Fly Tying

Can you use sewing thread to tie flies? I have access to a lot of sewing thread and wandering if I can tie with it.

Jack, I've been tying off and on for a couple of decades. I bought my first spool of "fly tying thread" last year.

I tie most of my flies with sewing thread (polyester ... not cotton). But most of my flies are hook size 12 and larger. At sizes 10 and 12, it's sometimes hard to keep proportionally small, with sewing thread.

So, if you're tying for bream, bass and other fish that regularly take larger prey, sewing thread is fine. If you're tying those tiny flies for ;fish that take midges and stuff, you might want to have some thinner threads available.

I think it's fine for large flies, but it's too big (my opinion) for small flies. I've never tried it except on a Wooly Bugger, size 8, where it works just fine. As Mike said, not cotton, which will rot.

I tend to go as small thread as I can easily get, 70 denier, and some occasionally smaller. But not much smaller diameter, 8/0 does it for me.

There are LOTS of sewing threads that you CAN use, but there are drawbacks you will soon discover with sewing threads. Most sewing threads are two or three strands that are then twisted together. These are fine for larger flies, but quickly build up more bulk than you want in smaller flies. Flies larger than size 12 is where I usually switch to lighter threads.

Most (not all,) sewing thread is "texturized," that means it is fuzzy which makes it a problem when finishing off smooth looking heads. Your heads may not look as nice, but the fish won't care.

It would be best to use only synthetic threads, and work on larger patterns. When you need to or want to tie smaller patterns, then you can still find "sewing" threads that will do the job as well as "tying" thread. These threads are not generally available in sewing shops, or craft stores, but there are some on Amazon.

These are some very good sewing threads you can purchase for tying even the smallest of patterns. Gutermann Skala thread comes in several sizes and make excellent tying thread. Gutermann sewing threads are available direct from Oshman Brothers (the American distributor,) but there is a minimum order of $25.00

Gutermann Skala 200 has a TEX size rating of 15 (similar to a denier of 135,) and is $16.00 for 11,000 yards that works out to be about 15 cents per hundred yards.

Gutermann Skala 240 has a TEX size of 12 (or a denier of 108,) at 17.50 for 11,000 yards is only 16 cents a 100 yard spool.

Gutermann Skala 360 has a TEX size of 8 (or denier of 72,) and is only 3.25 for 1100 yards or 30 cents a 100 yard spool.

These threads are all multi filament poly threads that perform much the same way as "fly tying" thread. They can be split, and will lay flat and are quite fine enough for most needs. These threads are much different from what one would usually find in sewing and craft shops. I have been using these for quite a while, and the cost is about 10% of a typical fly tying thread. Since they look and preform like "fly tying" threads I find no reason to spend upwards of $3.00 per hundred yards.

These threads all come on large cones (not standard size spools,) so you will have to re-spool the thread onto spools that fit you bobbin. Since I re-spool all my thread anyway to fit my auto bobbin, its not a problem for me.

One Gutermann thread that I can find in Joann Fabrics is Bulk Nylon. This thread is 2 or 3 times heavier than all the Skala threads, and I use it only on hooks larger than size 8. It is a multi strand thread that will lay flat, and is easily split to insert dubbing or other materials when using a "split thread" technique.

While these threads can all be ordered in many colors, I only use white. Any other colors I want can be applied with a permanent marker.

For someone starting out, purchasing a single 11,000 yard spool of thread could be a lifetime supply. It makes 110 hundred yard spools.

...which, if you have to mail order the thread anyway, why not get fly tying thread?

Like the others, I've used standard sewing thread on larger flies. It works fine, even if it isn't as pretty. Cotton coated polyester is the most common type of sewing thread. It will build fast, and look fuzzy. If you are making a bulky, fuzzy looking fly (like a size 4 woolybugger) what does it matter if you add a bit of extra fuzz to it?

These are some very good sewing threads you can purchase for tying even the smallest of patterns. Gutermann Skala thread comes in several sizes and make excellent tying thread. Gutermann sewing threads are available direct from Oshman Brothers (the American distributor,) but there is a minimum order of $25.00

Gutermann Skala 200 has a TEX size rating of 15 (similar to a denier of 135,) and is $16.00 for 11,000 yards that works out to be about 15 cents per hundred yards.

Gutermann Skala 240 has a TEX size of 12 (or a denier of 108,) at 17.50 for 11,000 yards is only 16 cents a 100 yard spool.

Gutermann Skala 360 has a TEX size of 8 (or denier of 72,) and is only 3.25 for 1100 yards or 30 cents a 100 yard spool.

