Fly Tying
flytire

November Flies from the Vise

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Retro baby craw

It's starting to warm up here so the yabbies will be on the move soon

Nice ties retro! Your lucky! In our northern parts our yabbies are getting ready to dig in soon. Here are a couple of yabbies I crafted from felt 2mm. The stuff that you put under chair and table legs to keep from scratching the hardwood floors. Kinda gives the bugs a fuzzy look. I went with fox squirrel for the claws and a little dubbing underneath and some soft hackle for legs. The weight runs the length of the tail and if I need more I go with a sink tip or a split shot. Gotta love spring yabbie hopping! Good luck to you.

PB050085_zpsfj1mo9m2.jpg

Man the photos are GREAT on many of these flies. Some of you must have a small fortune tied up in photography equipment! Very well done indeed!!!

like so many things, it's not how expensive the gear, it's how you use it LOL ! Most of today's digital point and shoot cameras with a macro function on them are pretty darned good, it's how you use light that really matters and how you stabilize the camera.. It's nice to have an SLR with true macro lens of course but for web posting you really don't need it. The larger sensor in them is more suited to larger print enlargement than low pixel count web photos.

Have to agree. In another life I shot Hassy, Canon and Sinar. I am now using a point and shoot that cost me $35 used off of Ebay.

I have all sorts of light banks and powerful studio flashes. Instead I am using a couple of desk lamps with CFL bulbs and a plastic cup as a "light tent",

along with coraplast, plastic mirrors and foam core.

I do use a camera stand that is out of most individuals reach but a simple tripod would do.

One of the biggest things that helps my photography is a remote shutter release (camera shake).

The same principles that I use for portraiture I use for my flies.

If you would really like to get into some really simple but elegant table top setups lookup Dean Collins. This guy is my hero!

Kimo

Man the photos are GREAT on many of these flies. Some of you must have a small fortune tied up in photography equipment! Very well done indeed!!!

like so many things, it's not how expensive the gear, it's how you use it LOL ! Most of today's digital point and shoot cameras with a macro function on them are pretty darned good, it's how you use light that really matters and how you stabilize the camera.. It's nice to have an SLR with true macro lens of course but for web posting you really don't need it. The larger sensor in them is more suited to larger print enlargement than low pixel count web photos.

Have to agree. In another life I shot Hassy, Canon and Sinar. I am now using a point and shoot that cost me $35 used off of Ebay.

I have all sorts of light banks and powerful studio flashes. Instead I am using a couple of desk lamps with CFL bulbs and a plastic cup as a "light tent",

along with coroplast, plastic mirrors and foam core.

I do use a camera stand that is out of most individuals reach but a simple tripod would do.

One of the biggest things that helps my photography is a remote shutter release (camera shake).

The same principles that I use for portraiture I use for my flies.

If you would really like to get into some really simple but elegant table top setups lookup Dean Collins. This guy is my hero!

Kimo

So true. It's not about the paintbrush that the artist uses...

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Retro baby craw

It's starting to warm up here so the yabbies will be on the move soon

Nice ties retro! Your lucky! In our northern parts our yabbies are getting ready to dig in soon. Here are a couple of yabbies I crafted from felt 2mm. The stuff that you put under chair and table legs to keep from scratching the hardwood floors. Kinda gives the bugs a fuzzy look. I went with fox squirrel for the claws and a little dubbing underneath and some soft hackle for legs. The weight runs the length of the tail and if I need more I go with a sink tip or a split shot. Gotta love spring yabbie hopping! Good luck to you.

PB050085_zpsfj1mo9m2.jpg

I like those chuck ... Maybe you could send me the tying instructions.

Retro,

That fly really stands out in that last shot. Looks great.

Is this a new fly for this season, or a repeat offender?

Kirk B.

Hi kirk ,

It's a new pattern that I just knocked up last night lol .... I realised that I didn't have any immature crayfish patterns to hand so I decided to have a play....... Thanks

Playing with stones, Day 2.

StoneTrio_zpsfazm7inl.jpg

eric

fresno, ca.

if you turn your biots so the crown is to the inside the horns and tail will splay out more. just an observation

It's a larger pattern tied on a size 14, and they are Realistic Mayfly Wings I got from FrostyFly.com. I actually posted this in the videos section of this website, so you can see it tied there.

TC

G'day TCTROUT

Is that tied on a size 18-20 hook and what did you use for the wings?

Cheers

VB