement.

The placement of the hook in relation to the tips of the jaws is the same on Danvise or Renzetti or Regal for that matter. Regal always got a lot of complaints about hooks "flying across the room" and the jaw chipping. The vise wasn't the problem the hook placement was the problem and Regal jaws being strong and hardened like they are snapped shut (spring loaded) and chipped. They started an education campaign and enclosed brochures with their vises - the amount of returns dropped dramatically.

When I sold a Danvise at my shop I cautioned people about tying on anything larger than say a size two freshwater hook. You certainly can go larger in hook size but you have to set the hook deep in the jaws.

I hope the video helps. Unless you have a lemon vise the Danvise jaws you have should last years.

As has been alluded to by several people already. The Danvise is a bit different from other vises.

Not only is hook placement critical. But how hard you ratchet down with the screw before throwing

the cam is important. If you have tightened the screw enough such that it takes pressure to throw

the cam, you need to back off the screw a bit. The ratio between the tightness after the cam is

thrown is far greater with the Danvise than with other cam vises. . . like 10/1 instead of 2/1. That

may be a bit of an exaggeration. But there is a significant difference.

I've been using my Danvise since 2000 and don't have the problem with the jaws warping

at the tip. It is the only vise I've ever owned.

I use it to hold the 1/8" brass rods while I tie on the alligator clips for my display board. So it can

handle any hook I'll ever use.

I brought my first Danvise back in 1999 or 2000. I just replaced it, with another Danvise, about two years ago. The jaws did eventually did deform, which is the reason I replaced it. Over the years the original handled hooks from size 32 up to 8/0. But when I replaced it, it was having trouble handling the smaller hooks. I was a bit disappointed with the new one. With the original I was able to change the jaws from sitting at an angle to sitting straight, much easier to tie large flies on. With the new one I wasn't able to do this. Ended up tapping and drilling a new hole so I was able to do this with the new one. New one still cost me only $80. It's ugly but it works.

i think that the quality of the jaws may differ from one vice to another. I teach a class where som off my students use Danvice, and they worked fine, so I bought one, but after a few months I had problems with the jaws.

The main problem is the way you place the hook, but second you may have a set off weak jaws, and therefore you need to replace them through your supplier.

I still use my Danvice, but i just bought a new Regal Rotating vice to deal with more delicate hooks.

Best regards

Ostfyn

I have been using my Danvise for almost ten + years and the jaws are holding up great. I am careful with hook placement and tension. Not that anyone taught me that.. It just works better that way...the correct seating and tension. Hopefully with correct use I can get another decade out of it.

Wallace

I had the same issue with mine. I loved the vise, it served me well, but the jaws wore out fast. After the 2nd set started to go bad, I bought an HMH and don't plan on ever buying another vise. It's made to last for life. One thing about the Danvise that helped make the jaws last for me the 2nd time (a little longer) was to make sure to seat the hook deeper in the jaws. If I put the hook way out in the tip of the jaws I always did more damage to them.

I had to replace my jaws after a few years, but it was my fault.

Need to watch the screw adjustment before placing the hook in and moving the lever.

I put way to much pressure on with many hooks.

The jaws still let me tie several thousand flies with it.

Rick

Yeah, adjusting the jaws on the Danvise can be touchy.

I put the hook in the vise, and start to close the lever. I'm looking for the jaws to start grabbing the hook when the lever is about half or 3/4 closed. If it grabs the hook before half way, open up the jaws a bit and try again.

I've tied several thousand flies (size #2-26) on my Danvise, and the jaws are still in great shape.