Fly Tying
deerhairdan

December Flies From the Bench

^ I can definitely see where it's heading. you should check out some blane chocklet body tubing for the head. Cool stuff- and you can even stack a deer hair collar behind it.

post-54671-0-07047100-1450407859_thumb.jpg

Here is an articulated fly using some of the Holo Chenille I sell. It is so much different than polar chenille and palmer chenille, hackle flash- etc- because it has some built in body into- plus the added holographic tinsel. You don't need to use as many wraps- when I did a hook to hook comparison- 10 wraps of polar chenille was equivalent to 5 of the Holo Chenille. Has been doing really well oversees for guys chasing pike and musky- plus trophy trout in the US.

Rear Hook-

Tail- Marabou

flash-Micro Flashabou + Polar Flash

Body- Twisted Holo Chenille with Schlappen

Front- Black Barred White rubber legs

Collar- Laser Dub- white

Sealant- Loon UV Flow

Connection- 19 Strand Beadlon- 1 6mm bead.

Connection Cover- White Magnum rabbit with polar flash

Body- Silver Holo Chenille then 3 open wraps of white magnum rabbit

Head- Laser Dub

www.inpursuitoftrout.com

^^^ very nice fly InPursuitofTrout. I am not a fan of the body tubing except for on the head of a fly so I can hid a rattle in it. I need to build a better taper into the rear body of my fly to get it set right as well as some more feathers and flash

vzugyv.jpg

95rmgj.jpg

2m2i8mb.jpg

fto6zc.jpg

Been messing around with some articulate d sliders inspired by fly fish food. I call the last one Rufio.

These little flashy guys have been doing pretty well for me too.

30csupk.jpg

Scott,

The only thing that exceeds your photography is the beauty of your flies!! Those things look so good, I think I would eat one! I don't like pain, so, I probably wouldn't give you much of a fight.

Anyway, beautiful work in both cases!!

I think personally naming flies is cool. It isn't a form of classification, beyond major types (clouser, popper, hopper, etc.). Some people have a system, like Retro... names all his flies "Retro somethingorother". I did a Black and Blue that I think I'll name after Fats Waller. I like it when the names have some connection to something, some place, some person, that is relevant to the fly. I do have a problem with using a name that someone else already used.

That's kinda what I thought, I'm glad to hear I'm not quite as dumb as I thought. And Utyer, yours is a great explanation and one I had thought of. A big thanks to both of you gentlemen!

vzugyv.jpg

95rmgj.jpg

2m2i8mb.jpg

fto6zc.jpg

Been messing around with some articulate d sliders inspired by fly fish food. I call the last one Rufio.

These little flashy guys have been doing pretty well for me too.

30csupk.jpg

Just love the articulated muddler minnow if that's what it is .

Might have to tie some of those for brownies

Very nice Scott. Kinda reminds me of a soft hackle geehi beetle.... anyhoo... from the sublime to the ridiculous.

1/10 oz lead eyes plus 1.5in long 1/4in lead strip underneath should get this 2/0 down quick ;)

post-22241-0-39433300-1450438431_thumb.jpeg

post-22241-0-29512600-1450438449_thumb.jpeg

Just for grins I tried tying (rolling) some deer hair the other night........no grins involved. To say they looked like crap would be an enormous compliment.

I wish I knew someone else in this area that did some tying that could show me some secrets. The Youtube vids look so simple, but, reality is something else! Everything looked good during the trimming, stacking, laying on the hook shank, placing the loose wraps and then.........Pfffffft!.....tighten that baby up and it didn't even resemble a ball.

But, I'm not giving up.......I WILL get it, even if I have to shoot a deer!

When I first tried ... it didn't flare at all. I found out that the hair I was using was buck-tail and not body hair. Buck-tail doesn't have a hollow shaft and so, does not flare.

Once I had some body hair, it did exactly what it was supposed to do.