Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
5shot

Can you help me identify this fly pattern?

Pretty basic, but I was curious to know what it is called. On his web site he refers to is as "Old Mexico", but I find no reference to that name anywhere else.

Mexican%20Restaurantweb.jpg

Thanks

Since you know the web site, why don't you ask them?

Any way to get a pic of the actual fly? Looks to be articulated and tired with buck tail and I don't know what. Maybe some saddles in there as well or marabou. Hard as heck to tell when it's all wadded up and soaking wet like that.

Steve

Any way to get a pic of the actual fly? Looks to be articulated and tired with buck tail and I don't know what. Maybe some saddles in there as well or marabou. Hard as heck to tell when it's all wadded up and soaking wet like that.

Steve

it looks like just a big chartreuse and yellow articulated bucktail. Nothing special.

I couldn't find a pic of it other than in the mouth of that Brown. It is articulated and I think the fish is actually hooked by the one in it's mouth. There is a pic of a similar fly on the same website that shows 2 hooks being used.

webAlex21.JPG

I hope to hear back from the web site, but if not, I am just going to take a crack at it and see what happens. As has been mentioned, it isn't anything really special.

It looks like long hair or fiber. Tied on with the length of hair forward of the tie in. Then doubled back onto the hook and tied in. Might be some weight under it. Pretty much what Joel said.

That's an awful lot a hook for trout. Looks like a ss saltwater hook.

Yeah...I'm not going quite that large. Although the Browns have run over 20lbs where we are going.

its a double deceiver.

very popular fly with Kelly neuman here in michigan.

Michael Schmidt of ACF ties these.

some of the biggest browns I have ever caught were on this fly.

Check out Fly fishing the Ozarks on youtube. They have a video on tying Mike Schmidt's Double Deceiver.