These threads all come on large cones (not standard size spools,) so you will have to re-spool the thread onto spools that fit you bobbin. Since I re-spool all my thread anyway to fit my auto bobbin, its not a problem for me.

One Gutermann thread that I can find in Joann Fabrics is Bulk Nylon. This thread is 2 or 3 times heavier than all the Skala threads, and I use it only on hooks larger than size 8. It is a multi strand thread that will lay flat, and is easily split to insert dubbing or other materials when using a "split thread" technique.

While these threads can all be ordered in many colors, I only use white. Any other colors I want can be applied with a permanent marker.

For someone starting out, purchasing a single 11,000 yard spool of thread could be a lifetime supply. It makes 110 hundred yard spools.

is this not a sticky somewhere yet? thnx for reposting.

Unless you robbed a sewing shop or you mother, the cost is the same. My wife quilts. She could never complain about the cost of fly tying thread. Cheap cotton is cheaper than fly tying thread, but good nylon and polester and silk sewing thread is more money.

As stated here previously, some of the sewing thread goes on like rope. The tying thread flattens.

Some sort of finish knot is almost always needed.  You can learn to make a Whip finish from many sites on Utube. You can also finish off with a half hitch and a tiny drop of super glue.  

Just for clarification:  I I have been using Gutermann Skala threads for well over 25 years.  I used to get mine from Oshman, Brothers but now use Wawak.  The cost for these spools is expensive, but when you breakdown the cost with the yards, you will find that a 100 yard spool is less than 25 cents.  One other thread that is use for salt water patterns, or other LARGE flies is Gutermann Bulky Nylon, which I get at Joann Fabrics.  As I said, I use only white thread and color heads with a marker when necessary.   

Got to have knots.  I'm not aware of any thread that doesn't require a knot, but a half hitch or three is easy to accomplish .  There are some advanced tying techniques that you can do with super glue and small flies,  size 20 and smaller, but generally speaking a knot is the thing to do.

Thread is the cheapest material for fly tying I know of.  It can be thin (GSP) and strong or not so thin and pretty strong.  I can't imagine tying a fly using the sewing thread I'm thinking of.  It's hawser-like and not isn't made for torquing down on the hook. Then, too, I wouldn't use fly tying thread for sewing, which I only do occasionally (I live alone).  I say this knowing that some good tyers here use it just not me.

If I had to choose a thread and only one it would be a 70 denier in black.  That's 8/0, but 6/0 is equally as good just not as small.  

I’ve not known it used for fly tying but wonder thread is what is used in the bait world to tie up spawn sacs and chicken livers. It usually comes on a card. You wrap it around a number of times and pull tight with no knot needed. Personally, I would doubt it’s holding ability on a fly. 

Since I'm a saltwater tyer who rarely uses hooks smaller than #6 (almost never..) I've been able to use a great variety of "tying threads over many many years - some of them not thread at all... The smallest actual tying thread I use is 3/0 monocord (and that's for bonefish flies and other bugs in very small sizes - for the salt that is...).  I've also used rod wrapping thread in size A, actual re-cycled monofilament in 4, 6, and 8lb sizes as well as even heavier mono in place of V-rib or Swannundaze for making transparent bodies on a few minnow patterns... Here's a pic or two with non-traditional "tying threads".... 

o2tBd7w.jpg

My version of Flip Pallot's famous Prince of Tides pattern in size 1/0 --- this one has the body wrapped in clear V-rib, but I've also done it with 15lb re-cycled monofilament as well... wrapped over two colors of Flashabou... The head on this bug, like many other patterns I do - is flat waxed nylon by Danville (210 denier size)...

lDafNTM.jpg

favorite old bonefish flies in size #4... the fly on the bottom left was tied up with re-cycled 4lb monofilament... not exactly a standard fly-tying thread... 

When I need a bit of mono for tying I simply use empty fly tying thread spools to load up a spool or two - before stripping the rest of the old line off of the reel that needs new line... 4lb mono also works well when tying up bucktail jigs when you want the actual tail colors to show through the thread wraps... 

The only "sewing" thread I use for tying flies is the clear polyester thread you can pick up in the sewing section of most craft stores.  You can get a 440 yard spool for under $3.  I use it mostly for bait fish, streamers and clousers where I want the two colors to show through.

352317277_beadsilverside.jpg.be140d1071de465eb5d3e0ef1787699c.jpg

Shad_bunker.thumb.jpg.2bc587bb9464bd0d1f19a2cf4fece3aa.jpg

DSCF1054.thumb.JPG.31b109ef7e0a2f2be7043f16fa412e17.JPG

This is what the spool looks like compared to a regular spool of thread.

211472337_BobbinsandThread(2).jpg.015c88ae8a5117734acf7033f8122953.jpg